What's new

Best Modern High End DE Razor?

Hello my friend. The Gibbs is a brass razor with a Chrome finish on it just to set the records straight. There are also two aluminum versions with a gold finish on them.

Don't feel funny starting a Seperate Gibbs thread. I'd do it but I'm way to busy with the Shave Off thread and the Frenchie more than deserves it's own thread in my humble opinion. I also believe by doing so you'll get other members who have them in their collections and we might all get to see some rare ones. So got to it and get one started.
:thumbup:

Alright, I like the logic. I'll go ahead and start a Gibbs 15/17 thread, but non-Aluminum/gold coating. And I thanks for correcting me. I thought chrome at first, but then I second guessed myself. So I'll start a Gibbs No 15/17 Brass with Chrome coating. Then the next problem will be where to put the Personna when it gets here.

I had a chance to have the Shave Off today: Timeless SS 0.95 SB vs Wolfman SS 0.74 SB

SOTD 2018-10-11.jpeg
Astra Superior Platinum Blades - new
Paladin Moe 26 mm Harlequin 2CLSE5 - Maybe my new favorite brush, loving it
West Coast Shaving (Oleo) Pear-Brrr Shoppe Soap
PAA Cube Pre-shave Soap
RazoRock Alum block - not pictured
West Coast Shaving - Pear-Brrr Shoppe Aftershave

I performed my typical 2-pass shave with additional cleanup only under the nose. The Timeless was used to shave my left cheek and right jaw and neck. The Wolfman was used to shave my right cheek and left jaw and neck.

First Pass - The Timeless is smooth. It has nice weight, but today felt a little handle heavy in balance. The razor is efficient. Due to the thickness of the base plate the razor is not the most nimble and slightly challenging under the nose. The Wolfman was extremely smooth. The Astra blade seemed a better pairing than yesterday's Gillette Perma-Sharp. The Wolfman was well balance, highly efficient, and very nimble. The Wolfman had slightly more blade feel. It was noticeable but not significant. In clean up, the two razors had very similar results in the first pass. Note the only blood today was a skin bump/imperfection and yesterday's nick. Nothing at the fault of the razors.

Second Pass - Both razors performed well, smooth and efficient. Again the Wolfman was more maneuverable. Upon clean up it was extremely close. Almost hard to tell. I thought the Wolfman was slightly closer, but figured my mind was playing tricks on me. So I pulled out 2 Q-tips. I rubbed the Q-tips independently over the entirety of the shaved area by each razor, one dedicated for each razor. I found the Timeless Q-tip was more destroyed after. I even ran it a second time ... same result. So upon full evaluation the Wolfman was slightly more effective. Both were DFS.

Now after 8+ hours the Timeless area has grown back faster as well. So the Wolfman does have a little more blade feel, but it was very nice and enjoyable. The winner in both efficiency as well as the overall shave experience is the Wolfman. Again, today's results and as always YMMV. Hope this helps.

Nice review once again. I may have to try the same one but mine are Ti just have to wait to get them back from Frankie

Another very informative review Jared. Cg are some of the coolest looking razors out there. This is a fun thread to follow.
Happy shaves
Jason

I had a chance to have the Shave Off today: Timeless SS 0.95 SB vs Wolfman SS 0.74 SB

View attachment 919181Astra Superior Platinum Blades - new
Paladin Moe 26 mm Harlequin 2CLSE5 - Maybe my new favorite brush, loving it
West Coast Shaving (Oleo) Pear-Brrr Shoppe Soap
PAA Cube Pre-shave Soap
RazoRock Alum block - not pictured
West Coast Shaving - Pear-Brrr Shoppe Aftershave

I performed my typical 2-pass shave with additional cleanup only under the nose. The Timeless was used to shave my left cheek and right jaw and neck. The Wolfman was used to shave my right cheek and left jaw and neck.

First Pass - The Timeless is smooth. It has nice weight, but today felt a little handle heavy in balance. The razor is efficient. Due to the thickness of the base plate the razor is not the most nimble and slightly challenging under the nose. The Wolfman was extremely smooth. The Astra blade seemed a better pairing than yesterday's Gillette Perma-Sharp. The Wolfman was well balance, highly efficient, and very nimble. The Wolfman had slightly more blade feel. It was noticeable but not significant. In clean up, the two razors had very similar results in the first pass. Note the only blood today was a skin bump/imperfection and yesterday's nick. Nothing at the fault of the razors.

Second Pass - Both razors performed well, smooth and efficient. Again the Wolfman was more maneuverable. Upon clean up it was extremely close. Almost hard to tell. I thought the Wolfman was slightly closer, but figured my mind was playing tricks on me. So I pulled out 2 Q-tips. I rubbed the Q-tips independently over the entirety of the shaved area by each razor, one dedicated for each razor. I found the Timeless Q-tip was more destroyed after. I even ran it a second time ... same result. So upon full evaluation the Wolfman was slightly more effective. Both were DFS.

Now after 8+ hours the Timeless area has grown back faster as well. So the Wolfman does have a little more blade feel, but it was very nice and enjoyable. The winner in both efficiency as well as the overall shave experience is the Wolfman. Again, today's results and as always YMMV. Hope this helps.
Thank you!

That was very helpful. If the 74 blade gap is more efficient and comfortable than the Timeless, then that may be the winner for me... If I ever catch Wolfman when it's open.

To try out these high end razors would seem to cost a small fortune.

I love my Futur set to 6. I love the weight and the aggressiveness. The only downside is how hard it is to get right under my nose. If I wanted to spring for a super high end razor, which one would be the best choice for a guy who likes the Futur?

One more question. Is there a reason to spring for a super high-end razor? What does one get? Is it a better shave? If so, how?

To try out these high end razors would seem to cost a small fortune.

I love my Futur set to 6. I love the weight and the aggressiveness. The only downside is how hard it is to get right under my nose. If I wanted to spring for a super high end razor, which one would be the best choice for a guy who likes the Futur?

One more question. Is there a reason to spring for a super high-end razor? What does one get? Is it a better shave? If so, how?

There's not going to be a lot of choices for more aggressive razors than the Futur set at 6. Have you tried twisting the Futur past setting 6? You take the blade out and put two fingers under the head and squeeze the top cap while turning the head.

You could try the Muhle R41, Ikon Tech, Asylum Rx (SE razor). A Charcoal Goods Level 3 OC might be comparable to the Merkur Futur set at 6.

There's not going to be a lot of choices for more aggressive razors than the Futur set at 6. Have you tried twisting the Futur past setting 6? You take the blade out and put two fingers under the head and squeeze the top cap while turning the head.

You could try the Muhle R41, Ikon Tech, Asylum Rx (SE razor). A Charcoal Goods Level 3 OC might be comparable to the Merkur Futur set at 6.
This is really helpful. Thanks.

Mine top three:

BBS-1
Wolfman WR-1
Weber (early one, not really hi-end when introduced but unparalleled value nevertheless)

Jared and Jason thank you for all the reviews. It takes a lot of work to photograph and write up all the razors and keep things straight. Much appreciated by this Canadian. I must take a look at the Karve.

Jared and Jason thank you for all the reviews. It takes a lot of work to photograph and write up all the razors and keep things straight. Much appreciated by this Canadian. I must take a look at the Karve.

Happy to help. Plenty have done it for me. You have some great Canadian options. The Game Changer 0.84 is another great option. I can't speak for the 0.68. And the Wolfman WR-1 is an amazing razor. Both the 0.74 SB and 0.86 SB are amazing. I was shocked by everyone saying they are smoother the more efficient the get. I've only had one shave with the 0.86 SB so far, but I would have to agree.

I currently have the REX Ambassador on a pass around. I have had 2 shaves with it already and have posted shaves over on that thready. However, I'm considering a REX and Gibbs shave off and perhaps a REX and Personna Precision shave off. The Gibbs vs Personna shave off will come later after the REX has moved on. I haven't even had a chance to shave with the Personna yet as I had a shave off and the REX showed up quickly after.

Here's an update. Have a loaner Tech. Way better shaving experience than the full-open Futur. Way more precise. Better shave too. I have a 2013 Muhle R41 on the way and a 2011 R41 head purchased from one of the fellows on this site. Can't wait to try 'em.
The Charcoal Goods Level 3 is calling to me. But man, they're pricey. Wonder if anyone ever sells em.

