Blackland Brotherhood - B³

SOTD[emoji173]
- Blackland Brassbird OC
-Rapira Super Stainless (2nd)
-Sawdust Creations brush w/26mm shoat boar
-Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA Ice Cube
-345 Soap Co. General Patton set

Excellent shave this morning. I think I've found the sweet spot angle with the OC. It's a more neutral angle than the SB Blackbird. I find with the SB you get the smoothest shave with a steep angle but the OC does better with a neutral angle.

I'll also say: with this oc I dont feel "sharp corners" like I do with the sb if I use the wrong angle.

Anybody else experience this? Either way, this razor is a top 3 razor for me along with my rex ambassador and my ATT mixed metal CR1.
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

SOTD[emoji173]
- Blackland Brassbird OC
-Rapira Super Stainless (2nd)
-Sawdust Creations brush w/26mm shoat boar
-Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA Ice Cube
-345 Soap Co. General Patton set

Excellent shave this morning. I think I've found the sweet spot angle with the OC. It's a more neutral angle than the SB Blackbird. I find with the SB you get the smoothest shave with a steep angle but the OC does better with a neutral angle.

I'll also say: with this oc I dont feel "sharp corners" like I do with the sb if I use the wrong angle.

Anybody else experience this? Either way, this razor is a top 3 razor for me along with my rex ambassador and my ATT mixed metal CR1.
proxy.php

Fayiz D.
My Brass'Bird isn't an open comb, but it's one of my favorites for smoothness and efficiency. It isn't polished either, but I'd be interested in getting that done. SOTD.
Imagepipe_49.jpg

A fantastic shave today[emoji7]
-Blackland Brassbird OC
-Nacet (1st)
-Sawdust Creations w/ 26mm shoat boar knot
-Capt choice copper bowl

-PAA mentholated immortal peach cube
-M&M South Beach trifecta

The nacet worked flawlessly in the brassbird. Very smooth and efficient. No nics, cuts or irritation. No alum feedback to speak of.
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

Top shave today[emoji3059]
-Blackland Brassbird OC
-GSB (1st)
-PAA Phantom Aerolite
-Capt Choice Copper bowl

-PAA Ice Cube
-344 Soap Co. Watercolor Cooler trifecta

This blade worked great with the blackbird. Got a bbs shave with no nics or irritation and very little alum feedback.
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

Excellent shave! Used some of my favorite items
-Blackland Brassbird OC (Becoming my fave razor
-Rapira Super Stainless (new fave blade)
-PAA Amber Aerolite (PAA synths are my fave brushes)
-Capt Choice Copper Bowl (daily driver bowl)

-PAA Holly day cube (cube is my fave pre)
-345 Soap Co. Fresh Cut Fade Trifecta (345 soap co is one of my all time fave artisan software maker and this is one of my fave scents)

I had a phenomenal shave. Super smooth. Super comfy. No nics or cuts. Just smooth bbs face and smelling GREAT!
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

My brass bird arrived (101 handle) and I gave a run today. It has been a while since I have shaved with the brass Bird since I sold my brass Bird last year when I rationalized that I did not need a stainless Bird and a brass Bird, however, the sale was too good to pass up not to go for another brass Bird.

Great shave. I am curious from anyone that has both the stainless and the brass if you find that each metal has a different feel. I think that the brass feels a little smoother or maybe softer on the skin.

Bjlefebvre: maybe try different blade brands and maybe different angles. When I first used the Blackbird I also thought that it was too aggressive. I use Spoiler blades or vintage Wilkies however I get a good shave with GSB's as well. When I use the sharper blades I use a slightly lighter touch and slow down. Good luck with your new Bird.

IMG_1536 (002).jpg

My brass bird arrived (101 handle) and I gave a run today. It has been a while since I have shaved with the brass Bird since I sold my brass Bird last year when I rationalized that I did not need a stainless Bird and a brass Bird, however, the sale was too good to pass up not to go for another brass Bird.

