What's new

Backpack for Middle School

My son started middle school this year and carries around a ton of books. The backpack that we bought for him in September, Grip by High Sierra, is completely falling apart. We're looking for something new that is big enough to carry several binders and textbooks (even though my son is a pretty small kid) and that is sturdy enough to last for a while. I was looking at a Kelty Redtail, a Kelty Peregrine, or possible a Burton (although all of the Burtons seem to be a lot smaller). Anyone have any recommendations for a big, sturdy backpack? Thanks!

My daughter has hauled around a JanSport for the last 2 years and it has held up well. I neve spent a ton of money on them always treated hers as disposable 1 year bags because she liked gettign a new one as part of that back to school shopping thing. One of the few supplies she liked to get. If you hope to get more than that out of them then take a look at outdoor sporting good shops and look at daypacks instead of back packs. Or maybe int he laptop backpack section. They are more sturdy. I have a FUL brand that I use for a "personal bag" when I fly but I wouldn't call it rugged. Would probably last a year or so with everyday use.

When I was that age, my parents bought us all cheapie "disposable" bags. Getting into middle school, and carrying more books, my bag would pretty much be disentrigated half way through the spring semester.

The Jansport I bought going into high school in 2000 is still kicking for me. I used it heavily through high school. Literally. As in I took all honors/IB classes and never used my locker). Used it through college too, and its still holding up. I think it was one of the upper tier ones around $50 or so.

I have a North Face bag that I use for back and forth from the office now. Its actually designed to be a backpacking day pack. I've never really loaded it up, but I'm sure it will hold up for a very long time as well.

I'd always recommend a Jansport. They have a good reputation. My daughter is in third grade and we bought her a Fila bookbag this year and literally started coming apart within a couple of months. I wrote an email to Fila, but they didn't respond...figures.

Can't go wrong with Jansport. I bought one before college and that thing took a beating. It would carry my books during the week, beers on the weekend, my clothes on weekend trips, took it hiking, and more. Used it after college for a lot of the same purposes. Only recently, some 24 years after I bought it, did it disappear during a move. Was still going strong.

I was going to get my boys a Jansport but a buddy of mine supplies luggage to the military and hooked me up with some military-grade backpacks.

High school and college were in the 80's for me, but if I remember correctly, I think I had a Jansport as well. I used one in high school and all the way through college.

Jansport makes good stuff. I had one that I used constantly for weekend trips and into college after I left the Marines. I just had to replace it last Autumn. I had it for about 7 years until it started to rip at the zippers.

Swiss Army makes some pretty sturdy stuff too. But, pricier.

Swiss Army. Lifetime warranty. My son had a laptop backpack which developed a whole. He called Swiss Army customer service. They asked for his proof of purchase (Amazon, so it was easy to find), emailed the PDF, and in two days had a new backpack and a pre-paid box for the torn backpack.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out. I thought the Kelty Peregrine would last a while, since it's a military/tactical pack. The Kelty Redtail is a day pack. I figure whatever I buy should last at least through next year and possibly the following year, so I don't mind spending a little more money on it.

Here's what my son's backpack looks like now. Note that the big opening on top is not supposed to be an opening and many of the zippers no longer have the zipper pulls. Of course, you can't imagine the funk that thing gives off! [emoji43]

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421410442.666908.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421410457.289162.jpg

Pretty much anything sold during the back-to-school sales will be utter junk.

At some point during grade 4 or 5 the one I was using disintegrated and a new one had to be purchased "out of season" from an outdoorsy store. That backpack lasted most of the way through highschool. The one that finally replaced it was purchased from the same sort of store and survived the rest of high school, all of university, and is still my only backpack years later.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I've recently bought a Herschel Supply Co. Settlement 21L. Very high quality and sturdily built.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
LL Bean makes good book backpacks.

+1 on that. I used all of two L.L. Bean backpacks from 2nd grade through college (and still have the second, but it's finally about to lose the battle--twenty years later). My sons both have had L.L. Bean backpacks, too, from around 1st grade. The younger one is still on his first (6th grade). We just replaced the older one's, halfway through 8th grade. VERY durable.

My son started middle school this year and carries around a ton of books. The backpack that we bought for him in September, Grip by High Sierra, is completely falling apart. We're looking for something new that is big enough to carry several binders and textbooks (even though my son is a pretty small kid) and that is sturdy enough to last for a while. I was looking at a Kelty Redtail, a Kelty Peregrine, or possible a Burton (although all of the Burtons seem to be a lot smaller). Anyone have any recommendations for a big, sturdy backpack? Thanks!

I don't know what you're looking at in terms of cost, but I love the S.O.C. Three Day Pass. It's my daily carry for going to work. It has tons of compartments (which works for taking my uniform to and from Base), and it's light, but sturdy.
http://www.amazon.com/Sandpiper-California-Three-Pass-Backpack/dp/B007VMOU92

I'll put another vote in for Jansport. The last one I got was my sophomore year of high school. It's been on every trip with me all over the world and across the US. Aside from some minor fading, it looks like it did the day I got it.
I'd have to look it up, but I think they still do lifetime warranties for their bags. Send it there, they'll fix whatever is wrong on your backpack and you get the same one back for more adventures!

I've been using the same nike backpack since 6th grade and it's always overfull, it's still in great condition considering what abuse i give it. it holds a ton. I'm a sophomore right now, but my uncle used his (same model) from 6th grade until a few years into college before he retired it, still in good condition. it cost about $20 a few years ago i can try to get a better picture for you later if you're curious

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1421424641410.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1421424641410.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 64
Sturdiness aside, be careful with how much is getting loaded INTO that pack. Too much weight can be bad for his developing posture, physique, etc. As an example, I delivered newspapers as a kid with the old-fashioned paper bag over my left shoulder, resting on my right hip. One hour a day, five days a week for 6 years from age 10 to 16 left me with a lower and rolled left shoulder, and significantly less mobility in that joint.

All I will say about backpacks is that part of the reason they get trashed so quickly is that the kids do not use them as designed. One strap over a shoulder instead of both, for example. Throwing them towards their locker from a few yards out . . .

Sturdiness aside, be careful with how much is getting loaded INTO that pack. Too much weight can be bad for his developing posture, physique, etc. As an example, I delivered newspapers as a kid with the old-fashioned paper bag over my left shoulder, resting on my right hip. One hour a day, five days a week for 6 years from age 10 to 16 left me with a lower and rolled left shoulder, and significantly less mobility in that joint.

All I will say about backpacks is that part of the reason they get trashed so quickly is that the kids do not use them as designed. One strap over a shoulder instead of both, for example. Throwing them towards their locker from a few yards out . . .

I have been telling that to the VA for years.:laugh:

I keep telling him not to carry all of his books around all day and not to bring all of his books to and from school every day. He doesn't listen to me. I don't know where he gets that from!

Jansport Digital Student or Jansport Big Student.

There are lots of good ones, though. I do like the Herschels and almost any North Face. Capacity is key - if there will be lots of books going back and forth - closer to or more than 30 liters is ideal. The Digital Student is 34 L.

Top Bottom