What's new

Anyone else stuck on vintage video game consoles?

Another old computer game that was a lot of fun was Zork. No graphics or anything. You'd enter a room and receive a description of what was in the room. My favorite room had nothing but a bucket sitting in the middle of the floor. The game wouldn't allow you to move it, pick it up, or anything. Finally, we got frustrated and typed in "Kick the bucket." The game then announced "You have died.":lol::lol:That game was a trip!:thumbup1:

I love those old adventure games where you had to type in your actions. Does anyone else remember the Quest for Glory games? The writing was absolutely fantastic.

And of course the original dungeon exploring game, Rogue. I have no idea how many hours I sat playing that one.

Those old games wouldn't run on a modern PC, I bet.

Rogue actually spawned it's own genre. There are many games based on it's principals. They always get low scores from reviewers though for being "too hard." Buncha babies :glare:

I still think the ColecoVision I got when I was a teenager is awesome.

I was in college when Mario 3 for the NES came out and beat that thing no whistles.

Right now, I have a couple of hundred classic arcade games on my computer with the MAME emulator. Now, that thing is cool.

proxy.php

anyone remember these?

I loved my Nintendo. Playing Kung-Fu against my Dad. And the usual favs of that era. I then got a Dreamcast and while the graphics were outstanding they never had all that many games for it. Resident Evil was my fav for that console. My PS3 is my new addiction. Just got finished with Red Dead Redemtion, if you havent played it i highly recommend it.

I'm just pissed that the price of a Sega Saturn doubled as soon as I managed to gain a copy of Radiant Silvergun for waaaay below the standard 'bay price. The Action Replay devices all vanished too...

To this day, I still play SNES games once or twice a month-my console has been long dead, but the emulator lives on. It was the only system I had growing up, but the games are still the best and bring back a flood of memories.

Donkey Kong Country? :thumbup1:
Super Mario World? Epic.
And of course....A Link to the Past. 2nd best game ever made IMO.

I picked up one of these at a garage sale yesterday. Only gave $10 for the console, 2 controllers, 3 memory cards, 1 rumble pack, and 13 games that actually work. The graphics are pretty cool considering the age of the system.

Consider it whatever you like, that doesn't change it. NAMCO came out with a combination Ms.PacMan/Galaga a few years ago. Other companies could do the same at any time.

Meh. If wishes were fishes we'd all eat for days. :lol:

Companies tend to invest in things that will turn a profit. Old console games would be a niche market, at best.

Plus, not everybody owns a TV.

I would probably refrain from linking to emulation sites. Not only is it a legal gray-area, but many of those sites are infested with malware.

Fear not, I linked to a reputable one.

If you gents still own these old computer games and can somehow get them off of the 3 1/4 inch floppy disks (or the older 5-inch ones,) then the program Dosbox can run them on a newer system. It's kind of a pain to set up though.

I second that; DOSbox is a gem for older PC games! :001_smile

I started playing the Atari 2600, then the NES (high school), the PS1 (college), PS2, Xbox.

I now have a Wii, and an XBox 360. I think I've put more hours into the 360 than all of the others combined. I'm not nostalgic for the old games. I never stayed up all night playing an NES game, but there have been several 360 games that have kept me from sleep for many nights in a row. Bioshock, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Gears of War.

I would argue that we are now in the golden age of video games. Games today have transcended the genre and have become interactive movies. Never before in the history of video gaming have games been more immersive. Add to that the dynamic of online play (I've lost many hours of my life to MW2 online), and I wouldn't go back for the world!

I would argue that we are now in the golden age of video games. Games today have transcended the genre and have become interactive movies. Never before in the history of video gaming have games been more immersive. Add to that the dynamic of online play (I've lost many hours of my life to MW2 online), and I wouldn't go back for the world!

I'll counter your argument and say that game consoles today have made people even more apathetic than a few generations ago. I'm guilty of spending countless hours playing games but at the end of the day nothing has been gained from it. when I have kids they won't be allowed to sit on their butts and play games all day - they'll either have to play some sport or read a book. just sayin'

I started playing the Atari 2600, then the NES (high school), the PS1 (college), PS2, Xbox.

I now have a Wii, and an XBox 360. I think I've put more hours into the 360 than all of the others combined. I'm not nostalgic for the old games. I never stayed up all night playing an NES game, but there have been several 360 games that have kept me from sleep for many nights in a row. Bioshock, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Gears of War.

I would argue that the interactive movie angle is both a gift and a curse. While many of those games you mentioned (Oblivion and Bioshock in particular) have done this well, it has caused the industry as a whole to sacrifice every other aspect of the games for the graphics. It really depends on the developer. While I seriously got chills playing Call of Duty 4, the 15 hour intro to Final Fantasy 13 which consists of holding up and pushing X is nothing short of ridiculous. The "it get's better later" excuse does not hold water after 3 hour mark. I reaaaaaly hate the direction Square-Enix has gone into.

To that end, I've been voting with my wallet and buying almost exclusively from Atlus.

I have used NES/SNES/Genesis/GBA emulators in the past. This past winter in fact I played a good amount of Ninja Gaiden for the NES on my macbook pro. It's strange and beautiful to see those pixels so crisp on such a high-tech machine.

I too still have my old NES and SNES consoles. Break them out every now and then. Wish I still had my old Atari!

1980's Atari

2010 Plasma big screen

When combined will unleash forces not seen outside of the Large Hadron Collider!:w00t:

Loved Xaxon and Venture on the ColecoVision. I have downloaded a number of old nes and snes games for virtual console on the Wii. My dad has my old nes at home and still plays Dragon Warrior IV and Final Fantasy.

Oh I almost forgot, Bionic Commando on the NES, fond memories of watching Hitler's head explode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom