What's new

Blackland Brotherhood - B³

I understood that there is a rather common sense of those who have used the Blackbird that a steep angle is the way to go.

Against the rule my debut shave was made with an almost neutral angle, out of intuition. This angle worked out perfectly... But I will try out a steep(er) angle as well...

Maybe it's just a YMMV thing.

Last edited:
I understood that there is a rather common sense of those who have used the Blackbird that a steep angle is the way to go.

Against the rule my debut shave was made with an almost neutral angle, out of intuition. This angle worked out perfectly... But I will try out a steep(er) angle as well...

Maybe it's just a YMMV thing.
With more efficient razors, I tend to err on riding the cap more, which i did my first shave. The blackbird did better for me with riding the gaurd more, exactly how my favorite razor (rex ambassador) does.

Fayiz D.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@JAHE @Adjustingtolife - For more info on shaving with a steep angle, there is the Steep Andle Shavers Alliance (SASA):

:cool:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.

I‘m only three shaves in and have been cap riding the whole time. Since only my upper lip saw any WTG action; and that was only last night; it was probably for the best.

Will try a steep three passes tonight like a normal person.

I‘m only three shaves in and have been cap riding the whole time. Since only my upper lip saw any WTG action; and that was only last night; it was probably for the best.

Will try a steep three passes tonight like a normal person.

20210623_164111-01.jpeg
It appears I don't belong to the group of normal persons, lol (okay, I should have known it before.. I mean I'm sharing my thoughts on a shaving forum...:lol:). In the first pass I tested a strict steep angle (handle in parallel to the skin), but it did not add any benefit to my shave. The following passes (neutral angle) clearly felt smoother. I chased the baby and I easily got it without skin irritation, so I guess I just will stick with the neutral angle - as long as I can repeat this result on a constant basis.

Highly interested in reading your thoughts.

If you don't benefit from the change as well, c'mon over and have a seat in the corner of the non-normals :biggrin:

Last edited:
Forgot to post last night's shave

Been itching to use this razor/ blade combo for the first time. It was excellent. Very smooth bbs. No nics and ZERO alum stinging or splash burn. Lovely shave.

PAA Ice cube
PAA doppelganger black soap
PAA doppelganger black splash
PAA mysterium serum

Blackland blackbird
Feather blade (first)
Capt choice copper bowl
Rubberset 400 No.4 26mm 2 band badger
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

Todays SOTD
I've been getting many excellent shaves with no cuts or irritation. Not even any alum feedback.

Question: is it a common thing for the head to feel sharp against the skin?
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Todays SOTD
I've been getting many excellent shaves with no cuts or irritation. Not even any alum feedback.

Question: is it a common thing for the head to feel sharp against the skin?
proxy.php

Fayiz D.
Do you mean the blade feels sharp, or the metal of the safety bar feels sharp? If the blade, then yes it is common to feel the blade a bit (but still smooth overall). If you mean the bar feels sharp, you may be pressing a bit too hard.

Do you mean the blade feels sharp, or the metal of the safety bar feels sharp? If the blade, then yes it is common to feel the blade a bit (but still smooth overall). If you mean the bar feels sharp, you may be pressing a bit too hard.
It isnt the blade, I like blade feel. It's definitely the bar. I didn't know if that was common. It isnt an issue, it's another way to tell if I'm using the right angle and pressure. If I feel it then I let up and go slightly steeper and it goes away.

Fayiz D.

-Blackland Blackbird
-Rapira Platinum Lux (1st)
-PAA switchback w/ 26mm TGN silvertip badger
-Capt choice copper bowl

-PAA mentholated peach cube
-FLS James soap
-FLS James Splash
-FLS James EDP

Another fantastic shave with the Blackbird. This time used it with a Rapira Platinum lux. First time in the BB, and first time using this blade in several months.

This was a very smooth and efficient shave. No alum feedback or stung from alcohol in the splash.

proxy.php

Fayiz D.

Top Bottom