What's new

Bic Blades ?

With BIC blades, the first shave will probably be OK. You need to watch out for the second shave. As the coating wears off they become every bit as sharp as a Feather blade out of the package. Thus, I avoid them in aggressive razors, but they are one of my favorite blades in mild-moderate razors. If your technique is good (nice lather, proper shave angle, minimal pressure), BIC blades can be wonderful, especially for those with tough beards.
I totally agree with you.

These blades are definitely sharp.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
BIC blades are extremely sharp. While not quite as sharp as a Feather blade on the first shave, they become even sharper after the first shave. Thus, for most shavers, they may be better suited in milder razors such as the Tech and SuperSpeed. I would not even consider putting one in my Muhle R41 as that combination would be far to aggressive for my sensitive skin, but those who like using Feather blades in an R41 could probably use BIC blades as well.
That wasn't my experience, I gave one BIC 3 shaves and it tugged every shave the same. So I gave another BIC a try and it also tugged for 5 shaves. I tried them in 6 different razors and the only one that didn't tug was my Chieftain, a razor that I would never recommend to anyone. The only reason I keep the Chieftain is, it was my first DE, and a reminder to not trust Amazon reviews. The one razor I didn't try a BIC in was my GC 68, that is still an option.

I do like Feathers, as I like sharp blades, and can get about 6 shaves from one. But I have been using a Nacet as my go-to blade lately and have gotten 21 shaves from one. I also like GSB's also and get about 10 shaves from them. Most recently I have a Gillette Platinum that is on it's 10 shave and is still as comfortable since the first shave. I did try a Derby once when I first started DE shaving and it tortured my neck, but I chalk that up to inexperience. I have been thinking of trying them again as I have about 50 of them, and I also have some Sharks to try.

One thing that I have noticed as I get more experience with DE shaving is I get a lot more shaves from the same razors and blades as I did when I first started. Another thing, I have also recently started SR shaving, and that makes DE's a breeze! :a11:

prof

BIC blades are extremely sharp. While not quite as sharp as a Feather blade on the first shave, they become even sharper after the first shave. Thus, for most shavers, they may be better suited in milder razors such as the Tech and SuperSpeed. I would not even consider putting one in my Muhle R41 as that combination would be far to aggressive for my sensitive skin, but those who like using Feather blades in an R41 could probably use BIC blades as well.
I'd say to go for it, it might surprise you. In my case, the BIC works better in the Mühle Rocca than the Edwin Jagger DE89, and objectively the former is the more aggressive razor.

Bic Chrome Platinum is a horrible blade for me.
I tried to like them again and again. Always irittation and cuts. Not for me sorry...

Bic Astor on the other hand was quite good. It gave me a comfortable shave. But people say there are good and bad blades in the same package.
So I won't suggest these blades since they are on the expensive side.

Bic are very sharp blades and not for everyone. Those blades won’t tolerate poor prep or inadequate technique.
I have good technique 8 years now. I have tried 70+ blades but these suck. Whatever I tried.
Feather we're sharp I did not like them but with these improved. Bic's no. Not for me. And ok the cuts might be from the sharpness. The pimples and the irittation comes from the blade itself.

Badly coated batches aren't uncommon in BIC blades. IME if I get one bad blade (harsh), it's usually the whole tuck I need to bin. I've experienced this with all blade brands except Gillette Platinum, but those cost x2.5 time more.

Badly coated batches aren't uncommon in BIC blades. IME if I get one bad blade (harsh), it's usually the whole tuck I need to bin. I've experienced this with all blade brands except Gillette Platinum, but those cost x2.5 time more.
That is correct. I might revisit bics.

I'm sorry, but that is just usually myth. Watch this video of the factory where they make these. Unbelievable QC at work. The problem is usually the "Indian" and not the "arrow". Try the Bic blade in another razor that better matches the hone angle.

Reactions: nav
If BICs don't work for some it's no biggie there are plenty of other decent blades out there. Suffering through a bad shave over a 10¢ blade is rather pointless lol.

For example, I got razor burn n irritation on all 10 shaves I had with Astras, they work some just not for me so I PIFed some and sold off others.

Back on topic, I just had my 50th shave with a GC84/BIC combo and I've only used one side of the blade lol.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I'm sorry, but that is just usually myth. Watch this video of the factory where they make these. Unbelievable QC at work. The problem is usually the "Indian" and not the "arrow". Try the Bic blade in another razor that better matches the hone angle.

I only use one razor. They are perfect when they are perfect. When they stink, nothing I tried is as bad.

Are you saying bad blades are a myth and bad shaves are all bad prep? How do you explain a whole tuck being tuggy and harsh?

I only use one razor. They are perfect when they are perfect. When they stink, nothing I tried is as bad.

Are you saying bad blades are a myth and bad shaves are all bad prep? How do you explain a whole tuck being tuggy and harsh?

If you only have one razor, then you need to find the blade or blades that work for you in that razor. Razor blades vary in their grinds and their coating and not every blade works in every razor, especially if you have a coarse beard or sensitive skin.

Unfortunately, when millions of blades are being produced, occasionally a few get out that do not meet QC specs, no matter how good the process and CQ procedure.

If you only have one razor, then you need to find the blade or blades that work for you in that razor. Razor blades vary in their grinds and their coating and not every blade works in every razor, especially if you have a coarse beard or sensitive skin.

Unfortunately, when millions of blades are being produced, occasionally a few get out that do not meet QC specs, no matter how good the process and CQ procedure.

BIC works great in the Fatip OC mk2, not so great in the mk1 (too much flex). I've figured out what does the job for my face and I have no sensitive skin to worry about. I simply wish the product was more consistent.

When I get a dud with Astra SP it's not that noticeable at first. Starts a bit rough and gets rougher quick by third pass. With BIC I can immediately tell as I'm doing the first swipe with the razor, this isn't cutting it (pun intended).

Inspired by this thread I bought 100 BIC chrome platinums. And yes just as you say this is an extremely sharp blade. I am using the Leaf razor now that take 3 DE blade edges, pivots and have fixed blade angle. Normally this is a very mild shaver for me with Shark SS. First shave was very good. But with the second shave today the burn was insane and had lots of tiny tiny weepers. Not much bleeding or need for paper but wish I had some alum laying around. Record breaking burn from the aftershave. What I have found with this Leaf razor is that it works very well with a mild blade as the first blade and a feather blade as number 2 and 3. So these BICs will get used and will of course try it with a DE safety razor too soon.

Inspired by this thread I bought 100 BIC chrome platinums. And yes just as you say this is an extremely sharp blade. I am using the Leaf razor now that take 3 DE blade edges, pivots and have fixed blade angle. Normally this is a very mild shaver for me with Shark SS. First shave was very good. But with the second shave today the burn was insane and had lots of tiny tiny weepers. Not much bleeding or need for paper but wish I had some alum laying around. Record breaking burn from the aftershave. What I have found with this Leaf razor is that it works very well with a mild blade as the first blade and a feather blade as number 2 and 3. So these BICs will get used and will of course try it with a DE safety razor too soon.

There is a huge difference in sharpness between BIC and Shark SS blades. If you use the same technique with the BIC that you use with the Shark, I am not surprised at the weepers. With the BICs, you do not need to apply any pressure for the blade to do their job.

There is a huge difference in sharpness between BIC and Shark SS blades. If you use the same technique with the BIC that you use with the Shark, I am not surprised at the weepers. With the BICs, you do not need to apply any pressure for the blade to do their job.
Totally agree. Had another run with the Leaf & Bic combo this morning and made sure to use very little pressure and had very good results. They were still sharp at shave number 3 too.

Still using the first Bic blade I have tried. As of today I'm at shave 18. Today's shave was as comfortable as the second shave. The second shave was smoother than the first. How long will this blade last? I have received my orders for 100 Nacet's and 100 Gillette 7'Oclock Green's from India and have been waiting for weeks to try one these new blades.

Still using the first Bic blade I have tried. As of today I'm at shave 18. Today's shave was as comfortable as the second shave. The second shave was smoother than the first. How long will this blade last? I have received my orders for 100 Nacet's and 100 Gillette 7'Oclock Green's from India and have been waiting for weeks to try one these new blades.

I find that the Nacets are fairly similar to the BIC blades. They should work well for you. For me, the 7 O'Clock Greens are not quite as sharp as the other two, but since you get so many shaves out of the BICs, the Greens might work just fine.

I got a sample pack and it’s got a Bic Chrome Platinum I was gonna try next, but from what I can read here I’m not gone happy with them. I’ve Straight Razor shaved for years, but a Stroke and thinning my blood out made me have to go back to my DE’s.

Top Bottom