Great shave. I am curious from anyone that has both the stainless and the brass if you find that each metal has a different feel. I think that the brass feels a little smoother or maybe softer on the skin.

Bjlefebvre: maybe try different blade brands and maybe different angles. When I first used the Blackbird I also thought that it was too aggressive. I use Spoiler blades or vintage Wilkies however I get a good shave with GSB's as well. When I use the sharper blades I use a slightly lighter touch and slow down. Good luck with your new Bird.

View attachment 1330563

Thanks! I'm going back and forth on whether to start out with one of the Personnas they included or go with the tried-and-true Astra. The latter are my go-tos for a mid-mild blade, while I keep my Nacets for when I want something sharper.

View attachment 1330563
I agree with your statement. The brass feels a little smoother to me as well. I also think it takes a different angle. Granted, I have the OC brass and SB SS but the stainless needs a more steep angle imo

Fayiz D.

First shave with the Brassbird this morning. Really smooth, close shave, with no irritation - the AS splash didn't burn at all. I went slow and hugged the cap, occasionally exploring different angles. I really like it. I'm wondering if the machined (not polished) brass makes it a little bit more of a smoother shave. I'll see how it goes tomorrow, but right now the big question I have is whether to let it patina naturally or to oxidize it to make it a black Blackbird.

PXL_20210919_132722241.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

First shave with the Brassbird this morning. Really smooth, close shave, with no irritation - the AS splash didn't burn at all. I went slow and hugged the cap, occasionally exploring different angles. I really like it. I'm wondering if the machined (not polished) brass makes it a little bit more of a smoother shave. I'll see how it goes tomorrow, but right now the big question I have is whether to let it patina naturally or to oxidize it to make it a black Blackbird.

View attachment 1330930
How would you oxidize it?

Fayiz D.

Basically clean it with soap and acetone, get a brass oxidizer solution (available on Amazon), dip it in, rinse with cold water and repeat to get the desired look. This video shows how (make sure to watch the whole thing because the guy makes a mistake in the first half that he then fixed in the second half) - he does it with brass pen parts. You can then either use it and have it develop an almost reverse patina as daily use rubs away some of the oxidation, or you can apply Renaissance wax to prevent that from happening.

Basically clean it with soap and acetone, get a brass oxidizer solution (available on Amazon), dip it in, rinse with cold water and repeat to get the desired look. This video shows how (make sure to watch the whole thing because the guy makes a mistake in the first half that he then fixed in the second half) - he does it with brass pen parts. You can then either use it and have it develop an almost reverse patina as daily use rubs away some of the oxidation, or you can apply Renaissance wax to prevent that from happening.
Interesting. I may do that on my machined one that is on the way

Fayiz D.

I just ordered super blue, Renaissance wax and acetone [emoji6] now to wait for my machined Brassbird

Fayiz D.

My only complaint of the brassbird oc: how is it so smooth and yet so efficient?!

I've become a daily shaver over the past month and with this razor, I barely feel stubble 24 hours later. I even considered forgoing today's shave! I grow coarse hair relatively quickly but this razor keeps it down longer. Partly because it's efficient but partly because it's so smooth and comfy to buff with that I do.

Got a very smooth, bbs shave with no cuts or alum feedback. No alcohol feedback from the splash either. Just awesome.

- Blackland Brassbird OC
- Bic Chrome Platinum (2nd)
- Grizzly Bay v7 fanchurian
- Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA Ice Cube
- Razor Emporium Old School set
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

Excellent shave today
-Blackland Brassbird OC
-Rapira Platinum Lux (1st)
-PAA Amber Aerolite
-Capt Choice Copper

-PAA Ice Cube
-PAA Droid Black soap
-Barbadeux (not shown)
-PAA Droid Black splash
EXTRA:
-PAA Droid black deodorant
-PAA Droid Black body powder

Very minimal alum feedback. No nics cuts or irritation.

Very smooth and smells great!!
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

Top Bottom