What's new

My First Gun

Hello all! I recently purchased a Glock 19 generation 5 from a local gun store. I did much research, watched many videos, and ultimately decided that the Glock 19 would best suit my needs, mainly for home self defense and target shooting at the range. This is my first gun purchase. Prior to taking this step, I did take a basic safety lesson with an NRA certified instructor at the local gun shop with time at the range shooting a few different guns.

I have not taken the gun to the range yet, but the other day I did field strip the gun and cleaned it for the first time. I don’t really know if this was necessary, but the Glock manual said it should be done so I did it. Everything was going fine until the reassembly of the slide. The slide would go on all of the way until the very last 1/8 inch or so and get stuck. Being that I had never done this before, I tried with a bit more force and still it was getting stuck. From all of the videos I had seen, the better part of my common sense took over and I stopped trying to force it. I came across reading that some other people had this issue, and the way to remedy it was to push the fire pin safety down and move the firing pin forward. This is what I did and the slide went back on just fine. I then removed the slide again and found the same problem with the same remedy needed to get the slide back on. All subsequent times for doing this (probably about 10 times) there has not been this problem. I just remove the slide and it goes back on without me having to do the additional steps with the firing pin safety and firing pin. I am not really sure why this happened the first 2 times and now it is not happening. Do I need to get the gun examined? Did I do any damage to it trying to force the slide on when it wouldn’t go on easily? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. And I sincerely appreciate OkieStubble’s thorough input he gave me when I was deciding which gun to purchase.

C1B562B0-6A37-47AF-87D7-CEEE645D7E63.jpeg

Good gun to own, I have never owned a Glock just not for me. It is like Ford vs Chevy. So I can not answer the Glock question. What I will say is correct practice to become as good as you can with the performance of the gun. Enjoy and respect your new purchase.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Hello all! I recently purchased a Glock 19 generation 5 from a local gun store. I did much research, watched many videos, and ultimately decided that the Glock 19 would best suit my needs, mainly for home self defense and target shooting at the range. This is my first gun purchase. Prior to taking this step, I did take a basic safety lesson with an NRA certified instructor at the local gun shop with time at the range shooting a few different guns.

I have not taken the gun to the range yet, but the other day I did field strip the gun and cleaned it for the first time. I don’t really know if this was necessary, but the Glock manual said it should be done so I did it. Everything was going fine until the reassembly of the slide. The slide would go on all of the way until the very last 1/8 inch or so and get stuck. Being that I had never done this before, I tried with a bit more force and still it was getting stuck. From all of the videos I had seen, the better part of my common sense took over and I stopped trying to force it. I came across reading that some other people had this issue, and the way to remedy it was to push the fire pin safety down and move the firing pin forward. This is what I did and the slide went back on just fine. I then removed the slide again and found the same problem with the same remedy needed to get the slide back on. All subsequent times for doing this (probably about 10 times) there has not been this problem. I just remove the slide and it goes back on without me having to do the additional steps with the firing pin safety and firing pin. I am not really sure why this happened the first 2 times and now it is not happening. Do I need to get the gun examined? Did I do any damage to it trying to force the slide on when it wouldn’t go on easily? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. And I sincerely appreciate OkieStubble’s thorough input he gave me when I was deciding which gun to purchase.

View attachment 1441145

Congratulations on owning your first firearm @Sherlock40 ! Welcome to the B&B Shooting Sports & Firearms Sub Forum. The Glock 19 is probably the most popular first time firearm for first time firearms owners who look for their first 9mm pistol.

If you would like to not have to disengage the striker pin every time you want to put the slide back on and re-assemble your pistol, then it will be a must for you to remember, that before you disassemble it you have to first, check the chamber visually and make sure it isn’t loaded.

Then, pull the trigger and dry fire the empty pistol. This will disengage the Stryker pin before disassembly. When you are ready to reassemble, the slide to the frame, you will be able to easily get the slide completely back on as the slide will re-engage the Stryker pin as you slide it in the frame and manipulate it fully towards the rear, cocking the pistol.

