What's new

Blackland blackbird

I bought the Blackland blackbird polished SB about 3 months ago.

I have been shaving more and more with it. It did bite me at the back of my head after my first two shaves.

But I am now more careful with it.

I really really like it. Very easy to move around my head. Quite noisy, but that doesn’t bother me. I get the least amount of irrational while using this compared to my timeless. I like my timeless master kit a lot, but the blackbird is my go to razor now.

Smooth, efficient, great looking. A keeper for sure!!

I’m thinking of getting the new jet finish in OC, but donmt think I have the budget ...... as I have just ordered a Karve and a paradigm

I bought the Blackland blackbird polished SB about 3 months ago. I like my timeless master kit a lot, but the blackbird is my go to razor now.
I have just ordered a Karve and a paradigm
bumping an old thread. How has the Blackbird fit into your rotation when you can choose between it and Timeless, Karve and Paradigm?

bumping an old thread. How has the Blackbird fit into your rotation when you can choose between it and Timeless, Karve and Paradigm?

If your question is how does the Blackbird compare to other premium razors, then it can hold its own very well. The Blackbird is like a track rat race car ... it doesn't look as pretty as the other race cars, but it's just as fast as anything else. The quality is just as good as any other razor I've seen.

The Blackbird is a very good razor, I would comfortably have it in my small collection. I am actually thinking of selling my timeless, but I wouldn’t sell my Blackbird. I was actually thinking of buying the jet black version.

That being said.......... since I bought the Karve and Paradigm Ti SE, I haven’t used my Blackbird or timeless set at all.

I used the Karve and it was very mild, but a very good razor. It could have been just the plates that I had, but I would have had no problem using my Karve (with a more aggressive plate) and Blackbird in a rotation.

I used the Karve once.

Then I used the paradigm Ti SE, I have not used any other razor since using this . It is very smooth, easy to use, and does not give me any irritation.

The Blackbird is a great razor and I would advise anyone to Get one.

the Paradigim SE is a different razor compared to the DE, and may have cured my RAD in it’s infancy

Is the paradigm your only experience with AC style SE? Or have you tried a few of them? Or is the Paradigm SE a gem blade?

I have the Blackbird safety bar in brass with the 85mm handle, as well as a Timeless safety bar, in matte stainless finish, smooth cap, with .68 blade gap and 85mm barber pole handle. Since getting them, any other razors I own, have not seen any use. I like them both that much. Several Merkur, Muhle, and vintage Gillettes have since been packed away. My Rockwell 6C and Gillette Speed Adjustable are still in the bathroom, but in reality are just taking up space.

Using the same 2 pass technique (N-S, S-N) with cleanup, Blackbird gives me a BBS, while Timeless will provide a DFS. If I have 2 days of beard growth, I’m grabbing the Blackbird. When shaving every day, Timeless generally gets the call. The Blackbird is a more efficient razor by far, but if I shave every weekday with it, my face would need the weekend off. With the Timeless, this isn’t an issue- 7 days shaving in a row, no problems. Actually, after using the Blackbird 2 days in a row, there really isn’t much stubble left to shave on the third. No doubt with the Blackbird, I could get a DFS on the 3rd day using one pass, it is that efficient.

I do prefer the lower profile shape of the cap on the Blackbird. It is simply easier to maneuver around my face. I also like the Blackbird’s handle with the smaller diameter, over the Timeless as well.

As far as quality, both are excellently produced razors. With both, fit and finish are outstanding. I would not give an advantage either way. As a disclaimer, the Timeless was purchased as a return/scratch/dent. I saved some money, and the razor I received, did not have a single mark on it. It was delivered to me in absolutely beautiful condition. The Blackbird was purchased new the day they were introduced.

If I could only keep one, with the setups I now have, the nod would go to the Blackbird.

Top Bottom