What's new

Blackland Brotherhood - B³

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
So as most here know I have been a 1 razor guy for the past 3+ yrs now with my Ti95DC and have been very happy with its performance and steady 16-20hr BBS every shave out but things have changed now and have officially, Jul 2021, became a 2 razor guy and can't be happier with how things have unfolded and owe a big thanks to @Hannah's Dad for selling me his Ti Blackbird as his loss was my gain!! I can't believe its been 4 months now since I received this razor but I finally feel I have put it well through the paces and am finally ready to share some thoughts...

I think I kinda knew from shave #1 but needed some extra time to experiment and fully put it up against the Ti95DC since that was the razor it would ultimately replace or become part of a rotation, although if I'm being honest the TiBB has had the majority of shaves since July and its really hard "not" to pick it up for every shave!! I think the only worries I had thought of prior to picking it up were the handle and how it clamped the blade down.

The handle had me worried in that it is thinner than the handle of my Ti95DC and the ribs go N-S so of course I thought it would be exceptionally slipper during the shave but it didn't take long to realize I had nothing to fear as it is very grippy and in fact the thing I like most about it is the ball at the end of the handle has become my favorite feature as it really helped tune in the steep angle shave it seems to require and I've found by holding it right above the ball I can maintain the angle much better and really don't have to think about it like I did with the Ti95... In fact it has changed the way I grip the Ti95 now as I hold that handle down towards the end of the handle and maintain the steep angle better than I've done in the past with it. The way the top cap clamps down the blade I had always envisioned since it doesn't clamp near the edge of the blade like the Ti95 I feared it must have major chattering but was relieved upon 1st use that it was all in my head and nothing more than a theory I had read about in a few threads in the forums. I'd say the blade is clamped down very well and in fact is solid.

I have tested every blade I have in my cabinet;

Shark SS & SC - These work best in the Ti95.
Silver Star - My go to blade for the Ti95 but works as well in the TiBB.
Nacet - Seems to be a rough blade overall in both razors
Bic Platinum - Basically a 1 and done regardless of razor!!
Perma Sharp Super - Worked well but I found the feather was much better.
Feather - Against my better judgement this is the one that works best, IMO, and will always be used in the TiBB!!

I guess with all that said the only other thing I can really think of that I found to be in line with some other reviews was that the razor at times feels like it has very acute edges on it and almost feels sharp during the shave but to be honest I really don't feel anything like that after a few months of using it... The biggest difference between the TiBB and the Ti95 is to me the Ti95 has much less blade feel but yet is the same in efficiency when compared to the TiBB and that's ok in my book!! Other than that I'm sure I will enjoy both razors very much but have a feeling I know already which razor and blade combo will see the majority of the time....

Dan was very right in his suggestion to me in that the Feather / TiBB, or as he put it, the Feather and any BB will be the winning combination and I couldn't agree more!!
View attachment 1353185
Mike, awesome report, my friend!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So as most here know I have been a 1 razor guy for the past 3+ yrs now with my Ti95DC and have been very happy with its performance and steady 16-20hr BBS every shave out but things have changed now and have officially, Jul 2021, became a 2 razor guy and can't be happier with how things have unfolded and owe a big thanks to @Hannah's Dad for selling me his Ti Blackbird as his loss was my gain!! I can't believe its been 4 months now since I received this razor but I finally feel I have put it well through the paces and am finally ready to share some thoughts...

I think I kinda knew from shave #1 but needed some extra time to experiment and fully put it up against the Ti95DC since that was the razor it would ultimately replace or become part of a rotation, although if I'm being honest the TiBB has had the majority of shaves since July and its really hard "not" to pick it up for every shave!! I think the only worries I had thought of prior to picking it up were the handle and how it clamped the blade down.

The handle had me worried in that it is thinner than the handle of my Ti95DC and the ribs go N-S so of course I thought it would be exceptionally slipper during the shave but it didn't take long to realize I had nothing to fear as it is very grippy and in fact the thing I like most about it is the ball at the end of the handle has become my favorite feature as it really helped tune in the steep angle shave it seems to require and I've found by holding it right above the ball I can maintain the angle much better and really don't have to think about it like I did with the Ti95... In fact it has changed the way I grip the Ti95 now as I hold that handle down towards the end of the handle and maintain the steep angle better than I've done in the past with it. The way the top cap clamps down the blade I had always envisioned since it doesn't clamp near the edge of the blade like the Ti95 I feared it must have major chattering but was relieved upon 1st use that it was all in my head and nothing more than a theory I had read about in a few threads in the forums. I'd say the blade is clamped down very well and in fact is solid.