See this. :)

Thank you! The thing that I don’t understand, though, is that I did pull the trigger before I removed the slide. The trigger was locked in the rear position both times that this happened.

Congratulations on an excellent choice for a first gun.

I carried (on and off duty) a Glock 19 Gen 4 for quite awhile. We're both retired now but it makes a very good "house gun" with an O-Light Mini on the under rail. Very simple to maintain and most of the components that may wear out eventually (mine have not after 10's of thousands of rounds, are available for owners to replace themselves.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I was going to suggest what others already have about pulling the trigger. Since you are doing that I got nothing. Maybe it is being ornery because you have not shot it yet. 🤣

OkieStubble

Thank you! The thing that I don’t understand, though, is that I did pull the trigger before I removed the slide. The trigger was locked in the rear position both times that this happened.

I don’t know how old you are, but at my age, sometimes I will swear I did something to just realize, I only thought I did. :)

Here are a few common Glock fixes.

I am in my early 40’s and am 100% sure I dry fired the gun and the trigger was in the rear-most position and locked when I removed the slide. From my reading, it seems like it is a glitch that is sometimes seen in new Glocks that eventually corrects itself. I am really looking forward to taking it to the range this week for the first time. Thank you all for your comments and well wishes!

OkieStubble

I am in my early 40’s and am 100% sure I dry fired the gun and the trigger was in the rear-most position and locked when I removed the slide. From my reading, it seems like it is a glitch that is sometimes seen in new Glocks that eventually corrects itself. I am really looking forward to taking it to the range this week for the first time. Thank you all for your comments and well wishes!

Early 40’s is still young enough that you probably didn’t miss pulling the trigger back before you field stripped it?

I can’t speak too much on Gen5 Glocks, but In my time, I have literally shot, hundreds if not thousands of brand new Glocks, used old beat up Glocks from Gen4 to Gen1 in every different caliber, model, configuration and everything in between.

Have taught and trained literally, hundreds if not thousands of police academy cadets with spanking brand new Glocks right out of their boxes and veteran patrol officers in the way of the Glock, who already had thousands of rounds thru theirs.

And this is the first time I have heard of your issue?

So it hasn’t ever been seen by me unless the trigger wasn’t pulled, or isn’t common knowledge, at least with me and all the years under my belt? And I personally own 7 Glocks.

So it’s either a new problem with Gen five’s that is only common knowledge with those who own gen fives?

Or, being new with pistols, you didn’t pull the trigger before you field stripped. Even though you’re 100% you did.

Not debating you or denying what you’re sure of,

Just sayin, it’s one of those two? :)

Anyhoo, welcome to the forum, I’m sure it will work itself out. Good luck at the range and we hope you will come back and tell us how it went. :)

Last edited:
Here is an explanation I found on another forum that probably is correct as to what happened. This answer is not in response to a question posted by me, as you can see it is addressing a Glock gen 4, not a 5 like I have.

79A76DC1-E379-4975-8088-FE86628722E1.jpeg

OkieStubble

Here is an explanation I found on another forum that probably is correct as to what happened. This answer is not in response to a question posted by me, as you can see it is addressing a Glock gen 4, not a 5 like I have.

View attachment 1441999

Ok, I can see the issue here, but from reading what you posted, it’s still due to operator error and not the Glock.

So from what I just read, you did pull the trigger before field stripping your Glock, but when you went to pull the slide back and simultaneously pull down the take down lever, you pulled the slide back further then the few millimeters it takes to disengage the slide and you accidentally re-cocked your pistol which would indeed still lock the safety plunger and Stryker, due to the fact the gun being cocked.

So to correct this from happening again, don’t pull the slide back 1/4 to a half inch when attempting to take it apart. 3mm is all that is necessary.

I knew it would work itself out eventually. :)

Top Bottom