What's new

Backpack for Middle School

I keep telling him not to carry all of his books around all day and not to bring all of his books to and from school every day. He doesn't listen to me. I don't know where he gets that from!
there is a huge inconvenience in using a locker, especially in highschool where there's not enough time to go to your locker in-between classes because it's across the building from the class you're headed to. I hate going to my locker because I end up late no matter what i try.

I tried JanSport, High Sierra, and a bunch of other brands before finally settling on North Face. It is the only brand that did not tear apart and look like it went through WWII after a year.

get one with a waist strap, and teach him how to set it up properly. You can't stop him from carrying around 35# of weight but you can help him not throw his back out by junior college.

I got a black bag that I paid $20 for from the PX 7 years ago. Its a step down from the SOC lines but its still holding up good.

there is a huge inconvenience in using a locker, especially in highschool where there's not enough time to go to your locker in-between classes because it's across the building from the class you're headed to. I hate going to my locker because I end up late no matter what i try.

Indeed, lockers were pretty inconvenient. I remember pretty much carrying at least a couple of classes worth at a time in class, and everything home.

I keep telling him not to carry all of his books around all day and not to bring all of his books to and from school every day. He doesn't listen to me. I don't know where he gets that from!

I wouldn't discourage him from bringing all of his books home. He probably needs them. I know when I was in high school, I had homework in every class, every night, and if not specific homework, studying to be done for an upcoming test or quiz. Getting into that kind of mode will be good for him if he'll be attending college.

I taught for fifteen years (HS Spanish). Ask him if there are online versions of his textbooks. If they're less than five years old they are online, you'll just have to find them.

REI has a pretty good selection of backpacks/day packs. I've got an Outdoor Products bag that I've used for quite a while carrying stuff back and forth to work as well as a bag for travel trips less than 3 days. It has a pocket for a laptop, another for a tablet and plenty of room for other stuff (including textbooks, clothes, etc.).

If you have a REI in your area, I'd stop by and shop around for whatever's "cool" :thumbup1:

get one with a waist strap, and teach him how to set it up properly. You can't stop him from carrying around 35# of weight but you can help him not throw his back out by junior college.

I got a black bag that I paid $20 for from the PX 7 years ago. Its a step down from the SOC lines but its still holding up good.

I certainly would not have worn the waist strap in middle school. Even if my pack had one.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Based on all of the positive feedback, we decided to order a Jansport. Should arrive tomorrow. Thanks!!!

JanSport is probably alright, they seem pretty popular, but I've never owned one, never really was attracted to them for some reason. I do have a Kelty, and have been pretty happy with it. I've never heard anything bad about either Kelty or JanSport that I can recall. For future reference, you might check out Backpacker magazine for reviews.

I have a Jansport that I still have from my college days which was gasp nearly 20 years ago. It saw duty as a daypack in the BWCA, deer hunting etc. The only issue is I have one zipper that sometimes doesn't work quite properly, but IMO not too bad for a pack that used to be able to carry all of my college texts (and I mean all biology chemistry etc) at once.
Currently my daughters use LL Bean packs. I've been very impressed with how they've held up. Unfortunately it does come with an issue that I won't let them get a new pack as the old ones are perfectly fine (if a bit dirty) which has been a bit of a sore point. But I reckon even going 2-3 years on a pack that costs about $20 more then a el cheapo at target saves money. Plus these packs do come with a lifetime warranty, much like the jansports.

For many years, I carried a Healthy Back Bag. It is unbelievably roomy, stands up to a lot of abuse, and the load is self-adjusting so that you can carry a lot of dead weight and still be comfortable. It has plenty of pockets to carry an iPhone, pens and pencils, keys, water bottles, lunch, etc.

Your son can still be using this when he gets to college.

www.ameribag.com

Last edited:
For many years, I carried a Healthy Back Bag. It is unbelievably roomy, stands up to a lot of abuse, and the load is self-adjusting so that you can carry a lot of dead weight and still be comfortable. It has plenty of pockets to carry an iPhone, pens and pencils, keys, water bottles, lunch, etc.

Your son can still be using this when he gets to college.

www.ameribag.com

Ah, a sling-pack. I switched to one of those this year for my hunting pack, and it's great. Nicely distributes the load, and doesn't get in the way of my rifle sling.

Top Bottom