What's new

Bic? How does it compare against Astra or GSB?

Significantly sharper and smoother than either, most likely closer to Nacet and Feather in terms of sharpness. But Bic Chrome Platinums are also very razor dependent, they feel like a tuna can lid in my 34c and DE89 but insanely smooth in my Edwin Jagger 3one6. The variability is what I attribute the all over the place reviews on them to. As always though, YMMV.

Significantly sharper and smoother than either, most likely closer to Nacet and Feather in terms of sharpness. But Bic Chrome Platinums are also very razor dependent, they feel like a tuna can lid in my 34c and DE89 but insanely smooth in my Edwin Jagger 3one6. The variability is what I attribute the all over the place reviews on them to. As always though, YMMV.
That’s nice to know I enjoy Nacets. Very good blade.

I don't know how they match up against the ones you mention because I have never used those blades.

I do know that I like my BIC blades. They're pretty much all I use these days.

Personally speaking, to me a blade is a blade. It's either sharp and thus smooth, or it is not. I have never experienced this concept that a certain blade in razor A is great but a disaster in razor B. To me this is one of the many 'internet myths' of wet shaving. But as ever, YMMV 🙏

I find Bics much smoother and sharper than those Gillettes, but I get chatter from the Bics against the grain on my stubble and the third pass feels rough. I think it’s because the Bics have a very thin (acute) bevel. Maybe my hair is especially stiff or my skin is very sensitive to chatter. It’s a pity because the Bics feel noticeably better than all other blades with and across the grain. I’ve done a blind test (with no idea what blade was in the razor I used) and I got the same excellent first two passes and then it felt very rough on my third pass - and this was in a razor with exceptionally close clamping of the blade.

You should definitely get a tuck and try them, but don’t start by buying 100 before testing them. If they work for you they might be the best blades you can find. Unfortunately I can’t use them but I can still see why they are exceptionally good for other people.

I am trying out Bic CP for the first time myself, in my Henson AL13 (++). My go-to blade for years has been Astra SP, and I am very impressed with the Bic. It is noticeably sharper and gives a very close, smooth shave. BUT - everybody is different and they may not work as well for you, in your razor. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend giving them a try.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
I cant use Bics they tear my face to bit's, they are one of the rare blades that do. I much prefer Nacets and Permasharps, as always YMMV.
This has been my experience as well, I've yet to try them in my Progress however that puts a nice bend in the blade, so I'm hopeful that they may find a good home there.

They are very balanced in terms of smoothness and sharpness, however, they are also very razor depended and while in some razors they are phenomenal, in others they perform average or below average. Also, their QC is also not very consistent from what I remember and finding defective blades from time to time isn't uncommon. For these reasons, I no longer use them, because I don't like the idea of having specific blades that work only in certain razors or as others call it - razor and blade combo. Nacet Stainless works equally well in all of my razors, which is why is my one and only blade that I use and why I sold and gave away the rest of my blades.

YMMV.

I have always had problems with Bic's and in my Timeless then and my Blackbird now the 1st shave on the blade felt like the blade was jagged and always came away with more than a few weepers and just found any shave beyond that just pulled and tugged... Fast forward to this mornings shave in my Ti Blackbird and I corked the blade and found the shave acceptable but not in the same neighborhood as the Shark Platinum or Perma-Sharp's that I regularly use...

This has been my experience as well, I've yet to try them in my Progress however that puts a nice bend in the blade, so I'm hopeful that they may find a good home there.

The BIC and progress combo is phenomenal!!

My two all-time favourite combos are BIC with blackbird and BIC with progress.

These are all I use now!

BIC Chrome Platinums are closer to, but not quite as sharp as Feather blades. They last much longer than Feathers, though, and the cost is much less.
+1

Bic Chrome Platinum is much sharper than both the Gillette Silver Blue and both Astras (you didn't specify which of the two Astra models.)

P.S. Please define a "crud ton of blades".

Top Bottom