What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in
Finally decided on the following or tonight’s shave.

Brush: Omega S-Brush
Razor: Rockwell 6C (3)
Blade: PermSharp Super(3)
Soap: D R Harris Windsor
Post Shave: Alum Block
D R Harris Windsor AS Splash
Nivea Protect & Care ASB

Once again a nice BBS shave no nicks or cuts. Very minimal sting from alum or AS splash.
Took my time with no interruptions. Love my Rockwell’s (6C & 6S) 😎😎😎

I thought you said he was an old friend of yours, why would you want to send him Arko?
If you want to get rid of it do what everyone else does, put them in a 55 gallon drum, fill.it with concrete and bury it as deep as you can, or...send it to @FarmerTan who for some unknown reason actually likes the smell

Yes, boyhood old friend! Which is why i haven't sent him Arko to this day! So you are right! :lol: But, after all, i send a pretty large box every year in Burundi. So, throwing them in won't cost me much more. I will probably include a fair warning: "Shaving soap, but not for the faint of heart. Do not inhale deeply. Do not give it to the elders! Possible alternative use against mosquitos". After all, in Burundi mosquitos are common, because of lake Tanganyika, one of the biggest african lakes! If all fails, they can use Arko to repel mosquitos or trade it for something else. In rural Burundi areas, something like Arko can be seen as luxury product or... as an exotic mosquito repellant, which is most welcome! And i am not kidding!

To be fair to Arko. The few shaves i had with it, the lather was very good. Albeit a bit drying. But the lather was spectacular for such a cheap soap! However, each man has his own nose. To me, unfortunately, Arko's aroma is more complex than for most people. It has high and bottom notes. The high notes are what in Europe is called "savon de Marseille". A very traditional soap that comes also as laundry detergent. The scent is ok for me. BUT, then comes the worst part. Arko to me has also the bottom notes of lemony urinal puck and citronella. And the bottom notes are what ruin it for me.

Still in

Razor: Fatip lo Storto OC
Blade: Personna Red (9)
Brush: Proraso Professional (Omega) Boar
Soap: Razorock Irish Countryside
Aftershave: La Toja

IMG-2365.jpg

Still in.

Kamisori shave #11
Feather Professional blade #1

2 Pass + touch up BBS
Freaking bloodbath!

I took a gap yesterday to allow some stubble growth for the new blade.

I got an excellent 1st pass with no cuts, just an odd weeper.

By the 2nd pass, I noticed several weepers around chin and jaw line.

Culprit was slightly more pressure, which in turn was the result of the extended use of Pro Guard blade.
I should have discarded it after 8th shave, but since I didn't know any better, I used it till 10 shave.

By the end of 2nd pass, my upper lip got in the way of the razor and received a vertical cut for it's trouble.

It was after many months that I received a cut, and also since I let out some obscenities.

I went for BBS, because what was left to happen?
I already got a cut, weepers, and there was droplets of blood everywhere.

So, after finishing up the shave, I prepared myself for the final torture - the Old Spice after shave.

I don't want to go into details, but the experience was something otherworldly, painful but necessary.

The irritation was short lived, and I didn't do too bad.

Anherb ASC helped me to soothe the shaved area, and thus ended today's adventure with the Feather Professional blade.

I'm already looking forward to the next shave, armed with even more determination, and today's experience, I'm sure it'll be a better shave next time.

IMG_20210412_210103.jpg

Every year the theme of the Yearly Sabbatical is different...

January 14 is the last date of entry for Yearly GRUYERE, AFAIK...
A slight correction on the GRUYERE dates, based on the current rules. It's still a long way to January, but just remember January 1 is the start date for those that are new participants.

Only if you successfully completed the previous year, you have a two week replenishment period at the start of the next year. That means you can join the yearly sabbatical up to Jan 14.

However, if you are a new participant, you must join prior to Jan 1. There is no replenishment period in this case.

A slight correction on the GRUYERE dates, based on the current rules. It's still a long way to January, but just remember January 1 is the start date for those that are new participants.

Only if you successfully completed the previous year, you have a two week replenishment period at the start of the next year. That means you can join the yearly sabbatical up to Jan 14.

However, if you are a new participant, you must join prior to Jan 1. There is no replenishment period in this case.

Oh yeah, good catch!

Somehow that January 14th stuck with me, thanks for the correction.

A ha! So i must restock in December and enroll before Jan 1. Alright! Even easier to remember! I hope it comes with a theme i like though! I really don't like classic cars theme. Star Trek is much better.

Also of note is that GRUME participants get a pass for part of the December GRUME if they are participating in, and stocking up for, the Annual Sabbatical. :)

Also of note is that GRUME participants get a pass for part of the December GRUME if they are participating in, and stocking up for, the Annual Sabbatical. :)

Oh, so you can be both in December's GRUME, but also have a, let us say, period of grace, to be able to restock before the GRUYERE?! You have really thought of all this well, haven't you! Like coordination between GRUMEs and GRUYEREs! I like it!

I am a bit confused as to how restocking works. For instance, IF i decide to make a small purchase of say, few soaps, can i do it on May 1st? And then join the May GRUME? Or not?
Restocking is for getting more of what you need. For instance, I use Lucky Tiger Face Tonic after every shave and I was about to run out. I bought more on February 1, which was the restock date for those rolling from the January GRUME into the February GRUME. If you're buying more soap because you want more soap, that's not actually restocking - that's stocking up.

Maybe this will help:
Have what you need and use what you have: that is our definition of "Restraint".
1.c. Members should have the necessary supplies to last the duration of the Restraint, but this is a Restraint, not a Sabbatical. If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced.

Our emphasis is on need versus want, using what you already have rather than buying more on top of your current stock.

Restocking is for getting more of what you need. For instance, I use Lucky Tiger Face Tonic after every shave and I was about to run out. I bought more on February 1, which was the restock date for those rolling from the January GRUME into the February GRUME. If you're buying more soap because you want more soap, that's not actually restocking - that's stocking up.

Maybe this will help:

Our emphasis is on need versus want, using what you already have rather than buying more on top of your current stock.

I see. Yes, i don't really need any soap. But then, one thing i don't understand. Why call it "April" restraint? And not April-December restraint? Wait! I think now i understand. Because if someone wants to stock up, he simply doesn't join the May GRUME, but can come back to the June GRUME. Correct?

Top Bottom