What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
This is so funny description! I agree with you on Arko's scent, sir! I cannot use it for long under normal circumstances due to the scent. However, since i still have some sticks left, i reserve final judgement. I am waiting for the sticks to lose scent (i think 2 years have passed) and before using a new stick, i will unwrap it and let it outside in the wind for some weeks. They say it loses its scent. If it doesn't, all the worse for it... :lol1:
The bad news is that this stick is more than 2 years old and has been in a dip bowl for a year exposed to the elements and it still has that distinctive Arko scent when you lather

The bad news is that this stick is more than 2 years old and has been in a dip bowl for a year exposed to the elements and it still has that distinctive Arko scent when you lather

I believe you! And i am afraid that the sten...pardon me, aroma, will never fade. I bought a package of 5 or 6, i don't remember, from a german vendor. They were super fresh, because the...aroma was extremely intense. Last time i checked, i had wrapped them with kitchen wrap and the...aroma was coming through. And i put them in kitchen wrap, because previously, i had them simply in a sealed box and the...aroma would even come out of the box! I do not know their exact status right now and frankly, i don't want to. I am in no hurry to revisit them. When i do, if all fails, i will simply send them to Burundi to an old friend of mine. I send him a shaving package every year for him and a few fellow villagers. I don't know if this would be a gift or a curse, but i will throw the sticks in and...good luck to them! :ninja: This is why i always preferred to send Proraso and Palmolive to this day. I don't want for the village to get deserted!

Still in

Sunday April 11 SOTD

Gillette Rocket
Personna Red
Yaqi Two Band Badger
RR Irish Countryside

IMG-2357(1).jpg

Still in, pleasant single pass shave today.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Energizing Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- The Goodfellas' Smile Savage Shaving Soap

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- Dolce & Gabbana The One aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- 50's Gillette aluminium ball end tech
- Israeli Red (4)
- Antica Barberia Mondial Boar

Still in.

I really like the Karve. I understand why it has fanboys. I did an effortless and comfortable three pass DFS using the SB-A plate. No drama.

» Leaf w/Gillette Platinum “Blue” (6) - headshave only
» Karve SB-A w/Wizamet Super Ir (2) - cheeks, neck and goatee trim
» Zenith MC/BO3-A26 (aka B19)
» Black Bot CK-6
» Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel

I hope you all are having a great weekend!

Edit: I just had my first real twinge of want since January. I was looking up the dimensions of the the B19 and spent 30 minutes lusting after the other boars on the page. I talked myself down. I already have very nice kit and don’t need to add.

Last edited:
Still in.

I really like the Karve. I understand why it has fanboys. I did an effortless and comfortable three pass DFS using the SB-A plate. No drama.

» Leaf w/Gillette Platinum “Blue” (6) - headshave only
» Karve SB-A w/Wizamet Super Ir (2) - cheeks, neck and goatee trim
» Zenith MC/BO3-A26 (aka B19)
» Black Bot CK-6
» Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel

I hope you all are having a great weekend!

Edit: I just had my first real twinge of want since January. I was looking up the dimensions of the the B19 and spent 30 minutes lusting after the other boars on the page. I talked myself down. I already have very nice kit and don’t need to add.
That’s the GRUME spirit 😜

This is appearing more and more something like "shaveholics support therapy group!". And it works! We will all make it through the GRUME, for the pride of the GRUME and ourselves!

This is appearing more and more something like "shaveholics support therapy group!". And it works! We will all make it through the GRUME, for the pride of the GRUME and ourselves!

Well I would guess that most of us are in this GRUME because we are in need of a "shaveaholics support therapy group". Only by sticking together can we hope to beat our various acquisition disorders.

Well I would guess that most of us are in this GRUME because we are in need of a "shaveaholics support therapy group". Only by sticking together can we hope to beat our various acquisition disorders.

And we will! I aspire in passing most of it not all of this year's GRUMEs and then go for the big achievement of the GRUYERE of next year! I won't miss the enrolling to the Shave Trek of 2022!

It turns out it was the best shave of the last 3 days, although the lather i get from Lea soap is better, probably because the blade was on its 3rd use. The best Proraso shave i had in this month. It might be also that i get my best lather with the synthetics.

Last edited:
I won't miss the enrolling to the Shave Trek of 2022!

