What's new

Best Modern High End DE Razor?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’m really confused. You don’t have to buy used from ATT. You can purchase new. Or you can buy used for a lower price. They don’t mix new and used at least I find that highly unlikely.
I brought thus up as my perception of high end razors. In not alleging at all that att mixes or is not transparent to a degree the site button only says returns i didnt know that meant they sell returned items at a discount .no other high end razor company does this maybe its a good thing att does i dont know. Rolex doesnt do that its my feeling and perception of high end my motivation or internal justification to pay top retail for a high end item isnt there under these circumstances and i understand im an outlier but its my money. I want to feel like im buying in on a high end item that is special .If i wanted used ill go search the web for it.
so for example i will buy eventually a new plate for one of my att. But i will not buy it new now that im aware of this. ill buy it used or as a return.
if im going to buy a pre owned anything i look everywhere.
i realized this makes no sense but its part of my internal justification in paying over $200 for a razor .

I brought thus up as my perception of high end razors. In not alleging at all that att mixes or is not transparent to a degree the site button only says returns i didnt know that meant they sell returned items at a discount .no other high end razor company does this maybe its a good thing att does i dont know. Rolex doesnt do that its my feeling and perception of high end my motivation or internal justification to pay top retail for a high end item isnt there under these circumstances and i understand im an outlier but its my money. I want to feel like im buying in on a high end item that is special .If i wanted used ill go search the web for it.
so for example i will buy eventually a new plate for one of my att. But i will not buy it new now that im aware of this. ill buy it used or as a return.
i realized this makes no sense but its part of my internal justification in paying over $200 for a razor .

Haha. Okay. Well you don’t have to justify it to anyone since it’s your money!

I still find it weird though man. [emoji16]

Update: I picked up a Blackbird Polished on B/S/T this morning. It posted yesterday and I figured it was a sign. :001_cool:
Looking forward to getting it next week and putting it into the rotation to see how it compares to what i have so far.

Keep the advice coming. I've been looking into the REX Ambassador, but I'm not sure yet. Perhaps I would take advantage of a group buy if one surfaced. Also, thank you to @Wilga for opening my worldly view. i have been looking into the Rocnel and Barbaros recommendations. They seem extremely hard to find. I still need to look into the other Europeans. Even with all of this, I know I want to keep trying to get a Wolfman and Charcoal Goods. Finding good ways to spend my money. Thanks. :jump:
The BB has lots of blade feel, it efficient, and its smooth. When I bought mine it shaved unlike anything I owned. I don't own some of the razors in your den but if none of them are blade forward you are in for a treat/surprise. I fell for it and have chased razors with similar qualities. There are a few out there.

Let us know how you like the BB. Its a fantastic razor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'll be glad to join you at the weird table, Mr. Rhody.

I don't like ATT razors anyway.

Ps you have an amazing collection of high end shavers! Which one do you enjoy the most personally? Cheers.

This is going to be a lame answer but I like all of them quite a bit for different reasons. The ones that didn't make the cut for me I have gotten rid of and I'm left with some really wonderful razors to shave with.

Each razor that I own I like really well and which one I enjoy most depends more on the day and the mood I'm in. Sometimes I want a more comfortable shave and other times I'll sacrifice some comfort for efficiency. I likely reach for the Paradigm Ti2, the Charcoal Goods Lvl2 and the Timeless .68 SB more frequently than anything else at the moment. The BBS-1 is exceptional as well and one I should reach for more often. Surprisingly I don't pick up the Wolfman razors as often as the others because I prefer the smoothness of the others over them.

This is just my personal assessment though as I know others may find the very same razors to give them a much different shave. So more of the YMMV thing, even with razors.

Picked up the Paradigm Ti2 this morning based on @dfoulk and so many 17-4 and Ti2 positive reviews. Can't wait to get everything in and get through them in rotations.

Picked up the Paradigm Ti2 this morning based on @dfoulk and so many 17-4 and Ti2 positive reviews. Can't wait to get everything in and get through them in rotations.

Yeah, you have some really nice razors headed your way now. With all of these maybe commit a few weeks to each one to get used to them. Try not to bounce between them as you'll get much better shaves after a couple weeks of using the same razor.

I recently purchased a Level 2 DC in brass. It's a very lovely razor. I cannot wait to try the Level 3 baseplate.
The Lvl3 is super efficient but can be a little harsh. I used mine today. It does cut very close.

