What's new

Best Modern High End DE Razor?

Sorry, haven't been on here in awhile. Got a little busy and perhaps acquiring too much gear. But it's time to get back to evaluating my collection, so I plan to get back to shave offs. However, today I want to give just a brief update on the Raw Shaving RS-10 I received Friday.

After seeing @Shavemd is trying the Raw Shaving RS-10 for a second time and enjoying it, I reached out to him from more information. His input led me to giving it a try. He also recommended that I reach out to the owner Avi, and he is great guy. Extremely helpful and definitely seems to have fun and love what he is doing. So, I've only had 1 shave with the razor and I was extremely impressed. It needs to go head to head in shave off with the 17-4. Yeah, it might just be that good, we'll see.

But ... I will warn you that the razor pointed out something that I commonly do, that I don't even think about. I commonly use the corners of the the base plate and cap on the side when tightening the handle on a 3 piece razor. The RS-10 has reduced corners or are slanted (beveled) on the sides. This technique caused the razor to slip in my and and put two huge slices in my thumb nearly taking the tip of my finger pad off. It bled forever and I had to reapproximate the sides and super glue it. BE SURE TO SECURE THE BASEPLATE AND CAP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SIDE WHEN TIGHTENING THE HANDLE.
Forgot to ask Which baseplate did you use

Forgot to ask Which baseplate did you use

I used the Aggressive because I had 3 days of growth.

Sorry to hear hear about you mishap my friend! Damn that must have hurt. I think we all forget sometimes we are dealing with very sharp object and need to pay a little more attention or they will remind us, and not in a good way.

Congrats on the Raw Shaving RS-10 I was just talking to Mark myself and he's prasing this razor up and down so it's got my attention for sure. I'd like it better without all the fancy presentation but I understand his target market is probably the same as the Oneblade Genesis. Which is the GQ crowd.

Take care of the finger and I can't wait to see the Shave Off with the 17 4

And yes, I took something I always do for granted. I was in a hurry and not paying attention and the razor reminded my in a painful way. But it's ok. Just a flesh wound. The face and hands heal quickly. Just need to keep the cut clean and closed until the new skin can grow out. I unfortunately have a lot of experience with this due to my work in a lab in grad school and super glue was originally used a liquid stitches in the Vietnam War and does great to seal skin cuts on the hands.

Sorry, haven't been on here in awhile. Got a little busy and perhaps acquiring too much gear. But it's time to get back to evaluating my collection, so I plan to get back to shave offs. However, today I want to give just a brief update on the Raw Shaving RS-10 I received Friday.

After seeing @Shavemd is trying the Raw Shaving RS-10 for a second time and enjoying it, I reached out to him from more information. His input led me to giving it a try. He also recommended that I reach out to the owner Avi, and he is great guy. Extremely helpful and definitely seems to have fun and love what he is doing. So, I've only had 1 shave with the razor and I was extremely impressed. It needs to go head to head in shave off with the 17-4. Yeah, it might just be that good, we'll see.

But ... I will warn you that the razor pointed out something that I commonly do, that I don't even think about. I commonly use the corners of the the base plate and cap on the side when tightening the handle on a 3 piece razor. The RS-10 has reduced corners or are slanted (beveled) on the sides. This technique caused the razor to slip in my and and put two huge slices in my thumb nearly taking the tip of my finger pad off. It bled forever and I had to reapproximate the sides and super glue it. BE SURE TO SECURE THE BASEPLATE AND CAP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SIDE WHEN TIGHTENING THE HANDLE.

Glad to see you back Jared. Sorry to hear about your mishap, hopefully it will heal up fast. Glad you are liking the Rs-10. Look forward to reading your shave off with the 17-4. Happy shaves
Jason

Yowza! I load/unload razors upside down on a towel for this very reason. My fingers only touch the underside of the baseplate.

The WR1 is the best modern razor, IMO, pending review of larger gap WR2s.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

All right, I have run this match up twice just to be sure and here is yesterday's results. It is identical to the first time I did this paring over Thanksgiving as well.

Raw Shaving RS-10 aggressive vs Paradigm 17-4

SOTD 2018-11-30 .jpeg

Gear used:
Paradigm 17-4 with PolSilver SI 2nd use
Raw Shaving RS-10 with PolSilver SI 2nd use
PAA Cube Preshave Soap
Black Eagle Buffalo in Zebra with a 28 mm hand tied Fan
Saponificio Varesino Colonia with matching after shave
Razorock Alum block (not pictured)

I had a weeks worth of growth that I used clippers (Andis GTX T-Outliner) to shear off. So growth was trimmed down to a level more 2-3 days worth of growth. I did a typical 2-pass WTG and XTG ear to nose with additional cleanup under the nose. No buffing or cleanup was performed anywhere else to keep the shave off fair. The RS-10 was used on left cheek and right neck. The 17-4 on the right cheek and left neck.

