What's new

Anyone else stuck on vintage video game consoles?

:yikes: SEGA!!!!

My passion, my obsession before dating.....after that I had no money to buy video games :ladysman:

proxy.php
1995 Store Champion? The girls should be paying to take YOU out!!! :thumbup1:

16-bit was, in my opinion, the golden age of videos games. That said, I was never that into the Sega Genesis. For the most part, it sat on my shelf, unused, while I played the heck out of my SNES. The only time the Genesis took precedence was when the original Mortal Kombat came out and the Genesis version had a cheat code for blood, whereas the SNES version did not.

Some of my favorite games from the SNES days: Final Fantasy II, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III (still my favorite FF game), Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (still my favorite Zelda game), Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid, the NBA Jam series and a lot of other games that I can't think of at the moment. I still play some of them via ROMs. My brother has my old SNES, which he still plays.

I used to buy my games at Toys 'R Us. There was a big wall at the back of the store with all of the games displayed and each game had a heap of slips of paper underneath it and when you wanted one of the games, you'd pull off a slip of paper, take it to the front of the store, pay for it at the register and then go up to this guy who sat in a big glass booth will all of the games arrayed in it. You'd hand the guy your slip of paper and he'd go back, rummage around and find the game you wanted, hand it to you through the window and there it was in all its glory - a rectangular, paper box with an illustration on the cover and pictures of the game on the back. I always thought how wonderful it must be to be that guy in that big, magical booth with rows and rows and stacks and stacks of video games in it. It was like having access to countless undiscovered worlds all around you.

And then I grew up and the games got serious. Now they're all about graphics. I enjoy a lot of the present generation games, but they're not as terrific as they were in days of yore.

You practically read my mind with this. I even remember that section of Toys R Us!

I did play my Genesis more though, because along with those mentioned RPG's on the SNES, I loooove the side-scrolling shooters which were mainly on the Genesis. In particular: Gunstar Heroes, Thunder Force 3-4, Ristar, Vectorman, Contra: Hard Corps, and the absolute acid-trip that was Dynamite Headdy. Oddly enough, that system was also home to the first RTS game (Dune: The Battle for Arrakis) which I used to play for hours.

I still have piles and boxes full of old games. So many of the games for modern systems are just not fun anymore. They are beautiful to look at, but not much else.

I bought my first NES when I was about 6, using pennies and quarters that I had saved up over the year. I remember playing the mess out of Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link...the gold cartridge. :thumbup1:

As I grew up, so did my consoles. I got a PS1 in '94, and then the PS2 whenever it came out. I ended up getting a Game Cube in 2003, but only played Animal Crossing on it.

A few years ago, my longing for the 8-bit days of yore got the better of me when I found a NES system at a local thrift store. I snatched it up and began hunting down my favorite games from 20 years ago.

I now own a Wii (which I seldom play), an XBOX 360, a slim PS2, and 2 NES consoles (one of which doesn't work).

While I do enjoy the Grand Theft Autos and the Resident Evils, there is just something about blowing on a cartridge and wiggling it to get it to work that keeps my heart firmly attached to the Original NES.

While I do enjoy the Grand Theft Autos and the Resident Evils, there is just something about blowing on a cartridge and wiggling it to get it to work that keeps my heart firmly attached to the Original NES.

the thing I dislike about the new generation of consoles is that they've proven unreliable. with the old Nintendo systems you simply inserted a cartridge game and you were done. i'm surprised someone doesn't redevelop a 16-bit console for those of us that appreciate older technology. I have a feeling if someone did it would be a smash hit

the thing I dislike about the new generation of consoles is that they've proven unreliable. with the old Nintendo systems you simply inserted a cartridge game and you were done. i'm surprised someone doesn't redevelop a 16-bit console for those of us that appreciate older technology. I have a feeling if someone did it would be a smash hit

The new systems are powerful computers, and computers in general have their share of problems, drive failures, load times, and software glitches, but with all due respect, the Nintendo systems have had their share of problems. Does anyone remember having to blow on cartridges or clean the contacts? Did you ever know a kid who had to jam something into his Nintendo to get the cartridge to sit in the right spot? Have you tried to play any of those old games today, only to find that the battery in the cartridge that powered the tiny memory chip has failed? Did you ever have to throw away a cartridge because you spilled something sticky on it? Did you ever have to leave your console on for a week just to reach the end of Rygar only to have your mom turn it off while you were out of the house? Every system has had its issues.

If 16 bit is your thing, you can buy a 1000 in one stand up or cocktail arcade machine, and it will have all the great games you remember, and many that you don't. You can also get an emulator for your computer and a USB compatible controller. You can find clones of classic controllers. They also sold Super Nintendos and Sega Genesis by the truckload. They are easy to find on Ebay, and so are the games.

16 bit was the golden age of coin operated arcades. We are in the middle of the actual golden age of video games right now. With three major consoles, a Wii in every household, and people of all ages playing all around the world, video games are more mainstream than they ever have been. Sometimes the lines are longer for game releases than movie debuts.

You may be right. It is hard to argue with the video game mania that comes along with the release of major games like Call of Duty or Halo. It is hard for me to assess my previous statement and I'll explain why.

The games that I mentioned that I loved so much, I played when I was very young. For the most part, under ten years old. They were a part of a very magical period of life where my imagination was at its peak and things that are mundane now were at that time filled with wonder. Those games were a part of my childhood and are lovely memories. Because of that, I am biased and it is impossible for me to be objective.

