What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

Bob’s Bullmastiff G37
5F35F32C-1A49-4754-9C44-4C3547E58639.jpeg

I recently started reading this thread again after being away for years. My last purchase until now was the ATT S1&S2, which I really like. I was able to get the Fine razor and would like to obtain the Wunderbar when they are back in stock. Today I received the Fine razor. I couldn’t be happier with my first shave with it.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Yaqi Slant
Or
Fatip Open Comb slant

Have a FOCS; don't have a Yaqi. Some of the stories I've heard about Yaqi make me think it's not for me.

The FOCS, now, I'm discovering even more depth to that razor. Lately I've been slacking the handle 1/8-1/4 turn and find that gives a lovely smooth shave. I can do the same thing with a shim under the blade, but this is easier and allows me to tighten up the handle again for the ATG pass. Then I can loosen up again for the cleanups.

Old Hippie

SOTD: Monday February 14, 2022
Razor: FOCS
Blade: Astra SP (4)
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: Peppermint Trip

Loosened the handle for WTG, tightened up a bit for ATG, loosened again for the cleanup phase. DFS+

O.H.

My first shave with the Wunderbar. I was expecting it to feel aggressive, but it actually felt no different than the G37 - excpet for the fact it is much heavier, which I really enjoyed.

So, after hearing about how harsh and unforgiving the WB could be, I was pleasantly surprised. I could see myself using this daily. I had no nicks or weepers, and the alum was unremarkable. Easy two pass (W/X) BBS, with zero drama. That must be why they called it the Wunderbar! :)

Old Hippie

RazoRock thin common bar tribute handle - love it

'Splain me somethin', Lucy...

What do you like about it? If you have other RR handles like the "UFO" which is one of my favourites, can you compare and contrast?

(Ya, I know. For the price I'm probably going to have to simply get one and try it.)

O.H.

Splain me somethin', Lucy...
89F1C1F3-1420-4DC4-B8D3-50837B61387A.jpeg

At the top are a Gillette ball end and a short, thin Merkur handle, both hollow and under 30 grams. The solid SS RazoRock thin common bar is 42g. The UFO halo is longer, thicker and weighs in at 65g.

My DE habits were formed with decades of using the top 2 on an Old Type and a 36 slant. With less mass, less length and a narrow diameter they exert less pressure, change angle, and twist and turn more easily than heavier, longer, thicker cylinders. I preferred my Merkur 36 to the 37 HD I tried after passing the 36 to my oldest son.

The solid RR TCB is still light enough for my tastes and balances well with SS razor heads. I am guilty of having pestered RazoRock to make a shorter thinner handle. The last time I looked it is not offered as a drop-down option to pair with any of their heads.

The relatively short 'ball end' UFO handles are the only acceptable handles [to me) among the thicker SS handles RazoRock offers. I have passed along all my longer RR SS handles, and I chopped off my RR Ti handles. 100mm is too long!

I don't own a Gillette thin common bar, just several of the wider standard common bar. I am perfectly happy using the 22g Gillette standard common bar. So I guess that light weight is more important to me than a narrow diameter.

Old Hippie

My DE habits were formed with decades of using the top 2 on an Old Type and a 36 slant.

Thank you! I had a feeling it was at least partially due to preferences formed earlier. I should try out the stainless UFO on the Wunderbar. I'm sure it would change the shave a bit from the Radio Knob handle I use, which makes the razor a jeezly big hunk of stainless. I kind of like the "gravity-powered shave" but I'm not all in for thick handles. I tend to find 85mm congenial, and 100mm handles just seem to get in the way.

O.H.

Top Bottom