What's new

Are Small Caliber Handguns Worth the Price?

Yesterday I found a coyote in my back yard. It looked healthy, and gave me an "Oh, crud" look, and when I automatically yelled, it took off. It didn't act rabid, but I don't like it one little bit.

After cutting back the outside pet food at feeding time, that had me thinking about handguns, preferably small caliber with low recoil so my wife will feel comfortable shooting (it also has me thinking about the Cold Steel Boar Spear for a walking stick, but that's another story). First thought was something in .22 long loaded with hollow points and go for head shots. That had me thinking about revolvers (since hollow points). But a check on prices has me rethinking this.

Example: A S&W DA in .22 Long weighs in in the $700s. A Ruger DA in the $600 range. If I go to semi-automatics and ditch the hollow point idea, the price drops to the $300s - $400s range.

A .38 Special DA is in the upper $300s - $400s range. A 9mm can be had in the $500s-600s range.

Thoughts on this?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I like small caliber handguns and have more small caliber handguns that the larger caliber ones. Even in 9mm I have more of the ones under 19mm than the parabellums. My personal favorites in revolvers are the 22LR, 32S&W (short and long) and the 38 S&W. Those are all generally low recoil and accurate.

I pistols I enjoy and trust 32acp as another very easy to manage and accurate round. Most of mine though are what I consider experienced but it's likely I'll add a modern example soon.

Today as an example I am carrying both a small caliber pistol and revolver; a modern Taurus PT-22 Poly with 8 22LR and one in the chamber and my old H&R 732 with six 32 S&W Long cartridges.

proxy.php

The Taurus has the tip up barrel to allow loading the gun without racking the slide for those who find that difficult.

proxy.php

The H&R is just lightly larger than a Smith "J" frame and even today you can usually find one for $200.00 or less.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
A .38 Special would be fine for the wild dogs. A 4" DA loaded with +P 125 JHP for the thin skinned coyotes should work well, especially at reasonably close range. You could also load it with regular pressure SWC rounds for less recoil that your wife should be able to handle if she finds the +P a bit much. SWMBO doesn't like full house .357 rounds but will shoot .38 Special +P all day.

That way you wouldn't have to worry about you or your wife being able to make head shots.

If you are just looking to save money, a smaller caliber pistol probably doesnt make much sense because you can get a 9mm or .380 for very little money and a .22 isnt going to be much, if any cheaper.
Your wife should be just fine with shooting a 9mm/.380. They both have pretty mild recoil, although .380s can be a big snappy because they are so small and light.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Any gun is better than none!

Sounds like you need an all purpose Kit Gun, (perhaps).

Typically a 3-4" .22 revolver, but a slim-barrel, small frame Police Positive .38 would do ...

AA

You better be a damn good shot if you plan on using a 22 pistol or any pistol for a head shot. Get yourself a Ruger 10/22 rifle. I'm hoping you don't have neighbors?

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
A .38 Special would be fine for the wild dogs. A 4" DA loaded with +P 125 JHP for the thin skinned coyotes should work well, especially at reasonably close range. You could also load it with regular pressure SWC rounds for less recoil that your wife should be able to handle if she finds the +P a bit much...

I second simon1’s .38 Special sentiments and if we’re talking a budget-priced wheel gun, I would suggest taking a look at a Taurus .38 +P-rated Model 85.

Though it was highly verboten, back when I was riding the rails & unwilling to stow a more expensive handgun, I’d throw a ($235) 2” Model 85 into my grip or cargo pants for those sketchy overnight industry jobs &/or long road trips through the Rockies. I installed a Wolff spring kit into the 85, which made the action very S&W-like. With over 1,000 rounds downrange, I’ve never had an issue with with that 85.

And they still can be had for sub-$300...

Last edited:
I’ve had a couple of those encounters they always give you a pause. One that scared me the most was walking out of the cottage to a mama bear and cubs on the porch.

I was tempted by the colt 1912 .22 for a while.

You better be a damn good shot if you plan on using a 22 pistol or any pistol for a head shot. Get yourself a Ruger 10/22 rifle. I'm hoping you don't have neighbors?

This is for close range situations. The coyote I came up on was maybe 20 feet (6 m) away. While concealed carry isn't a huge issue here, the ability to conveniently carry is important, or my wife won't. While I'm no stranger to carrying a shotgun (fixing fence in my teens with bears and coyotes around), my wife is. And it might not look good for the neighbors to see me with a shotgun or rifle in my hands whenever they drive by.

Shot placement is important regardless. Have seen them run pretty good distance with larger, more powerful, rounds.

Last edited:
If you are just looking to save money, a smaller caliber pistol probably doesnt make much sense because you can get a 9mm or .380 for very little money and a .22 isnt going to be much, if any cheaper.
Your wife should be just fine with shooting a 9mm/.380. They both have pretty mild recoil, although .380s can be a big snappy because they are so small and light.

Not destitute, but I can't buy every firearm I think would be fun (and end up each year doing nothing). Had thought of a .22 LR pistol for practice before moving up to a larger caliber, but looking at that price for two makes me balk. Plus, I want something that my wife could use for protection in other situations, and that had me at the .38 Special/ 9mm.

Now my mind is in danger of falling into the rut of looking for something better, and thinking .357 with .38 Special rounds. But also thinking of letting my wife choose, because she'd be more apt to use what she selected.

Yesterday I found a coyote in my back yard. It looked healthy, and gave me an "Oh, crud" look, and when I automatically yelled, it took off. It didn't act rabid, but I don't like it one little bit.

After cutting back the outside pet food at feeding time, that had me thinking about handguns, preferably small caliber with low recoil so my wife will feel comfortable shooting (it also has me thinking about the Cold Steel Boar Spear for a walking stick, but that's another story). First thought was something in .22 long loaded with hollow points and go for head shots. That had me thinking about revolvers (since hollow points). But a check on prices has me rethinking this.

Example: A S&W DA in .22 Long weighs in in the $700s. A Ruger DA in the $600 range. If I go to semi-automatics and ditch the hollow point idea, the price drops to the $300s - $400s range.

A .38 Special DA is in the upper $300s - $400s range. A 9mm can be had in the $500s-600s range.

Thoughts on this?
Ruger just came out with some very affordable 22 revolvers. I have not held one yet but Ruger is a very good company in my opinion.

Heritage manufacturing has a nice selection of revolvers in different calibers. They will never be accused of being collectibles but they are very reliable. I have used/abused one on my trapline for years. I have the 22/22 wmr rough rider. These are downright cheap and 22wmr packs a punch compared to 22 lr.

Both are made in the USA.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Buy whatever the wife will shoot frequently. Not just something she will tolerate shooting occasionally. I would not count on making a .22 LR head shot on a coyote even at close range. Sure it can be done. How long did that coyote stand still for a precise shot? You say a coyote will run off when shot with a bigger caliber, so what? It won't run far and it won't come back with a heart/lung shot. Obviously it would be desirable not to gut shoot it, but a guaranteed instant lights out may not be practical. A slight miss with an attempted head shot and you mangle it's jaw and it dies a slow cruel death. A slight error with a H/L shot, it still dies pretty quickly.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I had to put down a nuisance feral dog once that evaded all attempts by animal control officers and other more humane ways to capture it or run it off. Although the head shot with a scoped .22LR at about 25 yds. was lethal, it wasn't instantaneous. Luckily I was shooting a semi auto rifle and could follow up with a few rapid shots to the body and end it's suffering quickly. It was a most unpleasant experience none the less. It should have been a sure thing, but it was not.

Personally, if you can’t hit it with a pistol, it’s not really a “threat” and can be avoided. Recoil effects aim for inexperienced shooters too. So, for some, a .32 auto is going to offer more recoil than wanted.
H&R made some real gems, for .22lr.if you are on a budget. They are solid and have fully depreciated at this point.
Otherwise, Taurus is a good, budget-minded mouse-gun and revolver option.
Again, if this is driven by the arrival of a coyote, staying below as .38 is more than reasonable. They run from people.
In the end, I’d take my Beretta 87 & Remington 581/582 over most with a .38 special or above for nuisance control.

Buy whatever the wife will shoot frequently. Not just something she will tolerate shooting occasionally. I would not count on making a .22 LR head shot on a coyote even at close range. Sure it can be done. How long did that coyote stand still for a precise shot? You say a coyote will run off when shot with a bigger caliber, so what? It won't run far and it won't come back with a heart/lung shot. Obviously it would be desirable not to gut shoot it, but a guaranteed instant lights out may not be practical. A slight miss with an attempted head shot and you mangle it's jaw and it dies a slow cruel death. A slight error with a H/L shot, it still dies pretty quickly.

The "So what?" is that you still have to place your shots. What I'm getting at is that you can't just aim "at" a target in general. Say, any spot on a coyote. A heart/lung shot has the advantage of being larger than a brain shot, which is what you're going for with a head shot, and I'll not say one word against it. Just that at handgun range, if one is facing you intent on during harm, I don't know if a heart/lung shot would present itself, unless you count on enough penetration to put it in the chest cavity.

If you want a really great way to give your trigger finger a workout, a .22 lr revolver is right up your alley. Not because you get to shoot a cheap plinking round, but because rim fire revos are over sprung to ensure rim ignition. I have a little Taurus 94 and it’s easily got a 17lb da pull. Sa is about 10-11 lbs.

Trying to make a head shot with that kind of da pull would be nearly impossible even at 20 feet.

Top Bottom