What's new

Bear Gun

Funny. I had this conversation a while back with a colleague. Would my .357 Sig stop a black/brown bear? I'm assuming "no" on a grizzly, but my opinion was it was enough for the black/brown bear in an emergency. Whats the forum consensus?

Okay, silly question:

If all you've got is a 9mm, would it be better to use defensive loads or FMJ?

Stop laughing.

Or should I just throw it at the bear?

I've never seen one of our 30k bears in Maine, but on the other hand I live two miles from Bear Mountain. :eek6:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Okay, silly question:

If all you've got is a 9mm, would it be better to use defensive loads or FMJ?

:eek6:

On yourself or the bear? Sorry, couldn't help it. I would certainly carry 147gr loads for deepest penetration. If you were to encounter a two legged varmint that needed shooting, I wouldn't want to be carrying FMJ, that's for sure.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's a good question. Didn't they use solids on elephants?

If a JHP blew up on the surface of a bear without penetrating ... :angel:

Perhaps one could alternate FMJ and JHPs ... every fifth a tracer!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I would think a tracer would take his mind off anything else except trying to get away from the burning.

Right? Wonder if there are 9mm Willie Pete rounds .... yet. :a16:

Shotshells cycle in my G30; wonder about a 9mm. That'd sting a bruin. *maybe*

AA

@Esox #17 25 to 30 mph & 350 lbs of plain ol'mean until oxygen depravation catches up ain't no jokin matter. I'd be pleased to have a camping buddy like you. (Or, I'd be happy to provide the same services.)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
@Esox #17 25 to 30 mph & 350 lbs of plain ol'mean until oxygen depravation catches up ain't no jokin matter. I'd be pleased to have a camping buddy like you. (Or, I'd be happy to provide the same services.)

I was shocked how hard that bear ran after taking that bullet. I fit my fist through the exit and the 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip exploded and broke 4 ribs on the way out. That was an early Nosler bullet. I talked to someone at Nosler after that and they've made the jacket considerably thicker on that bullet. He said at the time that he had reports of that same bullet failing on Elk hit on the shoulder, but it's a fine bullet with the thicker jacket. After that bear I changed my loads to 230 grain Winchester Fail Safe bullets loaded to 3150fps and 250 grain Sierra Game Kings at 3030fps.

I've had deer hit the afterburners after taking a similar heart shot hit but it wasnt the same. Then having to go into shoulder high willows for 50-75 yards after it was an interesting experience.

I just had some pics in my email from a friend whos employee just got his spring blackie out of Manitouwadge Ontario, 513lbs. The taxidermist said its the biggest black bear he has seen and he needs to make a custom mold for the skull because none available are big enough. He went on to say that the bear was around 22 years old and would have been 600lbs or more when it denned up last fall and it still had 8"s of fat on his belly when they opened him up. It squared 9 feet after running flat out 250 yards with three holes in him from a .300wsm. 9mm? .357 Sig or .357 mag? Not this guy lol, but any would be better than a sharp stick...

!cid_e10aef2d-5971-463f-b0ef-3ee6222f2d2e@namprd15_prod_outlook.jpg !cid_060529ed-c5fc-4c4b-8a6d-346908276394@namprd15_prod_outlook.jpg

Well okay, then: no more walks in the woods. :yikes:

On yourself or the bear? Sorry, couldn't help it.

LOL

I would certainly carry 147gr loads for deepest penetration. If you were to encounter a two legged varmint that needed shooting, I wouldn't want to be carrying FMJ, that's for sure.

Funny, it wasn't so long ago that most fellas carried FMJ for two-legged critters.

It's a good question. Didn't they use solids on elephants?

If a JHP blew up on the surface of a bear without penetrating ... :angel:

So, a JHP that can penetrate auto glass or car doors and still expand when hitting soft tissue wouldn't make it through bear hide? Yikes.

Perhaps one could alternate FMJ and JHPs ... every fifth a tracer!

Ooooooh, tracers! :w00t:

A friend who is a police officer and hunting guide, with many bear hunts to his name, tells me that the only chance I would have with a 9mm pistol would be to shoot the bear in the throat. Assuming it would give me time to do that, having a clear shot at it, all with poop in my pants.

He said to forget about a head shot, they'll bounce right off. :blink:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm being funny, of course. :a15: Just can't figure out a good bear solution that is lightweight to carry. Still think the Tok 7.62x25 is viable. You're going to get eaten, but the bear *could* die in the next few days.

I just bought a set of Valken sonic grenades, considering hiking with one of those. It'd make a giant hissing BOOM, without any pyrotechnic fire risk (since, after throwing at bear, I AM going to be running in the other direction - ain't sticking around to put out any fires)

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Unless one is fishing, why would they be in the middle of bear country without a rifle or shotgun anyhow? Hiking is the only reason I can think of?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I do hike in a no-hunting preserve, with plenty of hikers, bikers and fishermen. Bears have been there forever, but a dog-killing family group moved in last year. They escaped capture by F&W so far. They've got a trailer-sized trap.

AA

Someone in here, I forget who, said they have been loading a 200gr. lead cast in 10MM that was getting close to 1000 fps. That would definitely be the ticket for bear. How many does a G20 hold?
I hunt bear and deer every year. I bear hunt exclusively with a handgun usually every other year. I carry either a .44 magnum (Colt Anaconda 6"), (s&w model 29 4" as a backup to rifle hunting) or a 454 Casull. Last bit not least.... I carry a Glock 20 (10mm) with a Bar Sto 6" ported barrel for 200gr hard cast lead bullets. I did take a large black bear once with my Glock and hard cast bullets.

If you do plan on getting a 10mm and shooting hard cast lead, you must dump the factory Glock barrel and get one with traditional deep groove rifling. The polygonal rifling that Glock uses in their factory barrels is not suitable for hunting with lead bullets. Yes the G20 is a 15 round magazine. (10 if you're in California).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I hunt bear and deer every year. I bear hunt exclusively with a handgun usually every other year. I carry either a .44 magnum (Colt Anaconda 6"), (s&w model 29 4" as a backup to rifle hunting) or a 454 Casull. Last bit not least.... I carry a Glock 20 (10mm) with a Bar Sto 6" ported barrel for 200gr hard cast lead bullets. I did take a large black bear once with my Glock and hard cast bullets.

If you do plan on getting a 10mm and shooting hard cast lead, you must dump the factory Glock barrel and get one with traditional deep groove rifling. The polygonal rifling that Glock uses in their factory barrels is not suitable for hunting with lead bullets. Yes the G20 is a 15 round magazine. (10 if you're in California).

Good advice HC, I was thinking along those lines. Does the port in the Bar Sto steal any velocity?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
well; the cloud of smoke after both barrels go off will certainly help cover a high-speed retreat ...

and a fine thing to shoot (light birdshot loads out of).

AA

Good advice HC, I was thinking along those lines. Does the port in the Bar Sto steal any velocity?
Yes all porting does somewhat diminish the velocity a tad, but it's so minimal as to not affect the effectiveness of the Ft/lbs of energy striking the target.

In order of effectiveness:
1. Your brain.
2. Bear Spray.
3. Gun. Shot gun - short and handy. Handgun - 44mag or more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom