What's new

Best Modern High End DE Razor?

Merkur and Muhle come to mind.
The Merkur Futur and the Muhle R41 are two of my favorite razors. If I had to pick just one, it would be the Muhle R41 by a hair. Pun intended.
AA6C5AC0-7CA1-4A27-8A85-0CC0DA68C89A.jpeg
B6DE84DE-3C57-4684-93F9-52EC30286D4F.jpeg
2C335620-0CC1-4F62-9118-209725830D03.jpeg

I spoke with 2 gentleman who have the 10 which is without the strips and they love the razor. I messaged Avi the owner and he was very kind in answering all my questions so my RS10 without lubricating strips is on its way.

I spoke with 2 gentleman who have the 10 which is without the strips and they love the razor. I messaged Avi the owner and he was very kind in answering all my questions so my RS10 without lubricating strips is on its way.

@Shavemd you’ll have to let us know your thoughts after a few shaves. Never heard of them and not cheap. Can you compare it to a Blackbird, or some other standards in your gear? Thanks

Thanks for this thread! Just getting back into visiting this site. Ordered a BB in the machined finish. Can't wait to test drive it.

Been using the Timeless Bronze SB (0.38 mm blade gap) for about a month now, almost exclusively. Took just a bit of getting used to, but I really like it and that like grows with every use. Shaving angle is unusual but once you've figured that out the shave is incredible and smooth. Highly recommended.

So an early report on razors that I have picked up and tried (and still need to try) from people's recommendations on this topic. First the razors:

Timeless 0.95 SB and SCL (picked up right before this post)
Timeless 0.68 SB
Paradigm Ti 2 (v2)
Blackbird
Rocnel Elite
Charcoal Goods Lvl 1 Brass

Love:
Absolutely love all the Timeless. Love the Paradigm. Love the Charcoal Goods.

The Timeless 0.95 are the most efficient and probably the most aggressive I would like. The Paradigm is lighter than the Timeless and extremely agile. Significant blade feel but not scary, a real joy to shave with. The Timeless 0.68 is extremely smooth and enjoyable. Not as close a shave, but just barely and little to no razor feel and minimal irritation. The Charcoal Goods isn't as close a shave as the Timeless 0.68 but I enjoyed it immensely. So Timeless 0.95 and Paradigm for 2-3 day growth and Timeless 0.68 and Charcoal Goods for daily drivers. These are just trends as I enjoy them all so much I could reach for any on them on a whim.

Need more time:
Didn't enjoy my first shave with the Rocnel and a Feather blade. Still need to try the Blackbird.

Still want:
Wolfman WR1 - thinking the 0.67 SB
Charcoal Goods Lvl 2 SB

Would buy on B/S/T if I ever saw them:
LA BBS-1
Paradigm 17-4

I'm curious to hear about the Raw Shaving RS-10 but would only jump in if it is deemed based on others experience to be a BBS-1, Paradigm 17-4, or Wolfman level razor. Something that is unique and a bar setter.

Thanks for all of your input on products and all the wise advice. I will continue to invest time into the current razors before making any final decisions to keep or move. Happy Shaving

I will be doing a review on the Raw 10 in a few days. I wanted to get about 5 or so shaves in before reviewing

So I finally had my first shave today with the Blackland Blackbird. WOW! The sharp edges in the head give it an aggressive feel. It makes you consider the razor and movements. However, I didn't find the blade that much. I had one time that the blade caught and I stopped the stroke, but no weepers or nicks. Amazing shave. Perhaps the best 2 pass shave I have ever had. I used a Polsilver blade, Stirling Iced Pineapple soap, and Maseto 26mm Finest Fan brush. A really enjoyable shave.

So far the only razor to give me trouble is the Rocnel Elite. I am going to go back to it tomorrow with a Polsilver blade. I know it has been said that it was designed for a Feather, but the Feather first shave tore me up.

Been using the Timeless Bronze SB (0.38 mm blade gap) for about a month now, almost exclusively. Took just a bit of getting used to, but I really like it and that like grows with every use. Shaving angle is unusual but once you've figured that out the shave is incredible and smooth. Highly recommended.

I just received the timeless 0.38 and shaved once with it, and it was very average, what's the angle you are using?

Top Bottom