What's new

Blade Wars: Kai vs. Gillette Silver Blue

This is a tough competition! Tried the Kai blade once and really liked it, but the better cost ratio of the GSB is a factor...I simply love my GSBs and the Nacets have been solid performers too..this is almost like choosing between ice cream flavors where the best preference will win!! Both are great blades.

Shave 2
face lathered with Proraso Green soap
silver=right, black=left

I followed yesterday's wonderful three-pass shave with a satisfying two-passer. On the first pass, the silver was smooth, but the black - which was also smooth - did a better job cutting through the wiry hairs on my chin. The second pass was great for both razors, but the black seemed to glide along a tiny bit more easily.

Slight advantage: Black

Followed with some homemade mentholated alcohol/witch hazel splash, some Nivea Sensitive balm, and three squirts of Terre D'Hermes EDT.

Nice work! I'm currently testing these two myself, along with Astra SP and Feather. Can't wait to see your decision.

In my DE89 I can tell a definite difference in face-feel amongst these two blades. Enough so, that I believe I could tell which-is-which in a blind test. KAI has a very distinctive feel to me - different than others.

Shave 3
Face lathered with Stirling Arkadia
black=right, silver=left

I did an early-morning two-pass shave today. On the first pass, the black did a better job cutting through the tougher whiskers on my chin. The second pass was wonderfully smooth with both razors.

Very slight advantage: black

I have my fingers crossed, but I'm thinking that the Kai is going to make this quick. Black is a stone cold whisker assasin! Samurai Steel at it's finest!!!!
IMG_0043.GIF

Nice work! I'm currently testing these two myself, along with Astra SP and Feather. Can't wait to see your decision.

In my DE89 I can tell a definite difference in face-feel amongst these two blades. Enough so, that I believe I could tell which-is-which in a blind test. KAI has a very distinctive feel to me - different than others.

Feather vs ASTRA SP there's no comparison. I'm actually disappointed I bought the ASP. The 7 o'clock black's blow ASP out of the water.

OP you should call it. Black is up 3 to 0...which is which? I'm going black is Kai

Feather vs ASTRA SP there's no comparison. I'm actually disappointed I bought the ASP. The 7 o'clock black's blow ASP out of the water.

OP you should call it. Black is up 3 to 0...which is which? I'm going black is Kai
Everybody is different, for me Feathers are the most operated blade in shaving. I'll stick with my cheap *** lord super chromes all the way to the bank.

Shave 4
face lathered with TOBS Lavender
silver=right, black=left

Pass 1 - Silver was smooth. Black had a little more drag than silver.
Pass 2 - Silver felt a little scratchy. Black had a little more drag than silver.

A splash of Pinaud Bay Rum and I'm off.

slight advantage: silver

This is like a blackout in the middle of the Rumble in the Jungle! Eagerly awaiting the next round, hope all is well with you @cw62803
Thanks for your concern. I had a little work pressure on me the last few days, so I temporarily switched to a different razor. But the lights are back on and the Rumble continues....

So... silver was doing the rope-a-dope while black punched himself out. Wondering if silver will have a late rally to KO black.

Actually, I was speaking of KAI vs GSB - the two (subjects) of this thread.

But your point is well taken, even if I'm O.K. with ASP.

Shave 5
Face lathered with IB Acquatico
black=right, silver=left

A two pass shave today. One with the grain, the second against. On both passes the silver dragged more than the black, which was smooth and clean.

Advantage black.

Followed with Aqua Velva.

I'm thinking Kai may be great for the first couple shaves then fall off quickly, even though I've never tried one. I base this on my experience with GSB, which is a great blade for several shaves, and at just 2.5 shaves per blade so far, I don't see it starting to give up the ghost this early. Then again, I've been wrong on about 90% of these blade wars, so a smart man should probably bet against me.

Top Bottom