What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in, no shave today but survived a trip to the barber without picking up and shaving gear or fragrances.

This is what met me on arrival! (with fragrances around the corner)

20210410_152046.jpg

Still in, no shave today but survived a trip to the barber without picking up and shaving gear or fragrances.

View attachment 1249456

We should institute special GRUME awards for gentlemen that show exquisite valor in battle! A GRUME medal of honor if you want! Resisting the temptation from home is one thing. But being able to resist within a meter from it! Hats off, to you, sir!

We should institute special GRUME awards for gentlemen that show exquisite valor in battle! A GRUME medal of honor if you want! Resisting the temptation from home is one thing. But being able to resist within a meter from it! Hats off, to you, sir!
Haha truth!!! I'm sure most of us would have an easier time not buying anything off of Pasteur's website versus walking down isles jam packed with goodies at great prices.

Still in.

Kamisori shave#10
Feather Pro Guard blade #10 (binned)

Today I felt like splurging, and I brought up the Big Bess and let her in the room with Tabac Original.

Together they made a wonderful lather, good enough for my 2 Pass + touch up shave.

DFS + shave

I've learnt that fir me, Feather Pro Guard blade lasts for 8 shave, 9 was a stretch, and 10th shave was disrespectful.

Aftershave provided some feedback, no cuts or weepers, and this concludes the Feather Pro Guard blade shave.

I'll be using the Feather Professional blades in next shaves.

Ps: Not the Feather Professional Super blades, I haven't lost my mind yet.
I think so.

IMG_20210410_222629.jpg

Haha truth!!! I'm sure most of us would have an easier time not buying anything off of Pasteur's website versus walking down isles jam packed with goodies at great prices.

I have seen photos of your Pasteur's shop... I wouldn't last a second inside there. Here the only real temptation is only websites. If i had a Pasteur's where i could actually walk in, there is no GRUME that could save me... You are heroes, gentlemen! Heroes! :ouch1:

This was my 2nd shave with this brush. I must say, it has exceeded my expectation for a €5 chinese brush. The tips are prickly, but less so than famous brands pure badger brushes that i paid much more. And it behaves more like a low grade silvertip, in the sense that it has low backbone and the hair is thin and flexible. But it is not a "mop". I honestly bought it because the handle is actually resin, it turns out it is much better than i thought. It was a happy shave.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.

View attachment 1249456
My barber doesn't have a display even remotely that attractive, but I am still dreading them.opening up again because I pass it every week day and his display is in the window

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in
IMG_20210410_212206.jpg

Hadn't used the Wilkinson Sword New Classic TTO in a while so I combined it with the Astra SP(3). Tonight's soap was Arko stick pressed into a dip bowl (another soap on my 3017 list).
The brush is a bit of a lather hog, but as far as I am concerned that is all the more reason to use it on this soap. Don't get me wrong this is a nice slick soap, but I have to plead with urinal puck manufacturers not to rip off the Arko scent, just once I would like to smell a urinal puck that was "inspired by Creed Adventus"
The shave was definitely not outstanding and was maybe a DFS- I partly blame the Arko for that because it made me think I was shaving in a pub toilet and let's face it, if anything is going to put you off a shave it's that, or maybe shaving with a broken bottle, no, still the pub toilet thing. Finally.i picked out my strongest aftershave to try and get me over the smell of Arko.

Still in.

Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium Scalloped
Blade: Super-Max Diamond Edge Super Platinum (3)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Empress - EVO Deluxe” with 26mm High Mountain White (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Lather: Ariana & Evans SoCal Hipster
Post-shave:
Omega Alum Stick
• Ariana & Evans SoCal Hipster Aftershave Splash
• Barrister and Mann Unscented Aftershave Balm

Result:
10 / 10
Another fantastic two pass shave with no cuts, weepers or irritation. Oh boy does SoCal Hipster smell incredible, one of my favourite scents. The High Mountain White bulb knot feels very soft and luxurious and has just enough backbone that it isn’t floppy but I don’t think it has very good flow through and I have to load way heavier then with my other knots.

67CB5C7B-72FA-44B2-8631-DF14C7BB8F67.jpeg

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84 OC, Boots #2, GC.68 SB, Astra SP #2.
Post-shave: Hyaluronic acid, Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Got a bit of user error under my nose, with the open comb. First styptic of the year. A good result apart from that — near-BBS face, DFS neck.

Still in. After a couple of great weeks with a stainless Timeless .68 and .95 I have been getting some rough shaves from the FOCS.

Saturday shave

8840F1D1-FF89-4EE3-9D8C-49579977B303.jpeg

Prep: Noxzema
Soap: Southern Witchcrafts Lycanthropy
Brush: Simpson Astor A1 in Best
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto, #3
Blade: Kai Stainless, #3 and binned
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Dickinson's Witch Hazel and Florida Water mixed in hand and splashed on

Two-passes for DFS everywhere but a small patch on my Adam's Apple which was CCS. Less feedback from the alum tonight, but once again this was not a comfortable shave and my face is still feeling raw, albeit mostly smooth.

Still in
View attachment 1249628
Hadn't used the Wilkinson Sword New Classic TTO in a while so I combined it with the Astra SP(3). Tonight's soap was Arko stick pressed into a dip bowl (another soap on my 3017 list).
The brush is a bit of a lather hog, but as far as I am concerned that is all the more reason to use it on this soap. Don't get me wrong this is a nice slick soap, but I have to plead with urinal puck manufacturers not to rip off the Arko scent, just once I would like to smell a urinal puck that was "inspired by Creed Adventus"
The shave was definitely not outstanding and was maybe a DFS- I partly blame the Arko for that because it made me think I was shaving in a pub toilet and let's face it, if anything is going to put you off a shave it's that, or maybe shaving with a broken bottle, no, still the pub toilet thing. Finally.i picked out my strongest aftershave to try and get me over the smell of Arko.

This is so funny description! I agree with you on Arko's scent, sir! I cannot use it for long under normal circumstances due to the scent. However, since i still have some sticks left, i reserve final judgement. I am waiting for the sticks to lose scent (i think 2 years have passed) and before using a new stick, i will unwrap it and let it outside in the wind for some weeks. They say it loses its scent. If it doesn't, all the worse for it... :lol1:

Last edited:
Still in
Pre-shave Proraso Green shaving cream and hot water
Lather Proraso Green
Razor 1950s Gillette Flare tip Rocket
Brush Wilkinson sword classic
Blade Tiger Platinum (3)
Bowl Anbbas
Post-shave Hot & cold water, Alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food
Results Bbs face, dfs neck, no cuts or irritation minimal Alum block feedback.
20210411_080950.jpg

After the last couple of quick shaves with a shave stick it feels great to be able to take my time. The Rocket was a treat to use as always, as was the bowl of Proraso lathered with the Wilkinson brush.
20210411_081617.jpg

I'm definitely finding bowl lathering easier with this brush. With the Anbbas Synthetic it tends to come out on the thin side.
20210411_081600.jpg
This has been a good shave which has temporarily quashed my urges to aquire more stuff.

Top Bottom