What's new

Bic? How does it compare against Astra or GSB?

Interesting; so far I had only good things to say about BiC blades, but what kept me from using these blades more often was what I considered an excessive variation between batches.
Some people apparently had stellar experiences with them and some people outright loathed them.

But various comments in this thread about BiC blades working better in some razors than in others have me now thinking that it may be BiC pairings with different razors rather than variations between batches that result in conflicting experiences.

For me that is good news, because BiC blades seem to get along just fine with my safety razors (Tatara Masamune Nodachi, Tatara Muramasa, Mühle R41, Mühle Rocca) and where I live BiC blades are inexpensive and plentiful.

B.

Last edited:
Significantly sharper and smoother than either, most likely closer to Nacet and Feather in terms of sharpness. But Bic Chrome Platinums are also very razor dependent, they feel like a tuna can lid in my 34c and DE89 but insanely smooth in my Edwin Jagger 3one6. The variability is what I attribute the all over the place reviews on them to. As always though, YMMV.
Bic Chrome platinum blades work well with my King C Gillette razor.

+1

Bic Chrome Platinum is much sharper than both the Gillette Silver Blue and both Astras (you didn't specify which of the two Astra models.)

P.S. Please define a "crud ton of blades".
Around 2,000 blades. Some guys have more than one razor; I have more than 3 years of blades.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
The BIC and progress combo is phenomenal!!

My two all-time favourite combos are BIC with blackbird and BIC with progress.

These are all I use now!
Will give it a try in the Progress. The bend it outs in blades certainly helps with Feathers, so fingers crossed for the BCP as well.

Will give it a try in the Progress. The bend it outs in blades certainly helps with Feathers, so fingers crossed for the BCP as well.

Exactly!
The blade bend and the head geometry of the Progress is very special and extremely underrated in the shaving community.

I know a bunch of guys who say progress is in their top razors but don't use it often.
For me, it's the opposite. I've stopped my search for the perfect razor, coming back to the Progress after around 8 years of searching for something "better".

But no, the progress (and blackbird of course) are currently my RAD killers!

And yes, the BIC CP is the best pairing (for me) with both these razors.

I actually used a progress exclusively for 4 years then very seldom for around 7 years, until ten days ago when I "rediscovered" its magic!

The T2 is also a great razor!
The progress for whatever reason gives me nicer shaves.
The two blades that work the best for me my T2 is the astra sp and the Gillette 7 oclock black platinum.

I recently bought around 200 Bic (one of the two blades that I can find locally). The other one is Astra Sp.

After reading @nav comment on the change of quality from yellow to orange I was a bit hesitant of the ones quality I bought. Mine are orange color. Today I used one of them in Karve Overlander today. I used a face preparation first (shower and soap on face). Usually I just use a bit of hair conditioner.
I am a bit relieved that the Bic blade worked really nice. I got an excellent BBS shave. Uhhh..

Are they sharper then Astra? My feeling is yes, however Karve Overlander tames the sharpest blade. I think Astra in Fatip is as sharp as Bic in Overlander for me.

• Cheers
Reactions: nav
I recently bought around 200 Bic (one of the two blades that I can find locally). The other one is Astra Sp.

After reading @nav comment on the change of quality from yellow to orange I was a bit hesitant of the ones quality I bought. Mine are orange color. Today I used one of them in Karve Overlander today. I used a face preparation first (shower and soap on face). Usually I just use a bit of hair conditioner.
I am a bit relieved that the Bic blade worked really nice. I got an excellent BBS shave. Uhhh..

Are they sharper then Astra? My feeling is yes, however Karve Overlander tames the sharpest blade. I think Astra in Fatip is as sharp as Bic in Overlander for me.

Great to hear it worked out well for you!!

One thing I forgot to mention is that the orange tuck BIC is more sensitive in blade forward razors, such as my daily go-to, the blackbird.

For me, the yellow and orange are like day and night.

Top Bottom