What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Day 6 6/6 shaving and still in.
George Brittain 6/8 wedge
A&E Peach & Cognac
Semogue 1250

Last of the purchases from July got scrubbed. A razor bought on eBay July 21st never shipped and so Friday I asked eBay to step in and they issued a refund. My recipe for surviving a GRUME is to not look at eBay or BST at all. Too much temptation!😂

D6129A50-478A-4C9F-9C84-67EC06D70B30.jpeg

GRUME August Shave 4/16

No of Arko Shave 4

Prep : Hot shower
Preshave : None
Brush : Maggard Synthetic
Soap : Arko Stick
Razor : Merkur HD 34 C
Blade : GSB (no clue 5/6 who knows)
Post : Alum block, Stirling Margaritas in the artic splash

Well it's been a long while since I last shaved back to back days .... like what when I dated my wife ...

This is interesting to have Socially acceptable shaved face 2 days in a row, a tab of hydrating cream could help the skin though.

Now on to decide if I will shave tomorrow or not and keep my expected August shave's scheduled on , and then there is the elephant in the room, keeping on going with Arko or switching out to something different.

Another soap comparison shave. These 4 are similar scents. They share the scent notes of basil, bergamot, oakmoss, & patchouli. Zingari Man's The Wanderer also lists the added note of citrus. The Shave Mercantile's Classic Country Barber adds the note of powder. Maggard's London Barbershop and The Wanderer smell identical to me. The oakmoss, and perhaps the basil, have a sharpness that is not offensive but definitely burns my nose a bit. Mike's Natural Barbershop, is very similar to these two, but the notes are more subdued and there is a slight creaminess to the scent. I am not sure if it is a lower scent ratio or if the base rounds off the sharpness. The Shave Mercantile's Classic Country Barber is definitely the most unique of the four. It is noticeably less sharp. The oak moss is subdued a bit by the powder, and there is a slight touch of sweetness. All 4 are good performers.

Black Ship Grooming's Two Bits, Shannon's Barbershop, and Viking's Old Norse have those 4 same notes only (basil, bergamot, oakmoss, & patchouli). Soap Commander's Honor adds orange, spices, honey, and tobacco; Chiseled Face's Ghost Town Barber adds cedar, leather, smoke, & gunpowder; and Wet The Face's Modern Barbershop adds orange, spices, bay, musk, and rum.
IMG_6612b.jpg

SV Saturday
Day 6, 19.4% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Nacet Stainless #4
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Opuntia day is here again. I only needed a basic shave, but with kit that performs this well, why wouldn't you go for the full BBS? The Nacet is still OK on its 4th use.

The 2-in-1 is getting low, but I have 6 more bottles lined up.

Date
07.08.2022 Super Smooth Sunday
Main Focus:7/31 Days in GRUME (16.1% competed and still in)
216/219 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other:High Efficiency Razors Summer
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
All Aventus August
Prep:Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Cream:Dutchy Bergamot
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Bowl:Proraso tub
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) slanted
ATG (S-N) slanted
Touch up XTG (W-E) slanted
Razor:R41
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (3)
Rating:9/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Notes to today’s shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11876718

Still in!
20220805_140859-01-01.jpeg

Same setup as yesterday. Another beautiful run with the absolutely gorgeous smelling Royal Forest shaving cream and the Konsul on settings 3 and 1. Smooth, yet efficient. Two passes, almost BBS.

Getting back home now... 😀 what a great wedding party this has been 💥🕺👍

Enjoy your Sunday, y'all!

linty1

My wallet cries.
A7D0705E-4105-4546-8E87-03E49330B288.jpeg

Excitedly twisted open the sample "Dirty" (? me neither) did my usual routine, smeared some on my face, went to lather... and GAH! latherless cream. Nothing against it, just 100% not my cup of tea. Speaking of not my cups of tea, this ATT SSM isn't. I actually love the handle and the circle lather holes, its a well made razor, just its... drving a car and the wheel is very numb/has zero feel. Efficient though, and the final shave was actually good.

Off to Dawn this brush to get the brushless lather residue off.

Still in, day 7...
Razor - Lupo 95SB
Blade - Astra SP
Brush - RazoRock Big Bruce
Soap - Arko & Sterling Glacial Electric Sheep Mashup
After Shave - Proraso Green
9.5/10

Pretty exciting trying out this soap combo. I'm loving it. Mellows out the Glacial chill a little. Plus I can kill some of the Arko I have on hand.

How far are you into the kilo of Cella? How often do you use it and how long do you think it will last you?
I started using the remaining ~485 grams of the Cella brick on the 1st of January and I've been using it exclusively every day since.

I have ~170 grams left so I expect to finish it in late January or early February. I'm now in full-on 3017 mode so nothing but badger and/or boar brushes until it's over. We'll see how it goes...

Last edited:
I started using the remaining ~485 grams of the Cella brick on the 1st of January and I've been using it exclusively every day since.

I have ~170 grams left so I expect to finish it in late January or early February. I'm now in full-on 3017 mode so nothing but badger and/or boar brushes until it's over. We'll see how it goes...
That is incredible. I tried to do soap of the month and failed after 4 days. I would like to do this, I need to just have discipline. I have kept my commitment to not buy anything beginning August 1st. Now it's just time to kill the soaps I have on hand.

That is incredible. I tried to do soap of the month and failed after 4 days. I would like to do this, I need to just have discipline. I have kept my commitment to not buy anything beginning August 1st. Now it's just time to kill the soaps I have on hand.
There was a time when I would use one soap for a week and then switch to another. The problem for me was I had a lot of soap (and I still do) and felt like I wasn't making any progress with reducing the amount. That's when I switched to one soap a month... and now 3017.

If I could do it over, I would never own more than six soaps or creams at once. A lot of what I bought was based on scent rather than performance. I would stick with unscented soaps and rely on aftershave, balm, or cologne for fragrance. Yet another lesson learned...

Top Bottom