What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

I guess I am a member of this brotherhood. My daily for nearly 3 years was Merkur 37C "Sledghammer" and I recently switched over to a Razorock Wunderbar. I also have a strange beast called an Alpha Ecliptic in both Bakelite and Aluminum. My girlfriend *loves* this razor and has claimed the Aluminum one for herself.

Has anyone got any experience with the ATT X1? I am looking at it and trying to convince myself I need one.

Mark

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I guess I am a member of this brotherhood. My daily for nearly 3 years was Merkur 37C "Sledghammer" and I recently switched over to a Razorock Wunderbar. I also have a strange beast called an Alpha Ecliptic in both Bakelite and Aluminum. My girlfriend *loves* this razor and has claimed the Aluminum one for herself.

Has anyone got any experience with the ATT X1? I am looking at it and trying to convince myself I need one.

Mark
I have no experience with ATT, other than reading about him, but I can relate to convincing myself of my needs!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

Well..."need" is a funny thing, isn't it?

I put up a couple weeks of shave reviews with it in the "Tilted Picnic" thread for this year in the DE sub.

The ATT X1 is the only modern single-edge slant (thanks to @efsk for the reminder). By definition it is a tilted slant. On a rather quick glance they don't look much different from an SE1, however having used SE1 and X1 I can say the X1 is less aggressive than the SE1. This is borne out by the blade gap and exposure on the X1, which gives a wonderfully mild razor with a touch of bladefeel.

I recommend it highly on my own experience. I'm kind of hoping for an X2 eventually -- mainly because I am amused at the idea of using just one razor for SEptember, SLANTember and OCtober. :001_rolle

I have a feeling that an OC version of this razor would still be fairly mild and feel quite "safe" in use, but would just pep things up a little notch. Make no mistake, though, the X1 is a serious razor and I imagine will give you excellent shaves.

(I shave my head with it. So does Matt at ATT. Seems like a recommendation...)

O.H.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSC_5630.png

iKon B1 Slant w/ATT Copper Handle
Personna‌ ‌Platinum‌ ‌Chrome‌ ‌Israeli‌ ‌Red‌
Elite Fire & Ice 24mm Manchurian White
Ethos Mélange d’agrumes Premium Soap
Ethos Mélange d’agrumes Premium Splas​

PAA "Monster" slants
iKon Shavecraft 102
ATT S2
ATT X1
Parker SemiSlant
RR German 37
RR Stealth V3 Stainless
Merkur 37/39

Those are ones I've used and found somewhat mild. Remember that "mild" is subjective. But I find "aggressive" razors in my opinion to match up with others' assessments, so I'm probably not far off.

My experience of the X3 is that it is certainly mild. Too much so, for me. So I no longer own one. I think it was a good effort but it's run its day and they should bring back the 102. (Heh. Waving the "Personal Opinion" flag...)

O.H.
Have you tried the Ikon 102 slant with a KAI blade ?

I find the Ikon 102 mild and efficient.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Have you tried the Ikon 102 slant with a KAI blade ?

I find the Ikon 102 mild and efficient.

I have an iKon Shavecraft 102, and coincidentally I also have a pack of Kai blades. :)

However, I've never put them together because I like the shave I get with an Astra SP in the 102.

Having used an X3 and found it not to my taste, I was doubly pleased to find out that the 102 and I get along famously. It was the first tilted slant that really worked for me.

O.H.

I have an iKon Shavecraft 102, and coincidentally I also have a pack of Kai blades. :)

However, I've never put them together because I like the shave I get with an Astra SP in the 102.

Having used an X3 and found it not to my taste, I was doubly pleased to find out that the 102 and I get along famously. It was the first tilted slant that really worked for me.

O.H.
I agree with your Astra SP comment .

My other slant is the RR German 37 , but the Ikon 102 is much better.

Old Hippie

SOTD: Monday November 15, 2021
Razor: RRSSSSV4 -- RazoRock Stainless Steel Stealth Slant V4
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Omega 10005 boar
Soap: Yardley

IMG_0598[1].JPG

I have to say that the Merkur guys who call the 39C the "Sledgehammer" sorta mis-applied the moniker. This thing is a sledgehammer. I picked it up before the last Tilted Picnic and it stuck around. I remembered it the other day and was close to the end of a blade on a razor that wasn't giving me as much joy as I thought it should so I hauled out the RRSSSSV4 to use for the next couple of weeks. Or maybe longer -- I'm feeling like it would reward some quality time.

But with a nice slick lather and a fresh blade I was rewarded with a DFS+ this morning.

O.H.

I got a Wunderbar with black Friday sales, and today I had to try it. I used a rapira plat Lux, the smoothest blade I have probably.

Just... Wow! Amazing shave! Just a bit less efficient than my favourite R41 but with much less blade feel and smoother. A more mindless shave if you will.

In 3+1 passes I got a BBS going even fairly quick.

Definitely money well spent.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD

Razor: Razorock German 37 slant- Mfg 2016> excellent mid range, might have to minor alignment blade to head before tightening, first razor to get a true BBS shave with and has always been a high performance razor IMO.
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4) sharp & smooth with great longevity.
Soap: Yaqi Lemon lime with cedarwood, mentholated mild scent with great lather qualities.(misted)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm timber wolf whiskers, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice gentle scrubber, great painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso green with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer lotion (balm) + scentless.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =
[IMG]
Excellent shave with my RR German 37 slant + Nacet blade.
SOTD, Dec 2, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom