What's new

Are Small Caliber Handguns Worth the Price?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm, we seem to have both foxes and coyotes simultaneously here on the Gulf Coast ... lethal to housecats.

And recently, large nuisance bears. Neighbor got a good video the other day. Trash-can-plunderers.

Getting more cautious with my astronomy ... terrestrial view 360 first!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This is a good video that highlights a coyotes behavior. Its not sick and its not playing. Its testing him, checking for weaknesses.

Language warning.

That yote could very easily have lunged at him and he would have been in a fight before he knew one started. Any wild animal thats belligerent like that with people needs to understand humans arent easy targets and need to be run off in fear of their lives. Imagine what may happen the next time that yote encounters a person. Now imagine there was more than one, which is also common in urban areas.

Not a fan of what the guy did; basically taught the coyote to attack people. Next one it meets might be a child.

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Not a fan of what the guy did; basically taught the coyote to attack people. Next one it meets might be a child.

AA

Yep...

I remember when there were only red foxes around where I am, no coyotes at all. Now, almost 50 years later, there are lots of coyotes and foxes are rarely seen.

A friend bow hunted deer at the end of a suburb here for 20 years. He's watched packs run deer right past his tree stand. We were goose hunting one evening and as we were picking up the decoys a half hour or so after sunset we heard a pack starting for the night. We counted 16 different yotes in that pack, 2 miles from the closest small town.

I counted 7 one night up the street from me at the Kelloggs plant that closed a few years ago and I've seen one trot right up my sidewalk late one night. We use to see a pair every night doing commercial snow removal, all in a city of 450,000.

A single coyote isnt a threat to most people, but add one or two more to make a pack and they're a considerable threat, to anyone. A friend of mine is a Kuvasz breeder. 90% of her dogs are used as defense against coyotes.

Home - Huron Kennels

Even a single Kuvasz cant handle a pack of coyotes, they need to be paired up. In pairs they're extremely effective.

CC6BA14F-8DEA-4653-8D15-3242AE436961.jpeg
In a feeble attempt to get the thread back on track.....

Small-ish caliber handguns can prove to be a valuable asset if you are a dedicated “every day carry” sort of person.
I thought of selling this Ruger/Wright Leather set up a while back, glad I didn’t.
When I need a “quick trip” pistol or I’m somewhere that concealment is paramount and I’m wearing very summer weight clothes....something like this is muy bueno.
Well worth the price of admission.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
View attachment 985620 In a feeble attempt to get the thread back on track.....

Small-ish caliber handguns can prove to be a valuable asset if you are a dedicated “every day carry” sort of person.
I thought of selling this Ruger/Wright Leather set up a while back, glad I didn’t.
When I need a “quick trip” pistol or I’m somewhere that concealment is paramount and I’m wearing very summer weight clothes....something like this is muy bueno.
Well worth the price of admission.

Great post Acme. Was running around town today on my day off taking care of a few errands. Was wearing shorts, T-shirt and some flip flops and had my wife's LCP II in my right pocket and an extra mag in my left. I thought I probably need to get another one for me. :)

Late to this conversation I know...

Caliber arguments aside, if you want a cheap 22 revolver there's always the Heritage Manufacturing Rough Rider. It's an SA but you can get both 22LR and 22WMR cylinders for it. You should be able to find one for less than $150.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Late to this conversation I know...

Caliber arguments aside, if you want a cheap 22 revolver there's always the Heritage Manufacturing Rough Rider. It's an SA but you can get both 22LR and 22WMR cylinders for it. You should be able to find one for less than $150.

I shot one of these. It's no Single Six, but surprisingly good quality for the price.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Heading back towards the topic, I've been a fan of the smaller caliber handguns for most everything short of woods, deserts and mountains.

As a generally urban or semi-suburban civilian I tend to find the ideal caliber these days for me is 32acp in semi-automatics and 32 S&W Long or 38 S&W in revolvers. The main reason I tend to prefer those is that they are extremely manageable and allow very rapid and accurate follow up shots. Also I generally get about one more round in 32acp over 380acp in the same basic size package and again, generally one more 32 S&W Long or 38 S&W in the same size revolver.

My experience has been that I tend to carry the calibers above the most, then 380. I carry 380 more than 9mm Parabellum or 38Special; 38Special more than 357, 357 more than 45acp or 45ar or 45 Colt and then 44 Special and 44 Magnum least often of all.

When I do a risk assessment snakes are the most likely threat, then perhaps coyotes followed by the two legged variety. I won't be making traffic stops, serving warrants, making arrests. I will not be going looking for an active shooter or responding to active shooter calls. If I get caught in an active shooter situation my primary responsibility would be the sphere with a radius of at most ten yards around me. If necessary I should react within that boundary but only within that boundary.

But active shooter situations are still extremely rare. Realistically my tool set needed will be controlling my emotions, being reasonable about what really is a threat, an ability to not get offended and a dose of common sense. Add in situational awareness and I should stay safe.

When I do a risk assessment snakes are the most likely threat, then perhaps coyotes followed by the two legged variety. I won't be making traffic stops, serving warrants, making arrests. I will not be going looking for an active shooter or responding to active shooter calls. If I get caught in an active shooter situation my primary responsibility would be the sphere with a radius of at most ten yards around me. If necessary I should react within that boundary but only within that boundary.
Totally agree. understanding where you are should always be the first concern. After situational awareness, accuracy and accuracy under pressure is what matters most. Even at 10 yards a .22 is a negative reinforcement when shot placement is true. So yes, small caliber handguns are worth it.

Top Bottom