What's new

Arko is King

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Here ya go, Arko crowned!

CEF550BA-1643-40E8-9303-31D5C5C1170E.jpeg

It really is. I have a discontinued brick of Klar Kabinett, rose scented soap from Germany. I like to grate it 50/50 with Arko into a wooden shave soap bowl.

The rose scent mixed with Arko’s fresh laundry scent is pretty divine I must say. :)
Not only do you mix aftershaves, you mix soaps, too. Quite the shaving explorer.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Not only do you mix aftershaves, you mix soaps, too. Quite the shaving explorer.

Klar Kabinett is a wonderful Rose scented soap that was very popular here almost a decade ago, with great reviews before being discontinued. While I agree with the good reviews on it's nice smelling but industrial type Rose scent, It's performance and lathering ability, while good; still wasn't quite up there with other mass produced large brand soaps in their same middle of the road price category, like Tabac, MWF and others.

As loud as the citronella scent of Arko is known for, it's laundry fresh, white soapy scent, mixed well with Klar's laundry fresh, white soapy Rose scent. I have to admit, the blend works. Arko's strong, citronella, industrial soapy scent, is mellowed and muted by the Rose in Klar's.

And while Klar Kabinett's Rose is a nice agreeable scent. The Rose is quite strong and industrial smelling also. Arko also mellows down this Rose scent and they both blend together very nicely. Now I have a rose scented industrial type of white soap, which makes monster lathers, just as good or better than Arko alone. :)

I don't sit around and experiment with mixing soaps. Klar Kabinett has been discontinued for quite a few years now and I just happened to find a kilo brick of it in the back of a storage closet. Arko, while it's cheap and available, Arko's famous love or hate scent, isn't really conducive to mixing with just anything.

They both just happened to be, white soaps with industrial soapy, laundry type scents. One just happens to be strong industrial rose and the other, strong industrial citronella. I just got lucky and mixing them worked.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Actually Arko is the shaving soap of kings. It isn't a king itself. Someone should start a thread about these rumors surrounding the scent of Arko. Some allege that is a less than pleasing smell? I never heard such a thing. I wasn't aware that this is an issue for some people.
Honestly, Owen, who would read such a thread, let alone post to it?;)

I was at my barbershop last week getting a nice shave. I really liked the scent of the soap. I found it to be very clean and not as nauseating and over perfumed as most shaving soaps are. I asked the barber what soap he used. Care to guess what it was? :)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
ARKO has a use-by date, seven years after manufacture.

IMG_20211111_083526.jpg
This can be extended somewhat by storing your unopened ARKO in a close-fitting airtight container. This also helps to keep the heavenly ARKO sent from diffusing out of the soap before use.

Over the past year or so, I have asked a few of my girlfriends which scent of my shaving soaps they prefer. Almost all preferred ARKO (one preferred Tabac). The most common comment was that "it smells so manly". All of these girls were Asian in their twenties.

ARKO has a use-by date, seven years after manufacture...
Thank you! Given the generous lifespan of the King of Cheap Tallow Soaps I ordered a rack of beef (or lamb!) shave soap. Pretty sure it ain't pork Inshallah!

This lovely elite performing Ottoman soap will fill the void created by the acquiescing Saxons and the demise of their perfect classics. In this case Palmolive Stick.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thank you! Given the generous lifespan of the King of Cheap Tallow Soaps I ordered a rack of beef (or lamb!) shave soap. Pretty sure it ain't pork Inshallah!

This lovely elite performing Ottoman soap will fill the void created by the acquiescing Saxons and the demise of their perfect classics. In this case Palmolive Stick.
I feel the same way. I still have left about ¾ of a stick of Palmolive. Its use is now limited for weddings, christenings and funerals.

ARKO has a use-by date, seven years after manufacture.

Ha! I never noticed that before. My two sticks have the same dates.

Given that a stick lasts me ~ 7months, a 12 pack would last about seven years. I wonder if that calculation came into play when the expiration time was decided.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
As I said above I bought a dozen Arko sticks late in 2016, and I still have 7 left. I use it several times a month, and daily for the month of 'Arko-Sharko August.' A stick lasts a long time. I've never thought about the use by date, and wouldn't put much stock in it. I have a box filled with old Williams' soap. Most of it is from the 1970s-80s, but some of it is probably 75 years old. If you have any 75 year old soap you worry has expired you can just send it to me for disposal...

Hey any Arko stick technique shares?
Me...wash face w soap and hot water, leave face wet, color my whole face like using a huge crayon. Re-wet hands & rub all over till slippery. Go shave.

Top Bottom