What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

I have been using the same set-up since the beginning of August, and planning on doing the same till the end of the month.

My GFT Violets wasn't getting any love, and I prefer it to be used sooner than later. Also, this is Monsoon month, so excess humidity may cause some breakouts with tallow soaps for me, this is as good an excuse as any to use up a finicky soap.

Feather Artist Club razor
Feather Professional blade
GFT Violets soap
RazoRock Beehive 28 mm Plissoft

I just changed the blade after using the previous Professional blade for 16-18 shaves, I'm not sure of the exact usage number.

My order for Knots and handles have started arriving, I'm doing the knotting for a friend as well.

Once all the packages are delivered, it'll be a very budget friendly way to experience a wide variety of knots in my favourite handles, at least that's what I hope.

Like, totally still in and stuff.

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S/R4
  • Nacet (19)
  • No-name deer-horn mystery badger
  • ARKO! - SOTM and Arko August
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling South Padre ASB
  • Stirling Bergamot and Lavender AS
An easy shave.

I went for an afternoon motorcycle ride yesterday and it was pretty warm through Napa and St. Helena. Jumped in the shower when I got home and then did a quick one-pass shave with the TCOT to wipe off the two-day growth before heading to our little downtown for a stroll and Burmese food with SWMBO. That clean-up made for an easy, mostly XTG one-pass shave this morning.

No fuss from the blade or the lather, and very little warmth from the aftershave. I think the blade is about ready for the R5 plate, so I'll likely make that change for tomorrow.

Onward!

SOTD #7

Great shave today, away from my normal routine.
I have since found that this razor is a steal (brass actually) and has consistently provided me with great results while using Nacets and PermaSharps.

Ironically have yet to use this razor with its namesake blade...
  • No Pre-Shave Oil
  • ARKO (SOTM) (Arko August)
  • Proraso Pro89
  • Weishi 9306p (Wilkinson TTO)
  • PermaSharp (3)
  • No Astringent
  • No Splash
  • Nivea Soothing Post-Shave Balm

There was a time when I would use one soap for a week and then switch to another. The problem for me was I had a lot of soap (and I still do) and felt like I wasn't making any progress with reducing the amount. That's when I switched to one soap a month... and now 3017.

If I could do it over, I would never own more than six soaps or creams at once. A lot of what I bought was based on scent rather than performance. I would stick with unscented soaps and rely on aftershave, balm, or cologne for fragrance. Yet another lesson learned...
This has been my take away as well.
I have bought many soaps impulsively on fragrance only to find that mostly, performance was lacking.

Luckily I have found GRUME and SOTM (FFFMM also) to get things to a focused stop to ratchet up techniques and determine necessity. I have since gravitated to high performing, neutral smelling soaps. My goal will be to 3017 two by year's end.

Last edited:
Still in.

20220807_193233-01.jpeg

Had a nice shave this morning. 😀
Hope everyone is doing fine.

Happy shaves!

Still in.
Second shave with te R41 and the Treet carbon blade.
Full BBS but shave felt a little harsh, time to move on.

Still using the same Simpson cream untill finished, think it will last another 3 to 4 shaves.

Just like @bjm started with a soap for the whole week and also had the feeling there wasn't any progress.
So switched to SOTM club with nothing then benefits. I get to know a soap really well now, and after a month's usage i realised that it is going to lake a looooong time to deminish my soap stash. This helps me a lot to avoid any soap purchases and makes gruming succesfull and not hard at all.

I thought I could squeeze another shave out of my single edge Gem blade (7) if I tried a milder razor (Gem Junior 1912 Series) than the Micromatic Open Comb. Nope. At least there was no irritation. I finished with my Leaf, which I don’t think I’ve used since May. Got a DFS+.

Still in.

Have not posted in a while as we were on a vacation to Hawaii to see our granddaughter (and her parents). Wonderful trip full of beautiful hikes, ocean swims, great food and toddler chasing.

Evening shave after 3 days of growth.

Stirling Executive Man Soap
Omega Professional Boar brush
Leaf Twig razor
Leaf blade (2) binned
Lucky Tiger
Nivea Sensitive Skin ASB

Did a rare 3-pass shave. Very satisfied with the results overall but the blade was a bit tuggy on the first pass. The soap is pretty much done. I will certainly get more Stirling soap but will try a new scent next.

Day 8, 25.8% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Nacet Stainless #5
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Back to my favourite Game Changer. I let autopilot do most of the work, but still got a comfortable DFS+.

Still in

I've started the DIY knotting of the knots and handles from my first delivered package.

My first brush came out a bit slant, nothing crooked. Another wet shaver have shown interest in the Motherlode, so I'll send it off to him after a trial lathering to see if everything is alright.

I learned from the experience and made some adjustments in the next knotting, and my Maggards SHD came out looking gorgeous.

Same set-up for shaving:

Feather Artist Club razor
Feather Professional blade
GFT Violets soap
RazoRock Beehive 28 mm Plissoft

Attachments

• IMG-20220809-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20220809-WA0001.jpeg
    958.3 KB · Views: 6
Still in 2 days growth

GRUME August Shave 6/16

No of Arko Shave 5

Prep : Hot shower
Preshave : None
Brush : Proraso Boar
Soap : Bol A Raser Monsavon
Razor : Merkur HD 34 C
Blade : Platinium (1)

Well some may call this one the common french man shave

Born and raised in Normandie, I went back after 5 years in France and while some of you might get excited to go in some Parisian shop, I stopped by the local grocery store. I spent less than $10 box and brought it back to Texas (soap, blad, AS). And with Arko month going on I though this would be a good set up to switch from the Arko soap.

Well the result are on par the Monsavon real soft croap has a chemical neither pleasant or unpleasant smell, the lather seems to act the same maybe a tad more glide with the Monsavon. The post shave is on par and not that great ... at least for me.

Well lets give this a ugly face a day or two of reprieve before the next shave

IMG-0408.jpg

Top Bottom