What's new

Coticule vs Slate progression

Yesterday I noticed my T-I 188 5/8s was suffering from some water spotting patina. I decided to polish it before it became serious and followed with a new edge. I chose to do a coticule slurry dilution to finish under running water and I have to say this. I’ve used slate progressions, some followed by a black ark finish and never have any of those shaves been as comfortable as taking this particular razor all the way with just a coticule.

I am still new to wet shaving so I have been playing with different pressures and techniques. Somehow the stars aligned on this honing and it became a beautiful edge. No irritation or burn. Great feedback with the alum block. 👌

The equipment:

Ardennes Coticule (unknown vein)
Thiers-Issard 188 5/8
Illinois Razor Company 827 (25 laps)

This has been my most simple honing progression and I will absolutely keep this for this razor.

Yesterday I noticed my T-I 188 5/8s was suffering from some water spotting patina. I decided to polish it before it became serious and followed with a new edge. I chose to do a coticule slurry dilution to finish under running water and I have to say this. I’ve used slate progressions, some followed by a black ark finish and never have any of those shaves been as comfortable as taking this particular razor all the way with just a coticule.

I am still new to wet shaving so I have been playing with different pressures and techniques. Somehow the stars aligned on this honing and it became a beautiful edge. No irritation or burn. Great feedback with the alum block. 👌

The equipment:

Ardennes Coticule (unknown vein)
Thiers-Issard 188 5/8
Illinois Razor Company 827 (25 laps)

This has been my most simple honing progression and I will absolutely keep this for this razor.
Why do you think some of us collect these stones;)

Progression or not, there is something uniquely smooth with coticule and razor. Coticule and thuri seem to be created for razors
I need to figure out the working technique for the thuris and other slates. My observation has been, and this may be superstition, that it depends on the razor. I have a Dovo 6/8 Bergischer Lowe that responds well to a slate progression and ark finish. Meanwhile, I have a T-I that developed a great edge from the coticule alone.

I need to figure out the working technique for the thuris and other slates. My observation has been, and this may be superstition, that it depends on the razor. I have a Dovo 6/8 Bergischer Lowe that responds well to a slate progression and ark finish. Meanwhile, I have a T-I that developed a great edge from the coticule alone.
In my opinion a slate can make a good edge better, but you need allot of patience if you want to use it for more then that.

In my opinion a slate can make a good edge better, but you need allot of patience if you want to use it for more then that.
Absolutely. I’m excited to add a coarser slate (La Lune) to my lineup. I think it may be one of the missing pieces to speed up the process. Though I will say that under 30x my edges have looked amazing after an hour of working through a slurry.

Do they make candle scents or shaving soaps scented in Coticule or Slate Slurry? Lol

Absolutely. I’m excited to add a coarser slate (La Lune) to my lineup. I think it may be one of the missing pieces to speed up the process. Though I will say that under 30x my edges have looked amazing after an hour of working through a slurry.

Do they make candle scents or shaving soaps scented in Coticule or Slate Slurry? Lol
I would save the money.
I have two. One is good because the lalune is used as a backing for a coticule.
I would even feel bad for taking money from someone for the other one.

I would save the money.
I have two. One is good because the lalune is used as a backing for a coticule.
I would even feel bad for taking money from someone for the other one.
They have that much variation? What slate hones do you use?

So far my most comfortable edge has been produced on a coticule with the exception of another T-I that I used my Vermont green to bring the edge up and finished on the Black Shadow.

They have that much variation? What slate hones do you use?

So far my most comfortable edge has been produced on a coticule with the exception of another T-I that I used my Vermont green to bring the edge up and finished on the Black Shadow.
I get good results with slates. I just don't think the lalune stones are that good.

I wish I would’ve posted about a week earlier 😂. I could’ve used that money toward the purchase of an Escher.

I’ve got a gold dollar on the way for experimentation. I’ll have to do a separate thread about my results with different slate progressions.

Reactions: JPO
“They have that much variation?”

Well, think about it, these stones were made from mud, airborne or water carried dust/dirt over millions of years. Depending on what settled where and minerals from vegetation and dead animals altered the grit.

So, it is no surprise that the stone grits of the same type, can vary wildly. There is some generalization from one strata to another, but in the end, they are natural stones, where there was no “quality control”.

Honing on slurry can dull the edge from edge impact on the slurry, thinning slurry and honing under running water can add back keenness and at times polish, it is very stone and technique dependent. It can be easy to over do it.

Honing can be as simple or complex as you make it, dictated by what is needed at the time.

Haven't found the new-wave of garden variety black/green/red slates to be worth my while as razor hones. Usable to some degree but because there are a bizillion better options out there, I invest my time in other options.

Coticules, on the other hand, can deliver when the user jives with the rock. Being dialed in to the stone is critical.

Black Arks are not just one thing, they can be softer, hard, or super hard. I have a super hard black Ark that is outstanding in every way and edges off it are stupid keen and ridiculously smooth. One finish I use is Coti/Escher/Ark. That edge is off the hook. But since not every black Ark is the same, each example has to be evaluated on it's own. Process, technique and skills matter here a lot, maybe more than with many other finishers.

I wish I would’ve posted about a week earlier 😂. I could’ve used that money toward the purchase of an Escher.

I’ve got a gold dollar on the way for experimentation. I’ll have to do a separate thread about my results with different slate progressions.
Just get a thuri and forget about the Escher label.

There, I saved you a pile of money to put towards your next stone purchase.

“They have that much variation?”

Well, think about it, these stones were made from mud, airborne or water carried dust/dirt over millions of years. Depending on what settled where and minerals from vegetation and dead animals altered the grit.

So, it is no surprise that the stone grits of the same type, can vary wildly. There is some generalization from one strata to another, but in the end, they are natural stones, where there was no “quality control”.

Honing on slurry can dull the edge from edge impact on the slurry, thinning slurry and honing under running water can add back keenness and at times polish, it is very stone and technique dependent. It can be easy to over do it.

Honing can be as simple or complex as you make it, dictated by what is needed at the time.
Well this makes me feel better for checking my edge under 30x-60x every 15 - 20 laps.

Yup, I have a dozen Thruingian’s all different colors and 3 labled Eschers, all of the Thuringians deliver as good an edge at the labled stones.

Saving lables or boxes was not a thing until about 15-20 years ago, so there are a ton of unlabled Escher’s in the wild.

Thruingian’s are the Honda Accords of the razor honing world, they just work, not a lot of fancy technique required.

There are a bit better edges out there but a good Thruingian edge is hard to beat for a new honer and can keep you shaving for a lifetime.

But you are ahead of the game, in that you have created a good shaving edge that you are happy with, and you have a coticule that you know works for you.

Now you can experiment, worst case scenario you have a fall-back position with your coticule.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
One finish I use is Coti/Escher/Ark. That edge is off the hook.
And now I need to revisit my Coticules and see if I can do this also. Throwing an Escher in before the Ark is flipping wonderful, I can't hardly believe there's any more to be had from the edge I'm getting. I lapped my Coticules last week thinking I could replace 8 and 12k stones with a natural stone and now I see this thread.......It's a sign I tell you

Top Bottom