What's new

Aotearoa (NZ) Pass-around

I got The Box today. It's almost heading into suitcase territory! It took me a good 20 minutes just to scan through everything in there.
Quick check on the rules please @Uncle Brian: is there anything that needs to stay in the box? I think I read the straight razor stays for example.
This time I have decided that everything is up for grabs, there might be a note in the box that indicates otherwise but that's only because I didn't find the silly note and destroy it :)

This time I have decided that everything is up for grabs, there might be a note in the box that indicates otherwise but that's only because I didn't find the silly note and destroy it :)
Excellent! I just started using a SR last weekend so I'm in for that.
I'll put a fatip slant in there to replace it and a few other things.
Also that Arko stinks!

I had thought the comments were kind of a joke, but they really aren't. Even an hour after washing it off my hands I could still smell it. :001_07:

The Arko in the box is not new and so has lost some of its scent, when you first unwrap a new stick it's worse!
Once you have shaved with it the smell lasts all day, which is not the best.
Some folks love it and so I put it down to being a 'Turkish thing' that I will never understand. Derby make something similar !

Box received! My god it's getting bigger each time. I'll open her up tonight and have a good rummage. Cheers chaps

If anyone has some ideas on how to reduce the size of the box and improve the overall experience then I would love to hear them?
Perhaps a cull of some of the soaps? There are a few soaps in there which seem to have lost their scent and just smell like tallow to me. The old Stirling soap must be years old as they have not been using a metal tin for a while.

Keep the arko though, everyone should learn that scent. So they know to leave it alone.
Kind of like a public safety message.

Thanks for the feedback, guess i need to do a cleanup before the next round ... If anyone finds something in the box that has gone off then chuck it in the bin please :)

I've had a really good try of a lot of the box.... there's some old favourites and a few new ones that were really a pleasure to try - amazed there's always something new that surprises me. Will have to have a think about which one to hold onto.

Will be passing it on this week. Gabor (I think you're next?) PM incomming!

Will do a proper write up of my favourites as well.

Thanks Brian - awesome round as usual.

Welcome to madness :)

Me - Tauranga
Ian_pop - Tauranga
JaggardJ - Wellington
Grue - New Plymouth
Gabor - Auckland
silverlifter - Wellington
Odax Pullus - Wellington

Hi I wanted to finally add my thanks and apologies.

Firstly, sorry I sat on it, life got a bit overwhelming for me for a while.

Thanks for the box, it was a good experience for me, and probably in the opposite way I intended. In the end I tried a few things early on, but being less than a year in to the hobby, it helped me to actually learn to stop fiddling and dial in on what I have. I have skin that gets red and irritated, and had a 34c razor when I started and got a Fatip Open Comb slant not long before the box arrived. I've found that using a sharp blade with that gives me great results in 2 passes, so I 've ordered 100 Nacet blades and am sitting on them.

So when I finally passed the box on I kept nothing and added some blades. The milder ones that I have moved on from (I had a list but can't find it) and I think I put in some Nacets and Astra super Stainless which are the ones I am sticking with.

Oh, and I love the smell of Arko :)

All the best
Ian

I really enjoyed the box again this time around, I'm thinking it helps not to try absolutely EVERYTHING in there!

Some old favorites and some new things to try. The ones that stuck in my head that were worthy of a comment:

Arko: Not as strong as i remember, maybe it's growing on me, or maybe it's just 'aging' nicely and reducing in strength. Reminds me of going to work in the Middle East. Was almost tempted to keep hold of it.... maybe next time around.

Mystic Water - Irish Traveller: Really enjoyed the scent, but couldn't get it thick enough to give really good protection. Wanted to go back to it for a second attempt but never got around to it.

Black Ship - Hoptoberfest: Was rather excited about this one. The scent.... lovely. I really enjoy refreshing strong scented soaps, but where's the hops?! Invigorating citrus, pear.... light, creamy, good protection.... but why call it 'Hoptoberfest' if you're going to wimp out on the hops? Still, really nice soap.

Dr.Harris - Eucalyptus: Loved the smell in the pot. I'd have liked it to be stronger scented and more cooling on the face. Still, very enjoyable. If was mine would be tempted to pop a bit of menthol into it to give it a kick.

Dr.Jon's - PROPOGANDA!: 2nd time around on this one, and still good. Like it a lot. Hard soap though, would love if it was softer.

Cold River Soap Works - Oliva: Put this one on the to try pile as a bit of a 'meh, not too impressed with the smell in the pot, but i'll give it a go' type deal. Smells very different on the face, and the protection was amazing. Thick, creamy - face felt great afterwards. I'll be checking out more of their soaps.

L'Oreal - Beard and Face Moisturiser: A bit mainstream brand wise to what we normally see, but still, rather nice. Couldn't quite place the scent, but subtle and works very well.

Slant Razor: That was a bit of fun. Not aggressive enough for me, but felt very safe and gave a lovely soft shave. Nice to try something different.

Thanks as always guys, and Brian for organizing this. I didn't take anything this time around, but still, a good time was had!

Guys. The box is with me, arrived safely, thanks to the multiple layers of sticky tape all around :)

20220203_120411.jpg

It's a bit overwhelming, don't even know where to start, but I'll figure it out. Definitely the best smelling parcel I've ever got :)

OK. I just dug in and found the inks. Wife asked, what's that, I said inks for fountain pens. She said oh, nice, but how can we try them, we dont have fountain pens - her face when I reached in for the pen holder and opened it and showed her.

Now she is opening all the soaps and putting them in order for me, I'm going through the hardware (what a selection!).
Whomever put the fatip slant there, can obviously read minds. Also the box of assorted razors and heads and the cutest little green box with the ladies travel razor...

I need a system.

(and btw, I'm going to replace all the biodegradable packaging material if you don't mind, they tend to just disintegrate suddenly)

Top Bottom