What's new

Bic Blades ?

Ah, Meade is a popular world-wide brand of telescopes. Most of the inexpensive models come with that particular lens/eyepiece.

Looking forward to trying the BICs and the 49, now that I can make lather!
Prof

Hey Prof,

Oh the 49 will make lather all right, in fact so much lather that it's a bit of a joke.

The BICs at least on my face have given me smoothest and sharper shave than any other razor I've tried. So I'm really hoping they'll give you the same satisfaction.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hey Prof,

Oh the 49 will make lather all right, in fact so much lather that it's a bit of a joke.

The BICs at least on my face have given me smoothest and sharper shave than any other razor I've tried. So I'm really hoping they'll give you the same satisfaction.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi
Just finished up a 1 pass WTG with the ET and GSB(4). Used the Omega S and What the Puck with bottled water, I loaded the brush for half the time as usual and got 4 times as much lather........
I think the ET needs a Feather......
Prof

Just finished up a 1 pass WTG with the ET and GSB(4). Used the Omega S and What the Puck with bottled water, I loaded the brush for half the time as usual and got 4 times as much lather........
I think the ET needs a Feather......
Prof

Oh for sure ETs are really mild. A little too mild so I can't wait to get my piccolo.

Cheers,

Mawashi

I hope you are not joking mawashi? That like 1 blade lasts for nearly 45 days. Only from a mach3 blade I managed 20 days worth shaving. Feathers are brought on their knees by 4th shave.

Sorry for the late reply HereticHermit, somehow I missed your message.

No I'm not, I managed to get a feather to give me 30 shaves. Granted it was the first and only feather I've used, I was so fearful of it I shallow shaved it all the way.

I think that's how I got it to last.

Btw since April 29 I've used the BIC a good 20 or so times and it still shaves quite well.

I've only used one edge and yet to use the other 3 edges. This might be my first blade that hits the 40 or more shaves.

Last edited:
...I've only used one edge and yet to use the other 3 edges. This might be my first blade that hits the 40 or more shaves.

They only have two edges, hence "double edge". Flipping a blade does not change anything despite what some may believe. Think of a knife cutting through cheese. Both sides of the blade edge get used.

They only have two edges, hence "double edge". Flipping a blade does not change anything despite what some may believe. Think of a knife cutting through cheese. Both sides of the blade edge get used.

There are very slight differences, when I use my straights, when I flip the blade around there is a different feel.

Granted on a DE it is perhaps tiny but its a method I've used and so far it has given me an extra couple more shaves.

I used a Bic Chrome Platinum for the first time. Razor was a Karve CB w/ C SB plate. I put on another post, my first impression was that I was going to buy a 100. It was a very nice comfortable shave. To me it felt similar to an Astra SP, but sharper

I used a Bic Chrome Platinum for the first time. Razor was a Karve CB w/ C SB plate. I put on another post, my first impression was that I was going to buy a 100. It was a very nice comfortable shave. To me it felt similar to an Astra SP, but sharper

Fantastic!
The next few shaves will be even sharper. It gets feather sharp by the 3rd or 4th shave depending on how heavy your growth is.

What's most impressive is not the sharpness but the combination of sharpness and smoothness.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

This is a great thread!! Ratings are all over the place.

BIC (yellow) did not work well for me, obviously YMMV!

I'd rate them 8.5/10.

I can buy 100 for $10.5 locally. I have a small stash and this thread made me revisit them. They are good stuff.

I’ve been using Bic Blades in my Timeless .68 Safety Bar for the past week. For me in this razor, they are a great blade. A nice combination of smooth and sharp. I’d have no issues with buying them again.

Used a Bic(2) tonight in my Timeless .95 , I got a great shave, I wonder what's going to be one step sharper than a Bic?

I'd rate them 8.5/10.

I can buy 100 for $10.5 locally. I have a small stash and this thread made me revisit them. They are good stuff.

I’ve been using Bic Blades in my Timeless .68 Safety Bar for the past week. For me in this razor, they are a great blade. A nice combination of smooth and sharp. I’d have no issues with buying them again.