The Lvl2 is not as efficient but it still cuts very close, like a Blackbird, maybe just a tad better. It very smooth tho.

I prefer the 2 most of the time. If I want Lvl3 efficiency, I'll reach for a WR1 .86 more times than not.

I use all 3 levels of CG. 1 is great for a quick touch up 2 is a great daily driver and 3 works great after a weekend without shaving.

I think the mistake most people make is acquiring too many razors before committing truly to one. there are just too many variables. you even mentioned it yourself how the merkur 34c is not often in your reach because you are too flustered with all these other razors. i made this mistake too. i bought a rockwell 6s, merkur 34c, edwin jagger de89, and now i got the REX. i often find myself reaching for my merkur with a gillette platinum. and i used a 1959 tech in mint condition for 10 years with a personna red israeli (switched to the CVS personnas that are much smoother) and even that alone made a huge difference. but i stopped shaving in the shower and now over the sink and want to shave at least every 3 days so the tech has become too mild of a razor that tugs and causes irritation without all that steam i had.

i am focusing now on my merkur 34c with the gillette platinum. my upper lip is a challenge going ATG every 3 days so either the rex or 6S has been in there to help me there but honestly, i would commit to one razor for a full month or two and try different blades out and make sure your prep is always solid. you need to hone in on your technique honestly. a .45 magnum is a great handgun if you know how to use it. terrible if you don't...

I think the mistake most people make is acquiring too many razors before committing truly to one. there are just too many variables. you even mentioned it yourself how the merkur 34c is not often in your reach because you are too flustered with all these other razors. i made this mistake too. i bought a rockwell 6s, merkur 34c, edwin jagger de89, and now i got the REX. i often find myself reaching for my merkur with a gillette platinum. and i used a 1959 tech in mint condition for 10 years with a personna red israeli (switched to the CVS personnas that are much smoother) and even that alone made a huge difference. but i stopped shaving in the shower and now over the sink and want to shave at least every 3 days so the tech has become too mild of a razor that tugs and causes irritation without all that steam i had.

i am focusing now on my merkur 34c with the gillette platinum. my upper lip is a challenge going ATG every 3 days so either the rex or 6S has been in there to help me there but honestly, i would commit to one razor for a full month or two and try different blades out and make sure your prep is always solid. you need to hone in on your technique honestly. a .45 magnum is a great handgun if you know how to use it. terrible if you don't...
I very much agree. When I started back with DE shaving, I used a Merkur 34c every day for six months. It took about 3-4 weeks for me to figure out how to get the best out of it, then repetition to make it automatic. At this point I've collected about 10 or 12 more, all under $100. I might get one of the high-end razors discussed here some day, but the good news is, I've learned enough about my beard and the way I like to shave that I have a decent idea which ones are most likely to work out.

Yeah first get the technique down. These high end razors are for those who have perfected the art of shaving and want to take on new razors' challenge. I watched a video from Steve the daily shaver and he mentioned the art is not just getting BBS but being able to pick up any of the razors he mastered and getting BBS out of them all since each one varies in performance so you will have to adjust your technique. I'm far from that by the way :)

My favorite high end razors are the ATT S1 (SB slant), Timeless SS 0.95 scalloped, and CG Brass Torpedo Level 2.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Raw shaving RS-10.

Attachments

• 41C5AF60-D3B8-44A7-925F-E8FAA7903CC7.png
    41C5AF60-D3B8-44A7-925F-E8FAA7903CC7.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 50
M

member 119848

My high-end razor is made of polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride.
In comparaison to brass or stainless steel, polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride is a high-tech material. (IMHO)
The material it is made of, defies our perception of the force of gravity.
upload_2018-8-5_12-39-25.jpeg
I wish it would be expensive to call it a high-end razor!

Last edited by a moderator:

There's some truth in this. I limit variables for my "base" shave precisely for this reason. That's a wipe without soap with a hot, wet, bath cloth for face prep, then applying canned foam. That limits it to the razor (and setting, if it's an adjustable) and blade. I do think that, after you have your technique down, it doesn't take a month to settle in, but I do like to spend at least a week unless the shave is just too terrible.

It gets into why we want to try different razors. If it's to try something new, so be it. But if it's to seek that perfect shave, eh. Especially someone just starting out with DE/SE. I learned to shave with an SE, and there was still a learning curve when I returned after decades absence.

Top Bottom