Here's an update. Have a loaner Tech. Way better shaving experience than the full-open Futur. Way more precise. Better shave too. I have a 2013 Muhle R41 on the way and a 2011 R41 head purchased from one of the fellows on this site. Can't wait to try 'em.
The Charcoal Goods Level 3 is calling to me. But man, they're pricey. Wonder if anyone ever sells em.

The CG Lvl-3 is calling me too. I thought it would be too aggressive when I started this journey, but I love the CG Lvl-2 and am loving the Wolfman 0.86 SB. I haven't seen many for sale on B/S/T anywhere. Only 401 more people to wait on ... LOL

The CG Lvl-3 is calling me too. I thought it would be too aggressive when I started this journey, but I love the CG Lvl-2 and am loving the Wolfman 0.86 SB. I haven't seen many for sale on B/S/T anywhere. Only 401 more people to wait on ... LOL

[emoji23]. I think I'm around #300 now

401? You're probably out around June. May it be well worth the wait.

It's not really high end but I absolutely love my Mamba razor with the barber pole handle. Wow. What a beauty. I have other razors i like. Like the karve, Rockwell s1, feather as d2, timeless, and some vintage gillettes but I'm having trouble using any of them since I got the mamba. I bought it with the halo handle which was fine. But I ordered the barber pole razorock handle on a whim. I really like the look of the razor better with this handle and it just fits my hand perfectly. I could happily use this one razor the rest of my life.

Sorry, haven't been on here in awhile. Got a little busy and perhaps acquiring too much gear. But it's time to get back to evaluating my collection, so I plan to get back to shave offs. However, today I want to give just a brief update on the Raw Shaving RS-10 I received Friday.

Raw shaving RS-10.

I spoke with 2 gentleman who have the 10 which is without the strips and they love the razor. I messaged Avi the owner and he was very kind in answering all my questions so my RS10 without lubricating strips is on its way.

I will be doing a review on the Raw 10 in a few days. I wanted to get about 5 or so shaves in before reviewing

I posted my review in the Raw Saving post I didnt think I could duplicate it in another post

After seeing @Shavemd is trying the Raw Shaving RS-10 for a second time and enjoying it, I reached out to him from more information. His input led me to giving it a try. He also recommended that I reach out to the owner Avi, and he is great guy. Extremely helpful and definitely seems to have fun and love what he is doing. So, I've only had 1 shave with the razor and I was extremely impressed. It needs to go head to head in shave off with the 17-4. Yeah, it might just be that good, we'll see.

But ... I will warn you that the razor pointed out something that I commonly do, that I don't even think about. I commonly use the corners of the the base plate and cap on the side when tightening the handle on a 3 piece razor. The RS-10 has reduced corners or are slanted (beveled) on the sides. This technique caused the razor to slip in my and and put two huge slices in my thumb nearly taking the tip of my finger pad off. It bled forever and I had to reapproximate the sides and super glue it. BE SURE TO SECURE THE BASEPLATE AND CAP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SIDE WHEN TIGHTENING THE HANDLE.

Sorry, haven't been on here in awhile. Got a little busy and perhaps acquiring too much gear. But it's time to get back to evaluating my collection, so I plan to get back to shave offs. However, today I want to give just a brief update on the Raw Shaving RS-10 I received Friday.

After seeing @Shavemd is trying the Raw Shaving RS-10 for a second time and enjoying it, I reached out to him from more information. His input led me to giving it a try. He also recommended that I reach out to the owner Avi, and he is great guy. Extremely helpful and definitely seems to have fun and love what he is doing. So, I've only had 1 shave with the razor and I was extremely impressed. It needs to go head to head in shave off with the 17-4. Yeah, it might just be that good, we'll see.

But ... I will warn you that the razor pointed out something that I commonly do, that I don't even think about. I commonly use the corners of the the base plate and cap on the side when tightening the handle on a 3 piece razor. The RS-10 has reduced corners or are slanted (beveled) on the sides. This technique caused the razor to slip in my and and put two huge slices in my thumb nearly taking the tip of my finger pad off. It bled forever and I had to reapproximate the sides and super glue it. BE SURE TO SECURE THE BASEPLATE AND CAP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SIDE WHEN TIGHTENING THE HANDLE.
I always use a towel to tighten or loosen the head those blades are sharp. Hope your OK my friend.

Top Bottom