What's new

Are there more all-in-one shaving oils that I am not aware of

Like many on this forum, I like to try out different shavers, techniques, soaps, creams, etc.. On a holiday a few months ago, I ended up without any soap, gel or cream. At the local hairdresser, I bought an oil (brand De Facto) for shaving. Having tried out several oils in the past (from homemade to King of Shaves), none of those oils worked well enough for me to be an all-in-one solution. However, this one works so well, that slowly it even has been taking over most of my morning choices. My question to this forum is, are there any other shaving oils that work well as all-in-one (apply once before shaving, shave, rinse face and ready).

I have found a couple of gels that will work - Bawston and Tucker Shave Gel, and Crown Shaving Supreme Glide Pre-Shave Formula (the directions say you can use it by itself). B&T works okay, mixed results from Crown - YMMV

For the oils - Somersets Maximum Glide works (I use it as a preshave but have shaven with just it a couple of times), King of Shaves Shave Oil works, Pacific Shaving Company Natural Shave Oil works, I haven't tested American Crew Ultra Gliding Shave Oil yet, Shave Secret Deluxe Shave oil did okay, Jüsün (Jason without the umlauts) Men's Shave Oil is the cheapest I have found.

There are probably others. If I have a choice I am all in for all the pleasure of the experience. Just oil is just a much less satisfying wham bam thank you to me. Then again, maybe the right oil hasn't shown up yet. Until then its strictly pre-shave.

Thanks, some great suggestions. I will try them. I am pleasantly surprised that there are also some shaving gels that might work for me. The few gels I tried so far, needed to be re-applied in between every pass. (With King of Shaves I also need to re-apply.) I will see which ones I can easily get here in the Netherlands (without having to pay import taxes). Do you have a recommendation which to start with?

Thanks, some great suggestions. I will try them. I am pleasantly surprised that there are also some shaving gels that might work for me. The few gels I tried so far, needed to be re-applied in between every pass. (With King of Shaves I also need to re-apply.) I will see which ones I can easily get here in the Netherlands (without having to pay import taxes). Do you have a recommendation which to start with?
Somersets seemed to work best as a standalone.

I experimented with shave oils many years ago.
Similar to your situation, I found myself in a strange city on a Sunday morning and realized that I had not brought along any shaving soap or cream, but I found a small, long forgotten bottle of Cade shaving oil among my toiletries.

The shave was better than expected and made me curious.
Eventually I discovered that, besides dedicated shaving oils, the kind of light massage oils that physiotherapists use works quite well.

In the end I stopped using oils, because I found that a pre-shave routine with soap and water, followed by face lathering prepared my facial hair better than any oil could.
The skin needs to absorb moisture to swell ever so slightly, thereby standing up the hairs in their follicles, and the hairs themselves soften from the combined action of lather and water.

To me at least, it seems to make for a better shave and I certainly enjoy using lathering with brush and soap more.

But that’s just me…

B.

Top Bottom