What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in
IMG_20210409_183543.jpg

Tonight's shave combo was the Ming-shi 2000/Astra SP (3). For the lather I used Proraso wood & spice (now my favourite Proraso scent) and the Yaqi Timberwolf. They produced a great lather with a strong scent that lingers on the skin even after they are washed off.
The Ming-shi 2000 razor is an excellent adjustable razor and always gives me a good close shave. I usually start WTG on 6, then XTG on 4.5 and ATG on 3 with a final neck touch up on 6. Tonight's shave was a comfortable one with a BBS finish and no irritation.

Well, I'm out too. I had been eagerly anticipating the re-release of Declaration Grooming unscented Liniment and couldn't help but grab a couple of. Next month!
"And another one gone and another one gone,
Another one bites the dust"

If it's a soap that you know you love, it's hard to blame you! Feel free to continue playing along at home for the rest of the month and we'll hope to see you in May.

And when yet another brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @‘Bout Time
3) @B_R_A_D
4) @henrickd - GRUYERE
5) @SharpieB
6) @Doti B
7) @Stuart Ganis
8) @Chef455
9) @Roedeer
10) @Cino
11) @Herrenberg
12) @CzechCzar
13) @Timeclo
14) @La Malice
15) @Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
16) @pdieten - GRUYERE
17) @hopper_64
18) Schnitzel52 - out (4/5: Zenith/IB brush)
19) Trollky - out (4/9: Merkur 34G)
20) Bravoure - out (4/9: Declaration Grooming soaps)
21) @Owen Bawn
22) @Abz88
23) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
24) @Tomo
25) @Kyle89
26) @wmadoty - GRUYERE - AFFCC
27) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
28) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
29) @Mike M
30) @sarir97
31) @nelsonic21
32) @bluesman 7
33) @4and20blackbirds
34) @FL shaver
35) @Burundian Hawk

I’m still in, I think? Was suffering from some irritation despite my usual prep, so purchased a Proraso pre-shave cream to see if it would remedy?
Sir, in the GRUMEs, we believe in self-reflection. This is your call to make. Consider these rules:

1.a. If you were in the March GRUME, 4/1 is your restock date for any needed product (i.e., it's not an excuse for treewhaling).
1.b. If you were not in the March GRUME, you do not get a restock date in April; plan ahead and see Rule 1.c., below.
1.c. Members should have the necessary supplies to last the duration of the Restraint, but this is a Restraint, not a Sabbatical. If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced.
6. If you have to ask, it probably will put you out. That said, this is a Gentlemanly Restraint - use your own best judgement to self-assess based on the rules above.

Now...was your purchase necessary?

If it's a soap that you know you love, it's hard to blame you! Feel free to continue playing along at home for the rest of the month and we'll hope to see you in May.

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @‘Bout Time
3) @B_R_A_D
4) @henrickd - GRUYERE
5) @SharpieB
6) @Doti B
7) @Stuart Ganis
8) @Chef455
9) @Roedeer
10) @Cino
11) @Herrenberg
12) @CzechCzar
13) @Timeclo
14) @La Malice
16) @pdieten - GRUYERE
17) @hopper_64
21) @Owen Bawn
22) @Abz88
23) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
24) @Tomo
25) @Kyle89
27) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
28) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
29) @Mike M
30) @sarir97
31) @nelsonic21
32) @bluesman 7
33) @4and20blackbirds
34) @FL shaver
35) @Burundian Hawk
Strangely 3 in a row from this list. Hmmm..... Is @Owen Bawn next? 😜

Still in.

Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium Solid Bar
Blade: Super-Max Diamond Edge Super Platinum (2)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Neptune Hurricane” with 26mm Thäter 2-Band Silvertip (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Lather: Ariana & Evans St. Barts
Post-shave:
• Omega Alum Stick
• Ariana & Evans St Barts Aftershave Splash

10 / 10, two pass shave that not only felt fantastic but smelled even better. Was mostly BBS, but I missed a small spot along my jaw that I didn’t notice until I was applying AS. No cuts, irritation or other issues. Both Kaizen base and their splash with skin food left my face feeling amazing. Diamond Edge blade excelled again.

B656DD68-3F6D-4C42-8A2E-72C2E2961923.jpeg

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S R3, Astra SP #1
Post-shave: Hyaluronic acid, Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Deep-cleaned the Rockwell, and it came up looking like new. I think soap residue sticks more to matte finish steel than polished.

Got the usual easy DFS result with it.

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @‘Bout Time
3) @B_R_A_D
4) @henrickd - GRUYERE
5) @SharpieB
6) @Doti B
7) @Stuart Ganis
8) @Chef455
9) @Roedeer
10) @Cino
11) @Herrenberg
12) @CzechCzar
13) @Timeclo
14) @La Malice
16) @pdieten - GRUYERE
17) @hopper_64
21) @Owen Bawn
22) @Abz88
23) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
24) @Tomo
25) @Kyle89
27) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
28) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
29) @Mike M
30) @sarir97
31) @nelsonic21
32) @bluesman 7
33) @4and20blackbirds
34) @FL shaver
35) @Burundian Hawk
It was aftershave balm, not soap. Was in need of new unscented balm after I was out of my last. I don't enjoy using scented balm every time.

Still in.
Last shave? Let's see.....last night before bed after a shower. I found I'd run out of bath soap and went digging around in the drawer for a replacement; found only a Duke Cannon Big you-know-what Productivity bar. Fresh energizing mint. Not what I wanted before bed, but okay fine. And it was indeed fresh and energizing. Menthol. So, of course, that called for the tea tree-peppermint shampoo and, after I dried off, the Proraso Green shaving cream. Went on with one of my mixed-hair brushes and shaved off with the Slim loaded with a well-used but still sharp Spoiler, and finished with Sea Breeze.

Thus energized, I went to bed and passed out cold in two minutes.

Still in
View attachment 1249081
Tonight's shave combo was the Ming-shi 2000/Astra SP (3). For the lather I used Proraso wood & spice (now my favourite Proraso scent) and the Yaqi Timberwolf. They produced a great lather with a strong scent that lingers on the skin even after they are washed off.
The Ming-shi 2000 razor is an excellent adjustable razor and always gives me a good close shave. I usually start WTG on 6, then XTG on 4.5 and ATG on 3 with a final neck touch up on 6. Tonight's shave was a comfortable one with a BBS finish and no irritation.
Wait, Wood & Spice comes in a tube like that??? Pretending I didn't see that...

Top Bottom