I've gotten 500 of they guys they're that good for me.

Used a Bic(2) tonight in my Timeless .95 , I got a great shave, I wonder what's going to be one step sharper than a Bic?

Only a feather is sharper out of the box but BICs hold the title for average sharpness.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

This thread caused me to break out my last Bic Chromium DE blade today. I used it in a Tech and had a very good shave with Fine Santal Absolut soap. It's just that I think top tier Gillette blades shave better, i.e., smoother. I will add a caveat however in that IMO the Bic blade is, as I have stated elsewhere, very razor dependent. As an example, for me it shaves better in a Schick Krona than a Tech. YMMV.

My favorite blade for about two years now. I have found them to work well in most any vintage razor (I don't have any modern razors). I've never tested how many shaves I can get from one blade, but I easily go a full week or two before I feel like it's time to change the blade, and even then I'm sure I could go longer. I've stockpiled about 700 BIC blades so there's no reason to wait until shaves become uncomfortable before replacing. My favorite razors are Gillette Old types and the BIC blades are a great match. As far as quality control issues go, I haven't yet had any problems.
My experience mirrors yours - I also get great shaves using them in my Gillette Techs.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
This thread caused me to break out my last Bic Chromium DE blade today. I used it in a Tech and had a very good shave with Fine Santal Absolut soap. It's just that I think top tier Gillette blades shave better, i.e., smoother. I will add a caveat however in that IMO the Bic blade is, as I have stated elsewhere, very razor dependent. As an example, for me it shaves better in a Schick Krona than a Tech. YMMV.
I have heard that BICs are very razor dependent, and I did give them a try with my Razorock SLOC, SE Piccolo, 54 Super Speed Flare Tip, 53 Tech, Chieftain, and 64 Slim.

The only razor that felt comfortable to me with a BIC was the Chieftain, my least favorite razor.

My notes from that shave 06/20/2019 "OK, it has been a while since I last used this razor(4 1/2 months). The BIC has tamed it, never felt like it wanted to bite. Not too bad on the neck, but this razor lacks efficiency in spades." YMMV
prof

I have heard that BICs are very razor dependent, and I did give them a try with my Razorock SLOC, SE Piccolo, 54 Super Speed Flare Tip, 53 Tech, Chieftain, and 64 Slim.

The only razor that felt comfortable to me with a BIC was the Chieftain, my least favorite razor.

My notes from that shave 06/20/2019 "OK, it has been a while since I last used this razor(4 1/2 months). The BIC has tamed it, never felt like it wanted to bite. Not too bad on the neck, but this razor lacks efficiency in spades." YMMV
prof

BIC blades are extremely sharp. While not quite as sharp as a Feather blade on the first shave, they become even sharper after the first shave. Thus, for most shavers, they may be better suited in milder razors such as the Tech and SuperSpeed. I would not even consider putting one in my Muhle R41 as that combination would be far to aggressive for my sensitive skin, but those who like using Feather blades in an R41 could probably use BIC blades as well.

BIC blades are extremely sharp. While not quite as sharp as a Feather blade on the first shave, they become even sharper after the first shave. Thus, for most shavers, they may be better suited in milder razors such as the Tech and SuperSpeed. I would not even consider putting one in my Muhle R41 as that combination would be far to aggressive for my sensitive skin, but those who like using Feather blades in an R41 could probably use BIC blades as well.
I always got some small nicks with feather on the first shave are the BIC like that or are they smooth from the start?

I always got some small nicks with feather on the first shave are the BIC like that or are they smooth from the start?

With BIC blades, the first shave will probably be OK. You need to watch out for the second shave. As the coating wears off they become every bit as sharp as a Feather blade out of the package. Thus, I avoid them in aggressive razors, but they are one of my favorite blades in mild-moderate razors. If your technique is good (nice lather, proper shave angle, minimal pressure), BIC blades can be wonderful, especially for those with tough beards.

Top Bottom