I have tested every blade I have in my cabinet;

Shark SS & SC - These work best in the Ti95.
Silver Star - My go to blade for the Ti95 but works as well in the TiBB.
Nacet - Seems to be a rough blade overall in both razors
Bic Platinum - Basically a 1 and done regardless of razor!!
Perma Sharp Super - Worked well but I found the feather was much better.
Feather - Against my better judgement this is the one that works best, IMO, and will always be used in the TiBB!!

I guess with all that said the only other thing I can really think of that I found to be in line with some other reviews was that the razor at times feels like it has very acute edges on it and almost feels sharp during the shave but to be honest I really don't feel anything like that after a few months of using it... The biggest difference between the TiBB and the Ti95 is to me the Ti95 has much less blade feel but yet is the same in efficiency when compared to the TiBB and that's ok in my book!! Other than that I'm sure I will enjoy both razors very much but have a feeling I know already which razor and blade combo will see the majority of the time....

Dan was very right in his suggestion to me in that the Feather / TiBB, or as he put it, the Feather and any BB will be the winning combination and I couldn't agree more!!
View attachment 1353185
Awesome review! :thumbup:

Fantastic shave
- Blackland Vector SB
- Feather Pro blade (2nd)
- Grizzly Bay So Serious V12 Fanchurian
- Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA Peach Cube Mentholated
-345 Open Range set
20211117_094742.jpg

Shave no. 3 and 4 with my new Vector are in the books...

20211204_131129-01.jpeg
Today's shave was another dramafree and very nice one, again. I'd dare to say I have dialed in my technique with the Vector now. Getting used to the Vector hasn't been hard work, since I can shave with this razor based on intuition alone. 100% cruise control. Lovely.

It is a keeper! :001_wub:

Shave no. 3 and 4 with my new Vector are in the books...

View attachment 1373323Today's shave was another dramafree and very nice one, again. I'd dare to say I have dialed in my technique with the Vector now. Getting used to the Vector hasn't been hard work, since I can shave with this razor based on intuition alone. 100% cruise control. Lovely.

It is a keeper! :001_wub:
That's great to hear. What blade are you liking?

That's great to hear. What blade are you liking?
If you don't mind I'll get back to your question in a couple of weeks. I just have received a blade sample pack. The Vector is my first SE razor.

The blade I'm currently using is the Feather Soft Guard, which appears to be a rather mild blade. It's been a good starting point for me, though.

If you don't mind I'll get back to your question in a couple of weeks. I just have received a blade sample pack. The Vector is my first SE razor.

The blade I'm currently using is the Feather Soft Guard, which appears to be a rather mild blade. It's been a good starting point for me, though.
Yep you'll need to run through them.
Before I sold my AC I keep coming back to the feather super pro. Everybody's different though, that's what makes it interesting.

I thought my Blackland Tradere SB was my last razor. Shaving daily, it was used about 90% of the time.

The Black Friday sale gave me an opportunity to try a Blackbird, a razor that I was always fearful of and therefore resisted.

I‘m glad that I waited until my technique had improved enough. With my current ability, this razor is nothing short of phenomenal. It is efficient and comfortable. For me, the blade feel while there is not uncomfortable at all. After the feel of the Janus razor I was afraid of too much blade feel but this feel is not at all threatening and perhaps reassuring.

The learning curve I expected just isn’t necessary. Two shaves with a Personna red (3rd and 4th for that blade) and a new Nacet have all been outstanding.

Finally, the style and the fantastic handle make this likely to be my new everyday razor.

I got a Ti Vector at the beginning of the month. I have only a handful of shaves with it as I have been rotating pretty heavily, but today it definitely seemed to click as I went with a shallower angle than my normal steep angle. I have probably 4 shaves on a Schick Proline and decided to try a different blade becaude the shaves have not been very comfortable but decent enough results. I switched to a Kai Captain Titan Mild and comfort was even worse, felt like scraping. So I went shallow(er) and this razor really started to shine. The angle wasn't hard to find, but I was being a little obstinate and thought I had read elsewhere steep was preferred. Any thoughts on angle?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Any thoughts on angle?

My only Blackland razor is the stainless Blackbird which is very different from the Ti Vector, but shallow works for me with it and steep works for many other people.

Sounds like cap-riding is your bag.

If it keeps feeling smooth going shallow and trims your stubble as desired, keep at it.

If steep gives you the closeness and efficiency you crave, soak your whiskers a little longer, make your touch a little lighter, and find the same shaving Nirvana others have found with that route.

Top Bottom