Every year the theme of the Yearly Sabbatical is different.
It's a way of keeping things interesting and members involved.

Since one year is a long time, and it quickly becomes mundane, unless it is kept interesting.

Last year's theme was a Year long race with the favorite Classic Car.
That included some trivia, commentary and members imaginative comments on their shave journey.

January 14 is the last date of entry for Yearly GRUYERE, AFAIK.

You are located in Africa, so you will be safe for most part, as most of the deals are Continental USA specific, and so are the Buy Sell Trades.

Also, this is Restraint, that will be Sabbatical.

Here it is suggested that you try to take control of the purchase, if you fail then come join again next month.

In Sabbatical, either you survive without purchase for a year, or better luck next year.

Both are fun , highly educational (at least for me), and the company is excellent.

If I may suggest, you can head over to the Hall of Fame page, and tell us more about yourself.

Every year the theme of the Yearly Sabbatical is different.
It's a way of keeping things interesting and members involved.

Since one year is a long time, and it quickly becomes mundane, unless it is kept interesting.

Last year's theme was a Year long race with the favorite Classic Car.
That included some trivia, commentary and members imaginative comments on their shave journey.

January 14 is the last date of entry for Yearly GRUYERE, AFAIK.

You are located in Africa, so you will be safe for most part, as most of the deals are Continental USA specific, and so are the Buy Sell Trades.

Also, this is Restraint, that will be Sabbatical.

Here it is suggested that you try to take control of the purchase, if you fail then come join again next month.

In Sabbatical, either you survive without purchase for a year, or better luck next year.

Both are fun , highly educational (at least for me), and the company is excellent.

If I may suggest, you can head over to the Hall of Fame page, and tell us more about yourself.

Ah, i see! So no Shave Trek next year! A shame, since i like Star Trek! Well, who knows, maybe i will like the next year's theme too. At any rate, i should join it, because i have no need to purchase anything aside from aftershave. I will keep in mind the January 14 date! Thank you, this will be important, so that i can actively seek the thread! Sabbatical is fine for me. I will just stock up aftershave before January 14 and i will be ready!

I am Burundian, but i am located in Europe for many years now. I updated my profile to show at least that, in order to avoid misunderstandings. But i am always an African at heart. Do not worry, i have no intention to do any trading anyway, so i don't even look in that part of the forum. I thank you, but i prefer my privacy and no need for me to be in Halls of Fame. I have already written in various parts of the forum, things about me that are more than enough. It is better to leave it that way, i am having more fun as things are as they are! I am simply the Burundian Hawk, which is what makes me most happy and that is enough for me and all i want to be in here! :laugh:

Mike M

I believe you! And i am afraid that the sten...pardon me, aroma, will never fade. I bought a package of 5 or 6, i don't remember, from a german vendor. They were super fresh, because the...aroma was extremely intense. Last time i checked, i had wrapped them with kitchen wrap and the...aroma was coming through. And i put them in kitchen wrap, because previously, i had them simply in a sealed box and the...aroma would even come out of the box! I do not know their exact status right now and frankly, i don't want to. I am in no hurry to revisit them. When i do, if all fails, i will simply send them to Burundi to an old friend of mine. I send him a shaving package every year for him and a few fellow villagers. I don't know if this would be a gift or a curse, but i will throw the sticks in and...good luck to them! :ninja: This is why i always preferred to send Proraso and Palmolive to this day. I don't want for the village to get deserted!
I thought you said he was an old friend of yours, why would you want to send him Arko?
If you want to get rid of it do what everyone else does, put them in a 55 gallon drum, fill.it with concrete and bury it as deep as you can, or...send it to @FarmerTan who for some unknown reason actually likes the smell

Mike M

Still in
IMG_20210411_213815.jpg

Tonight I fancied an effortless BBS so I broke out the R41/Astra SS (11) combo. For the soap I went with Fine Lavender Pour Homme lathered with the Yaqi lucky dice as I wanted something a bit summery.
I love the Fine hard soap but the trick seems to be getting the right amount of water, which is not much with this soap. Tonight it all came together just right which I think I deserve after last night's Arko disaster. The soap was slick and protective and it was effortless getting a BBS finish with the R41. No irritation a full 10/10 for tonight.

Top Bottom