What's new

Blackland blackbird

okay fellas, so I'm interested in purchasing a blackland blackbird razor for the simple fact I haven't tried it yet. My question is... does the blackland razor accept other handles like stork, or triad? As I am not too fond of the handle they offer. I appreciate any info and your time gentlemen.

I don't know about Stork or Triad handles.

However, I just ran to my razor stand and tried an ATT handle. It threaded about half way due to the way the baseplate is designed with a "port hole" for the neck of the handle to pass through. The ATT handle straddled the port hole and this seemed to be enough to clamp everything tight.

If you could find a handle with a very narrow neck, it might screw on all the way.

Is your lack of fondness aesthetic, or functional? From a functional standpoint, the Blackland handle works great; plenty of grip no matter how slippy the conditions.

In terms of function the Blackbird handle is excellent; balanced and grippy, and beautifully machined.

Which bears no influence if your objections are aesthetic :D

I think the fluted style handle performs amazingly well, and fits with the razor's aesthetic. It is as grippy as any knurled beast. And of course. Ymmv. If your mileage is weird

Older post, but I recently picked up a Blackbird and absolutely love it. I purchased the short handle version and feel that the length and weight are spot on. It's the first razor where I have truly felt that the weight of it works very well when you just let it drop as you shave. Right now it's my #1 razor with the Oneblade Genesis as 1b. As for the handle grip, surprisingly it provide and excellent grip even when the hands are wet. I use alum on my finger tips for gripping the handle and skin stretching as well so that help out immensely.

I've only seen photos of the short handle version but never seen one advertised. I'd be interested to know where you obtained it from.

Congrats!

I agree about the handle; it is one of the grippiest handles I own.

The one blade core v2 runs and hides at the sight of my whiskers... The Blackbird howls with glee and attacks with abandon.

I have the oc and sb. The oc feels more aggressive, (but I don't think it is), and also my preferred base plate.

How aggressive is hard to answer...I would say the SB is similar to an ATT R1, but with less irritation for me. Maybe less blade exposure?

When I have a week's worth of growth the oc cuts it down without a fuss.

Edit: the trick for me with the Blackbird was finding the sweet spot. It likes steeper angles.

I just spent nine days in New England. Before leaving, I went through my ritual of contemplating which razor I could live with for nine days in a row, a streak I never force myself to endure at home. Given that I recently acquired my Blackbird OC, and that it challenged me in my first few shaves at home, I decided to take it, and only it, with me. I even bought a styptic pencil to take with, as I didn't trust my hand with this razor.

All nine shaves were flawless. The tactile and audio feedback is top-shelf, and the shave is as close and long-lasting as I can get. I got home last night, and used my ATT SE2 this morning, as I know it to be one of my best shaves with its resident Feather Pro Super. I've decided tonight that the SE2 shave is no better than the Blackbird OC. I'm going to give the SE2 a few days to re-take the lead in the dual, but right now it's a step behind. The Blackbird OC is a tremendous tool. And very pretty and well-built.

I received my Blackbird OC last week. 5 excellent shaves! I had no problems at all "dialing" in the angle. Yesterday I pulled out my ATT R1 for varieties sake. I ended up with a fair amount of irritation. Even skinned a spot near my chin.

Today's shave I went back to the Bird. I got a slight nick on my chin due to trying to avoid a raw spot caused by the R1. Alum and a styptic pencil cured it in no time. It was my fault and not the Bird's.
I too was concerned about the handle. I just thought it looked strange. Shane had a 101 mm handle to go with it. The more I use the handle the more I like it.
The Blackbird is a keeper for me. Gonna put the ATT away while I play with the Bird.

Received a non polished SB head in the post today with a view of having a custom handle especially made for it. There is nothing wrong with the handle in its standard form being terrific to use, grippy and with magnificent looks but my son is a fitter and turner and I've commissioned him to build me a special handle in titanium. After a lot of head scratching it was the Blackbird head I decided on as a basis of a special. The biggest point against the Blackbird head was the inletted part of the base plate which is just is a pain, ensuring that the handle can only be used on the Blackbird.

I find the Blackbird to be just on the higher side of mid aggressive, probably just a whisker more aggressive than the Timeless 95.

Just got a Windrose R3 handle for my Blackbird.
Fits great. Shaves great!
20170921_212927.jpg

Just got a Windrose R3 handle for my Blackbird.
Fits great. Shaves great!

The Charcoal Goods Hammered handle also fits the BB very well.

It has a lot of blade feel, but doesn't result in a lot of irritation.

Yes, exactly the same for me too. I have far more irritation with any of the ATT baseplates, and strangely, my Wolfman the last time I used it. I'll have to revisit the Wolfman again, as I don't recall having any irritation with it previously.

What's the blade noise level like on the Blackbird? I like quieter shaves, like my Rockwell and my Timeless. Just sold my Parker Variant, because it was just too noisy.

What's the blade noise level like on the Blackbird? I like quieter shaves, like my Rockwell and my Timeless. Just sold my Parker Variant, because it was just too noisy.
The Blackbird is VERY noisy. I find that it both shaves & sounds like an SE razor. The sound is like burnt toast being scraped.

Thank you!

I probably wouldn't like the noise, but I wonder if I may get used to it .... to achieve the great shaves I keep hearing about.

In a word, the Blackbird is awesome.

Also, I think Blackland has a great 30 day return policy if you don't like it. But give it a legit 5-10 shaves before making a decision; it took me a few tries to get used to it.

Top Bottom