What's new

Best Thiers Issard straight razors

I've got three Aust, great razors all three. My three Wacker razors are just as good and more elegant, but they cost more.
I've got ten Thiers Issard razors and I'm waiting for the eleventh to be delivered. I've got no complaints.

I have 3 and had no problems with them at all this one i used last week

19.jpg

Anyone else want to chime in? I'm going to pull the trigger on new steel, later this week, and would love to hear any and all input on Thiers-Issard...

I bought a brand new TI bison a couple of years ago.
It has a bent spine.
It is the only razor I have
which gives me an intense negative emotional reaction.
I'm hoping that someday I'll develop the technique
to hone it properly.

It has a bent spine.
to hone it properly.

I've been reading up on them, and keep coming across posts talking about the TI being sharpened on convex stones at the factory, and that causing issues when honed by someone else on a flat stone. No idea if that's the issue with yours, or if it was just the result of a lovingly made straight, being assembled with a uniquely French flair and viewpoint - no offense to the French, I have heard a similar viewpoint also exists with Italian made products (e.g., Livi). Probably why there aren't a lot of vendors offering them in the U.S.

They are beautiful straights, though. I understand it's best to request a photo before buying, and only dealing with a well known dealer.

I've been reading up on them, and keep coming across posts talking about the TI being sharpened on convex stones at the factory,

ive not read that about TIs, have seen it about dovos, but its not a big deal. It takes moments to change the bevel. Most people probably dont even notice

learn good balance of edge geometry and honing to the edge profile and you’ll be good. Use the right tools and techniques and you’re golden. Just like if you try to use all your tools like a hammer (b/c thats all you know) its gonna be not great.

ive not read that about TIs, have seen it about dovos, but its not a big deal. It takes moments to change the bevel. Most people probably dont even notice

learn good balance of edge geometry and honing to the edge profile and you’ll be good. Use the right tools and techniques and you’re golden. Just like if you try to use all your tools like a hammer (b/c thats all you know) its gonna be not great.

I don't typically go to stones unless there's a real specific issue, anyway. For example, I have a Wapi, bought new, that had an edge chip, and after some work on a 30μm lapping film and progressing up, I finished on pastes - my preferred edge maintenance. CrOx and pasted strops handle my routine maintenance. I have heard that Europeans tend to favor pasted strops, too, but after looking over French and German sites, it appears that they've got the same basic rock routines and foibles (HAD) that we, in the U.S., do. I'm guessing that's due to reviving a dying art?

I sent my only new TI back. I will give a +1 to Ertan Süer, Rasoirs Sabre. My Legend Koroglu is a fine, well-made, but not elegant razor - red staminawood scales. The steel and honing are first class, nothing wonky that needs to be explained away.

I sent my only new TI back. I will give a +1 to Ertan Süer, Rasoirs Sabre. My Legend Koroglu is a fine, well-made, but not elegant razor - red staminawood scales. The steel and honing are first class, nothing wonky that needs to be explained away.

What was the issue with your TI?

What was the issue with your TI?

Very uneven bevel/honing and roughly finished scales that were not straight as pinned. Looked like apprentice practice, not like a production razor. I never even wiped off the oil, so I can't say anything about how it might have shaved.

@camoloc has the same model (a vintage tribute) and is happy with his, so mine might just have slipped through quality control. I got an immediate refund, with no comment at all from the seller.

Dear EspressoAndAftershave, I just had a quick look. At least five of your posts the last few days only consists of one word, the one listed above. It's true that straight razors are a hobby of mine and that I share my experience enthusiastically and have done that for quite some time. As stated in my motto (below) I'm well aware of how this can be interpreted. Please send me a personal PM if I'm crossing the line of what's acceptable and I'll try to better myself.

Dear EspressoAndAftershave, I just had a quick look. At least five of your posts the last few days only consists of one word, the one listed above. It's true that straight razors are a hobby of mine and that I share my experience enthusiastically and have done that for quite some time. As stated in my motto (below) I'm well aware of how this can be interpreted. Please send me a personal PM if I'm crossing the line of what's acceptable and I'll try to better myself.

Lol. No, you're not crossing the line. I'm being a clown. :clown: Thank you, though. I appreciate your sincerity. I'm using the word to be funny, as an excuse to spend way too much. Actually, I don't need any encouragement to spend! I love seeing your collection.

It has a bent spine.
to hone it properly.
Get a 1”-1.5” wide thuri, coti and jnat.
Rolling x-strokes on wider stones could help depending on how bend it is.Good technique to learn in any case.

I've been reading up on them, and keep coming across posts talking about the TI being sharpened on convex stones at the factory, and that causing issues when honed by someone else on a flat stone. No idea if that's the issue with yours, or if it was just the result of a lovingly made straight, being assembled with a uniquely French flair and viewpoint - no offense to the French, I have heard a similar viewpoint also exists with Italian made products (e.g., Livi). Probably why there aren't a lot of vendors offering them in the U.S.

They are beautiful straights, though. I understand it's best to request a photo before buying, and only dealing with a well known dealer.

It's bent.
I bought it new.
I have never honed it.
Laid flat on a flat stone,
on one side only the heel and the toe touch the stone
laid flat on its other side it looks like the rail on a rocking chair.

Top Bottom