What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

There was a time when I would use one soap for a week and then switch to another. The problem for me was I had a lot of soap (and I still do) and felt like I wasn't making any progress with reducing the amount. That's when I switched to one soap a month... and now 3017.

If I could do it over, I would never own more than six soaps or creams at once. A lot of what I bought was based on scent rather than performance. I would stick with unscented soaps and rely on aftershave, balm, or cologne for fragrance. Yet another lesson learned...
Tabac is probably the best performing soap I have. I have about 6 ounce in a tub, and another in opened replacement puck. Then the kilo of cella. About 1/4 left of Sterling Glastonbury, almost brand new Sterling Glacial Electric Sheep, 2 and a half sticks of Arko, brand new Ghost Town Barber by Chiseled Face, PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum, 90% left, and a couple of samples Sterling sent me. I want to use it all until it's gone. It's probably best to only use one until it's gone, but not sure if I can commit to it. I respect what you are doing.

Tabac is probably the best performing soap I have. I have about 6 ounce in a tub, and another in opened replacement puck. Then the kilo of cella. About 1/4 left of Sterling Glastonbury, almost brand new Sterling Glacial Electric Sheep, 2 and a half sticks of Arko, brand new Ghost Town Barber by Chiseled Face, PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum, 90% left, and a couple of samples Sterling sent me. I want to use it all until it's gone. It's probably best to only use one until it's gone, but not sure if I can commit to it. I respect what you are doing.
You have some great soaps there. Thank you, but I may switch things up when the Cella is gone; a year is a long time with one soap. :cool:

I should be able to finish between three and five soaps in a year, so I plan to pick three and rotate them each month. When one is finished, bring in another from my stash.

How is this related to the GRUME? Well, for me it's hard to justify purchasing a new soap when I know I won't use it for at least a month because of current commitments.

Also when I stated earlier that I would stick with unscented soaps, what I really meant was I would buy a soap based on performance rather than scent and rely on aftershave, balm, or cologne for fragrance. I really like Arko, Cella, MWF, Stirling, Tabac, etc.

Last edited:
Sunday August 7 - Still in

Gillette Slim Twist
Schick Ultra (2)
Barberians Pure Badger
La Toja
Fine Platinum

IMG-4685_DSC_4685 (2).JPG

Aug 7th still in, no missed shaves

CV Heljestrand MK 32
Semogue 1250
Proraso pre shave
A&E Peach&Cognac

I put a little super glue into the scales crack after the shave, hopefully that will keep it in check.

I bought the Proraso early on as I was diving into soaps. It was actually a mistake, I meant to buy the shaving cream. Still not sure I know how to use it. Right now I get in the shower and wash my face. Then I rub some PRR-shave on and leave it on for the rest of the shower, rinsing off at the end. Is it making a difference? Not really sure.

491E47BF-D508-4520-B5E1-8351E59A2795.jpeg

SOTD #5

Nice quality shave, but reinforces my previous conclusion that the GSB is not for me. Not that it’s a bad blade per se, it just doesn’t deliver a great experience for me.

• No Pre-Shave Oil
  • ARKO (SOTM) (Arko August)
  • Simpson's Special S1 - Best
  • Mühle R89
  • GSB (2)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Dr Jons Sakura Musk Splash
  • Nivea Soothing Post-Shave Balm
SOTD #6

Go figure, kept the GSB for another go today and turned out a great shave. I’m learning to keep the mind less into things and simply just go with it.
  • T&H Pre-Shave Oil
  • ARKO (SOTM) (Arko August)
  • Simpson's Special S1 - Best
  • Mühle R89
  • GSB (3)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • B&M LGC Splash
  • No Post-Shave Balm

Gents, I’m sorry I’m out. I’ve had an itch to “upgrade” my brush collection and two opportunities arose that I just couldn’t pass: one a trade for a Zenith Manchurian Chubby, the other an absolute bargain purchase for a Rudy Vey badger.

I wish you all success in your continued restraint and will cheer you along.

Gents, I’m sorry I’m out. I’ve had an itch to “upgrade” my brush collection and two opportunities arose that I just couldn’t pass: one a trade for a Zenith Manchurian Chubby, the other an absolute bargain purchase for a Rudy Vey badger.

I wish you all success in your continued restraint and will cheer you along.
If you gotta go, go without remorse :cool:

It seems like you did good. See you in September...

Well I’m really bad at this. I’m out and can’t even claim GRUWE for a full week of August ha.
No worries, we have all been there once or twice. You can still tag along and buy nothing for the remainder of the month. I was out of July on day 6. Out of June too. So I am not yet so sure about August either. Still I am here to learn to increase my restraint muscle and only buy the things I need.

Hey and you managed at least a couple of days!

Best,

Guido

Went to my Mother in-law today and there was a package waiting for me from back in June when I washed out with my GTS handle.

2 new Turkish AS and a bottle of Varon Dandy AS. I already went through a bottle of Varon Dandy Cologne using it as a Body splash. So my reasoning was to get the AS and use it as Cologne AND AS - let’s see if this works as planned…
View attachment 1500247
Are those all glass bottles, Hannes? (as I have a preference for glass). Already liking the Varon purely based on the name. Scent wise similar to Floïd’s or something completely different?

Guido

Last edited:
Still in
Tonight’s routine was
Pre-Shave: Warm face wash
Razor: Rockwell 6C (4)
Blade: GSB
Brush: FS 3 band Silvertip
Soap: SV Dolomiti 4.0
Post-Shave: Alum Block
SV Dolomiti ASL
Nivea Protect & Care ASB

Nice drama free BBS shave. 1 small weeper but alum and cold face wash cleared that up.
Gonna try and be strong this month 😎😎😎

Date
08.08.2022 Mild Monday
Main Focus:8/31 Days in GRUME (25.8% competed and still in but struggling)
217/220 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other:High Efficiency Razors Summer
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
All Aventus August
Prep:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Cream:Haslinger Sandelholz
Aftershave:Floïd’s The Genuine
Balm:Nivea Sensitive
Bowl:Proraso tub
Brush:Omega Super Badger
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) slanted
ATG (S-N) slanted
XTG (W-E) slanted
Touch up ATG
Razor:King C. Gillette
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (1)
Rating:8/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Very nice and mild shave with my first DE razor.

Notes to today's shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11878112

Top Bottom