What's new

Blackland Brotherhood - B³

I am considering taking advantage of the Black Friday sale and adding the Blackbird Brass SB to go with my Blackbird Stainless SB. If you have shaved with both do you find any difference between the brass and stainless?

Thank you

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am considering taking advantage of the Black Friday sale and adding the Blackbird Brass SB to go with my Blackbird Stainless SB. If you have shaved with both do you find any difference between the brass and stainless?

Thank you

Will follow this thread with interest, although I did take the plunge and ordered a Blackbird Brass SB earlier today.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’ve had both; my perception of the brass was that it was a bit ‘warmer’ and ‘softer’ during the shave, but I have no scientific proof to confirm that. I also enjoyed being able to develop (and then polish off) a patina. Ultimately, polished stainless exerted its dominance and kicked the brass out of my den.

I’ve had both; my perception of the brass was that it was a bit ‘warmer’ and ‘softer’ during the shave, but I have no scientific proof to confirm that. I also enjoyed being able to develop (and then polish off) a patina. Ultimately, polished stainless exerted its dominance and kicked the brass out of my den.

Great comparison!! Especially as I also prefer the ‘no muss, no fuss’ aspect of SS! :a29:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Great comparison!! Especially as I also prefer the ‘no muss, no fuss’ aspect of SS! :a29:

Nothing wrong with Stainless - quite the contrary.

Brass just appeals to me on an almost emotional level.

Kind of like preferring yellow gold over white gold. ;)

Don’t have the brass but do have the stainless. It is an awesome shaver. I would like to believe the brass would be similar performance wise...just a different material and slightly different weight. I bet you couldn’t go wrong either way. Good luck with your dicissii

Looking forward to hearing about your new birds! I am jealous: as I have mentioned in a few threads I am quite enamored with the black oxide so waiting for that to come back in stock. All is not lost though: I picked up an Xmas Sabre on the Black Friday deal. @NoScrubs hooked me up with a Gem Jr to try and I really enjoy the GEM format. I hear it is an amazing razor.

I have the Sabre, it takes me a while to get used to it after strictly using DE razors for a while. I just get neck irritation for the 1st little while, no nicks. By about the 4th shave no more irritation. I'm using the L1 plate , have not tried the L2 plate yet. Right close up under the nose I have to do short (really short) side-to-side strokes to clean it up. It's a "solid feeling" razor, I quite like it.

Looking forward to hearing about your new birds! I am jealous: as I have mentioned in a few threads I am quite enamored with the black oxide so waiting for that to come back in stock. All is not lost though: I picked up an Xmas Sabre on the Black Friday deal. @NoScrubs hooked me up with a Gem Jr to try and I really enjoy the GEM format. I hear it is an amazing razor.
The Sabre is amazing! I hope you like it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20201202_120427~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Blackbird SB
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (4)
Brush: Mondial 1908 Faux Ivory (26mm Boar)
Bowl: Bamboo
Lather: Ach. Brito Mogno
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Excellent shave. :cool:

I have several Blackland razors, Sabre-both bases, Vector-both bases, and a Blackbird SS OC. All great razors.

Today my new "Black Friday" Brass Blackbird arrived with both handles. After being very satisfied with my SS Blackbird OC I wanted to compare the Blackbird SB to the OC. Although the OC version is not harsh it is an OC and you can feel the teeth. I was undecided as to just order the SS SB base or order a full SB Brass Bird. The winner was the Brass Bird with both handles (who could resist the sale).

Ok, same great efficient smooth shave as the OC however it is slightly more comfortable and a little more forgiving in shaving technique application. I will say that the 101 handle is a brilliant addition to the Blackbird, so much so that I can see myself using my SS OC Bird with the 101 brass handle.

As always with the Blackland product a great fit however my new brass bird did come with a couple of very fine across-the-grain scratches and a couple of spots that you would not expect on a new razor. Also, the traditional ring on the base from the handle was already present. I think some polish and elbow grease will correct most of the issues.

There is a place in the rotation for both the OC base and the SB base.

Brass3.jpg
Brass2.jpg
Brass1.jpg

Top Bottom