What's new

Blackland Brotherhood - B³

A5E63E88-999B-4BEB-80BF-5961B7B5A328.jpeg

What I had read might be a razor finicky about blades, has so far proven fairly accepting of a number of different brands. I had some very nice, smooth shaves with a Personna Blue this week. While maybe not as long lasting as a Wizamet, or maybe a Feather, it still provided some great shaves this week.

Razor: Blackland Blackbird sb
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Brush: Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo Synthetic
Soap: Zingari Man - The Explorer
Rating: 9.8/10

One tiny weeper but apart from that a very close shave. This is the fifth different blade I've used in the Blackbird since I got it and they've all performed perfectly. It doesn't seem to be blade sensitive at all. If I had to choose a favourite so far then it would be the BIC by a small margin, still got lots of others to try though.
IMG_20200919_175912.jpg

So far (one week in) I've only used a King C Gillette blade (same one, flipping every other shave). Today was with the scalloped bar, and 14 hours ago. Still really smooth.
Apart from this being my closest shaving razor, the other thing of note is how much longer the shave lasts. Like you after 14 hours it's still smooth and even after 24 there's only just enough stubble to warrant shaving.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20200920_101412~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector :001_wub:
Blade: Schick Proline (5)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Lather: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: Fine Italian Citrus
Fragrance: Shades Of Blue For Men EdT Spray (Belcam Version Of Light Blue Pour Homme)

Additional skin care: Crystal Alum, Thayers Rose Petal Skin Toner and Hyaluronic Acid.

WTG, ATG, XTG. Minor touch-up.

BBS (Bride Approved) with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Everything about this shave was smooth, effective, relaxed - absolutely superb. :cool: :)

Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Soap: Signature Soaps - Capra, unscented goats milk hybrid soap
Rating: 9.9/10

Super close shave again but with a tiny bit of irritation on the right side of my neck. I was over doing it slightly on one of my trouble spots.

Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum (1)
Rating: 10/10

Another different blade in the Blackbird and again a BBS, nick and irritation free result. After the Dorco I think I'll put
a Feather in it and see how close that feels. I'll probably also try a couple of blades from the milder side, maybe Voskhod and Ladas and see how they are in it. At some point I might also do a "shave off" between the Blackbird and my previous efficiency kings, the Rex Ambassador and the R41.

Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum (1)

Another different blade in the Blackbird and again a BBS, nick and irritation free result. After the Dorco I think I'll put
a Feather in it and see how close that feels. I'll probably also try a couple of blades from the milder side, maybe Voskhod and Ladas and see how they are in it. At some point I might also do a "shave off" between the Blackbird and my previous efficiency kings, the Rex Ambassador and the R41.
I have used the Voskhod the last two days and really like it in my 'Bird. Previous blade has been a KCGillette, and it was definitely sharper and longer lasting shave, but the Voskhod ramps up the comfort even further. And for my face it allowed my subsequent shave the next morning to have the amount of growth to allow an easy shave with no irritation whatsoever. Could easily prove to be my Go To in my BB.

proxy.php

I have used the Voskhod the last two days and really like it in my 'Bird. Previous blade has been a KCGillette, and it was definitely sharper and longer lasting shave, but the Voskhod ramps up the comfort even further. And for my face it allowed my subsequent shave the next morning to have the amount of growth to allow an easy shave with no irritation whatsoever. Could easily prove to be my Go To in my BB.

proxy.php
That's good to know, all the blades I've tried so far have been at the sharper end of the spectrum. It'll be interesting to see if like you, I also enjoy using milder blades.

proxy.php

Does anyone else get a 'dull' feeling from Voskhod on the first use? For the first cheek on the first use, it feels dull to me, then comes alive. I was wondering if it's the teflon wearing off but I have no clue.

I like Permasharp in the 'Bird, good balance of sharp to comfortable. Blades are so personal though...

Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum (2)
Soap: Signature Soaps - goats milk hybrid soap

Super close but very comfortable shave. Still loving the Blackbird and how well it works with the variety of blades I've tried in it so far.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Catching up.....All were excellent shaves! :cool:

20200923_121737~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Sabre L2 :001_wub:
Blade: Personna GEM (3)
Brush: @Rudy Vey White Zebra Stripe (Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan)
Lather: Martin de Candre Natural
Additional skin care: Crystal Alum, Thayers Rose Petal Skin Toner, CeraVe Moisturizing Cream and Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

20200925_132612~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional Super (1)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Lather: Martin de Candre Natural
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman VIBR
Fragrance: Pinaud Clubman Lime Sec

20200926_140120~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional Super (2)
Brush: ShaveForge Celestial Blue handle (TNS 25mm Quarter Moon knot)
Lather: Haslinger Ringelblumen
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Fragrance: Enforce Homme Eau de Cologne Spray (ParfumsBelcam version of Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20200927_125702~2.jpg

Pre-shave: Pinaud Clubman Shave Oil
Razor (ATG, XTG): @Blackland Razors Vector
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional Super (3)
Razor (WTG): Feather SS Artist Club Japanese Straight
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (6)
Brush: @Graydog Backyard Maple (TNS 26mm Full Moon)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Old Spice

Beautiful, relaxing Sunday shave! :)

I've got six shaves on the Voskhod blade now, and am still able to get to BBS, but it is taking more effort. Still better than I've ever been able to with my Timeless however. In spite of more cleanup passes than usual, zero afterburn. I LOVE THE BLACKBIRD!

P

pdillon

Lately I've become enamored with several Blackland razors and plan on ordering a blackbird (both plates, long handle--I think) when they come back in stock in black oxide.

I hear the blackbird is aggressive with plenty of blade feel. I'm hoping the blackbird may potentially be a daily driver for me. Does anyone know how the aggression would compare to the iKon B1 open-comb deluxe (or the Gillette New, of which it is a clone)?

I think the Blackbird is less aggressive than the iKon tech, as are most razors. I enjoy the tech occasionally but rarely use it on consecutive days.

I have my eye on the sabre and vector but am new to SE shaving so I decided to dip my toe in by getting an aluminum hawk v2 and Gem Jr. I have yet to try the Gem but the Hawk has not converted me to SE yet.

Cheers!

Top Bottom