What's new

Arko is King

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
All of the above.........try it, you owe it to yourself! I really recommend the puck first, then move to the shave sticks should you want to do those instead.

I've tried it before...little red tub. I suppose for the price point it gets the job done. There are a lot of really good soaps out there, very slick with a great scent. They might not be as cheap as Arko, but performance and scent wise they kinda destroy it. Nothing wrong with Arko...some people find the scent to be offensive, I found it to be acceptable, but there are many soaps that surpass it. It definitely has a following though. Enjoy!

I am very happy. I have just had the best shave yet. A night time shave clears the mind and cheers you up. I just used Arko. It doesn't seem to have any vices. I am learning to lather using just Arko at the moment. As with all things, it is in the individual technique gradually learned. I am getting increasingly good results. It's a great beginners soap. I like the little man on the sticks too.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am very happy. I have just had the best shave yet. A night time shave clears the mind and cheers you up. I just used Arko. It doesn't seem to have any vices. I am learning to lather using just Arko at the moment. As with all things, it is in the individual technique gradually learned. I am getting increasingly good results. It's a great beginners soap. I like the little man on the sticks too.
That is my twin brother that posed for the "Arkoman!"

James Tiberius Kirk....true story doggone!

JCarr

If you like Arko...try Stirling Electric Sheep. The scent is similar to Arko, but better and the slickness is way better.

JCarr

I didn't know this was an Arko clone until last week! I've never tried it, but I'll have to. Someday. Can you get it with menthol?
I think they do offer a Glacial version of it that has cooling. I'm not sure it's an Arko clone, but the scent is similar...maybe a little stronger on the lemon, but not much more. When I got it and smelled it...I thought...this smells like Arko. The good thing about it is...it's one of their mutton tallow soaps...you just can't beat the performance on Stirling's Mutton Tallow soaps. Slick stuff!

I think they do offer a Glacial version of it that has cooling. I'm not sure it's an Arko clone, but the scent is similar...maybe a little stronger on the lemon, but not much more. When I got it and smelled it...I thought...this smells like Arko. The good thing about it is...it's one of their mutton tallow soaps...you just can't beat the performance on Stirling's Mutton Tallow soaps. Slick stuff!
I do believe that Arko is also sheep tallow based. Turkey's most popular meat is mutton/lamb, so mutton tallow would be the most common.
I find Arko to be acceptably slick if the brush is well soaked. That seems to develop the richest lather. I give my face a good soap wash, then apply the Arko stick directly to undried face in generous amounts. It seems a wetter brush provides best results. I just did a 3 pass shave and had enough in the brush for 2 more. It makes even a starter brush a lather machine.
I have found no problems with Arko being too dry. It is in the amount of water used on brush. It is also extremely slick if used with a well soaked brush.
Just a newbie's experience with Arko so far.

Last edited:

JCarr

Thankfully this soap is priced over 12x the price of Arko, which probably makes the scent hip and cool.

It's actually not. Electric Sheep is $14 for 5.8 ounces. Arko is $7 for 3.17 ounces. Getting the Arko price from Amazon.com and the Stirling price from their website. The price difference isn't that much.

JCarr

Are you suggesting that wee tub of soap lasts about as long as 12 sticks of Arko?

Is what's in the Arko tub a different product than what's in the stick? Is the stick product better than the tub? Was comparing Arko tub to Stirling tub.

What are you paying for Arko?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Is what's in the Arko tub a different product than what's in the stick? Is the stick product better than the tub? Was comparing Arko tub to Stirling tub.

What are you paying for Arko?
Last time I bought Arko was 2016-17, and it was $14 for 12 sticks, shipped. I think it still sells for about that price. The Arko tub is the same soap as the stick but obviously at a significantly higher price.

Top Bottom