What's new

musicman1951 Member Interview

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Meet Member musicman1951

54120.jpg

@musicman1951 has been a member of B&B since May 01, 2012

01. How did you find Badger and Blade and why did you become a member?

My son introduced me to B&B. I'm not sure he ever joined and still uses the original razor and brush he started with, so we don't have much in common there.

02. When you did or if you are working, in general what did or do you do?

I was a band director for 44 years. In the elementary and middle schools most of my day was giving group lessons, but at the high school I had two band rehearsals a day and a theory class. When I was in the elementary I had one 30 minute rehearsal a week and was always jealous of the daily HS rehearsal. Then I transferred to HS and found out how much work it was to plan two rehearsals every day, along with 10 times as much music. But I loved every day.

03. What part of the country where you were born do you like the most?

I was born in upstate NY, and except for 4 years in PA when I was very young I've lived my whole life here – so far. I like the weather in California, but not the fires or prices. I like the south in January, but I was just in Florida in August and thought I might actually melt. Then there's hurricanes.
Upstate has seasons. Winter is cold and there's snow. But we don't have anything dangerous. I like it here. Spring and Fall are beautiful, and most of summer is perfect for golf.

04. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go?

There are so many places I have yet to visit. I loved every city from Budapest to Amsterdam on a river cruise a few years back. In October we're cruising from Barcelona to Venice. Ireland was great. Canada is very attractive. I'll let you know after a few more vacations.

05. Do you have any hobbies or pastimes?

Golf, cabinetmaking and grandchildren, ages 9, 13, 14 and 17.

06. Why did you choose the avatar that you have now?

It looks a lot like me, although it looks a little out of focus since we went to the new server. I guess maybe I need a new one. I though a picture with a few of the trumpets fit with musicman1951.

07. If you could choose any person in the world, now or from the past, who would you like to sit down and have a drink with?

This is such a hard question. Only one? I suspect a drink with Samuel Clemens might be fun.

08. What is something you'd like to do, but have not had the opportunity to do it?

I'd like to conduct the New York Philharmonic. Mahler 1 would definitely be on the program.

09. What is one thing or accomplishment in your life that you are proud of?

I'm proud of my children, both my own two (a successful music teacher and the grand puba of technology for an Amazon warehouse), and the many students I enjoyed that went beyond their expectations and made amazing music. I taught at an inner-city high school and we were a level 6 (highest) gold NYSSMA ensemble playing mostly college music.

10. What is one piece of advice that you would offer to people in general?

We are all broken in our own way. Give people a break, they need one. And give yourself a break as well. Humans don't do perfect well. Love as much as you can and try to forget the rest.

11. If you could have any super hero power, what would you choose?

The ability to make everyone happy.

12. If you had to choose to be a kind of animal, what would you want to be?

Bald Eagle.

13. What kind of music do you like?

Classical, Jazz, Classic Rock, Folk, just about anything played well. I'm not fond of Rap.

14. If you could be any movie character, who would you like to be?

Neo.

15. If someone wrote a book about your life, what would the Title of that book be?

Leader of the Band

Hey Musicman..... Great interview. I'm also in upstate NY, just west of Albany, and I agree with you 100% about
our weather. Four seasons, each with its own benefits. I play lots of golf from April to October, and have learned
to tolerate the sometimes "crappy weather" of winter. And, my all time favorite movie is "The Music Man" ----
Robert Preston, Shirley Jones, Paul Ford, Hermoine Gingold, Buddy Hackett, Ron Howard ----- Perfect together !
Happy Shaving and 76 Trombones !

I hear a lot of passion, empathy and forgiveness in your responses. I also sense a great deal of pride. For these, I suspect your life is one that is full, rich, and contains a lot of happiness. If we could all be a bit more giving, a bit less suspicious, and a bit more understanding; this planet would be so much different.

Thanks for the great interview.

Great interview. I spent a lot of time in bandrooms both as a kid and later. My first wife is a band director, her dad was too for over forty years. The effect you have on young lives is one that can't be overstated. To be honest, my own band directors and music teachers had at least as much a role in shaping my values as my parents did.

Great interview. Thanks.

We also enjoy your part of the world...last a Fall we drove up to Saratoga Springs and explored the area for a bit. Had a great time.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks for your 4 decades of service to squirrelly hyperactive drummers like me my friend. How I was never beaten by the music teachers in my life is beyond explaining.... Years later I revisited the drums in hole in the wall bar bands.

If I would just live more like your answers to questions number 10 and 11 the werld would be a better place.

Thanks for being a good grandpa as well. I like that one sitting on your lap. He looks like good trubble!

Top Bottom