1st Pass - Both were extremely smooth and decent audio feedback. Honestly these two razors felt like the shave very similar. The main difference I would note is the RS-10 is heavier and weighted more toward the handle than head slightly. The Paradigm is more balanced. Both went through the stubble like a hot knife through butter. Upon cleanup the RS-10 was slightly closer.

2nd Pass - There was more audible feedback from the Paradigm. Both were extremely smooth. The blade is tamed well in both. I experienced no cuts or weepers in this shave. Upon cleanup the RS-10 was slightly closer. When using the Alum block and aftershave the sting was a little bit more on the RS-10 areas than the 17-4.

The RS-10 gave a closer shave and was confirmed with the q-tip test. The RS-10 q-tip was destroyed less than the 17-4. Both had areas that could use touch up and buffing. The 17-4 I would say was 50-50 BBS and DFS. The RS-10 was 80-20 BBS and DFS. I had 3-5 hours until a small amount of regrowth on the 17-4 and 7-8 hours until slight regrowth with the RS-10. I will call the RS-10 the better shave although it was close in all areas. Both razors were more alike than different. We may see another 17-4 batch in the future, but as it is currently out of stock I would recommend the RS-10 as a great replacement. As always these are my results yesterday with the associated gear and as always YMMV.

Please provide any feedback. I was surprised by the outcome and have been extremely impressed by the RS-10. I haven't shave with the mild base plate yet, but am looking forward to it.

Great review. Both are great razors but I usually need a 2 pass shave with touchup to be totally BBS with both. The RS10 is still very smooth with a feather and I find the mild plate will give me a 3 pass BBS using a feather

Those are awesome, I would like to have one but all I can find are 100mm and that is a little longer than I like.

Hey @smurfups77 ,

Those are just his eBay listings. I know from direct correspondence with him that he can make titanium handles up to 21mm in diameter, to any reasonable length (even beyond 100mm). The handle I ordered from him is 11.5mm diameter by 90mm in length. You just have to message him directly. Time from payment to him putting the finished custom handle in the mail is around 5 to 7 days.

Also, even if you don't see a listing for one of his previously made handle types (New York for example) it can still be ordered from him.

Hope that helps!

~Kai

Hey @smurfups77 ,

Those are just his eBay listings. I know from direct correspondence with him that he can make titanium handles up to 21mm in diameter, to any reasonable length (even beyond 100mm). The handle I ordered from him is 11.5mm diameter by 90mm in length. You just have to message him directly. Time from payment to him putting the finished custom handle in the mail is around 5 to 7 days.

Also, even if you don't see a listing for one of his previously made handle types (New York for example) it can still be ordered from him.

Hope that helps!

~Kai

Thank you sir I will check that out.
Happy shaves
SMURF

Have you seen the new ATT Windsor? Pretty snappy, especially the Copper version.

I was an early adopter of the ATT Windsor. I went for a "M" plate in polished stainless. In fact, I plan to pick up "R" and "H" plates at some point in the future.

I don't think it gets the praise it deserves because it just isn't discussed very often. Highly underrated/unregarded razor, simply because it isn't as well known as ATT's other offerings. As a further testament, I believe Stan discontinued his basic razor line and replaced them with the Satin Windsor Collection. Yep, they're that good.

~Kai

I was an early adopter of the ATT Windsor. I went for a "M" plate in polished stainless. In fact, I plan to pick up "R" and "H" plates at some point in the future.

I don't think it gets the praise it deserves because it just isn't discussed very often. Highly underrated/unregarded razor, simply because it isn't as well known as ATT's other offerings. As a further testament, I believe Stan discontinued his basic razor line and replaced them with the Satin Windsor Collection. Yep, tgeythethat good.

~Kai

Man I agree. Stan's stuff does not seem to get much praise. He offers a nice variety of well made and different type razors - plus now he's plating vintage. I don't get it? I'm a 98% vintage guy but after the first of the year I'm really thinking about picking up that Copper Windsor with a Medium plate. I think it's one of the nicest looking razors out there. I gave up on Wolfman long ago (also very nice) and instead shifted whatever luck I have left toward the lotto....

@Sharp_Obsession Nice review - thank you

@Kai I picked up the ATT Windsor H plate/cap and paired it with a Maggard MR6. I gives a very smooth & relatively efficient shave and agree that it is underrated. More should consider it as it can be used as a daily shaver with any of the 3 possible plates depending on your preference.

AJ

Great thread! I would probably say my Rex is my best high end razor, followed closely by the Karve and 6s.(those two are cheaper on the high end, but shave better than most).

I really enjoy my Ikon Shavecraft Tech. Extremely efficient and smooth in my mind. It makes me question keeping any other razor in my den. 2 passes and a little touch-up is all I need.

Top Bottom