I've played many of the games on the present systems and some of them I have enjoyed: the Mario Galaxy games, Fallout 3, The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Assassin's Creed, the Mass Effects. Though they have been fun, they have not made an impression on me the way the games of my youth had. I can still remember how I felt the first time I played the opera scene of Final Fantasy III. No moment in any video games of the present generation has given me that. The question is whether that is because the games of today are inferior, or because I am older and view things through a different, adjusted prism. That's why, when I made the previous statement, I prefaced it by adding the definitive, "in my opinion."

You may be right. It is hard to argue with the video game mania that comes along with the release of major games like Call of Duty or Halo. It is hard for me to assess my previous statement and I'll explain why.

The games that I mentioned that I loved so much, I played when I was very young. For the most part, under ten years old. They were a part of a very magical period of life where my imagination was at its peak and things that are mundane now were at that time filled with wonder. Those games were a part of my childhood and are lovely memories. Because of that, I am biased and it is impossible for me to be objective.

I've played many of the games on the present systems and some of them I have enjoyed: the Mario Galaxy games, Fallout 3, The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Assassin's Creed, the Mass Effects. Though they have been fun, they have not made an impression on me the way the games of my youth had. I can still remember how I felt the first time I played the opera scene of Final Fantasy III. No moment in any video games of the present generation has given me that. The question is whether that is because the games of today are inferior, or because I am older and view things through a different, adjusted prism. That's why, when I made the previous statement, I prefaced it by adding the definitive, "in my opinion."

I totally understand and agree with what you're saying. I wonder what it is like for today's youth. Will they look back on today's games with the same nostalgia we feel for the games of our generation, or is everything truly disposable and forgettable?

I just sold my Joust arcade machine to a guy. I don't do the console games, as I prefer the arcade machines.

but with all due respect, the Nintendo systems have had their share of problems. Does anyone remember having to blow on cartridges or clean the contacts? Did you ever know a kid who had to jam something into his Nintendo to get the cartridge to sit in the right spot? Have you tried to play any of those old games today, only to find that the battery in the cartridge that powered the tiny memory chip has failed? Did you ever have to throw away a cartridge because you spilled something sticky on it? Did you ever have to leave your console on for a week just to reach the end of Rygar only to have your mom turn it off while you were out of the house? Every system has had its issues.

I can honestly say that I had never experienced the problems you mentioned when I had my Nintendo.

I totally understand and agree with what you're saying. I wonder what it is like for today's youth. Will they look back on today's games with the same nostalgia we feel for the games of our generation, or is everything truly disposable and forgettable?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing as I was writing it. Maybe for them, Mario Galaxy is as wondrous as Super Mario World was for me.

Video games seem a lot more adult oriented now. I don't necessarily mean in the amount of violence and sex in them, but how technical and complex they are. I probably could have played Mass Effect 2 when I was a kid, but it would have been difficult. It would have been an effort. It seems you now spend as much time learning to play the game as you do playing it. Video games are now like marriages, you have to learn their nuances, commit to them, figure out all their complexities, make the right decisions, be very prudent. Sometimes this is great, but sometimes all I want is a fling. The reason I never got that into fighting games or first person shooters is that you have to practice to get good at them. Any time I devoted an amount of time to this, I always thought, "Wow, I could be learning to play the violin or writing right now." Of course I say this as I while away the time on Badger and Blade!

Does anyone remember The Lost Vikings game(s)? It was a really simple premise: You had three vikings, each one with a specific skill (one guy had a sword and could jump, another guy had a shield that could be used as a platform, I don't remember the third guy's peculiarity) and you would alternate between the three guys, utilizing their particular skills to get through a level full of puzzles. Some levels were very easy and some required some thought. In retrospect, this game seems ingenious. You learned how to play the game in about five minutes, but had to use your brain to solve puzzles that were fun.

The new systems are powerful computers, and computers in general have their share of problems, drive failures, load times, and software glitches, but with all due respect, the Nintendo systems have had their share of problems. Does anyone remember having to blow on cartridges or clean the contacts? Did you ever know a kid who had to jam something into his Nintendo to get the cartridge to sit in the right spot? Have you tried to play any of those old games today, only to find that the battery in the cartridge that powered the tiny memory chip has failed? Did you ever have to throw away a cartridge because you spilled something sticky on it? Did you ever have to leave your console on for a week just to reach the end of Rygar only to have your mom turn it off while you were out of the house? Every system has had its issues.

Valid point BUT my Nintendo STILL works. I had a PSone And PS2 break, literally fell apart. I was never gentle with my NES (I was a kid, give me a break). I probably could kick my NES right now and it would still be fine.

:pirate: arrrrrr and the games are durable too, I use 'em to patch up me ship

If any of you guys have a DS, you should check out the Etrian Odyssey series (if you can find it.) Old-school first-person RPG goodness in modern hardware. :thumbup1:

I find myself playing my DS almost exclusively. With the time drains of an adult life, the portable systems seem to fit the bill better these days. On top of that, a lot of old-school type games are released on it.

Does anyone remember The Lost Vikings game(s)? It was a really simple premise: You had three vikings, each one with a specific skill (one guy had a sword and could jump, another guy had a shield that could be used as a platform, I don't remember the third guy's peculiarity) and you would alternate between the three guys, utilizing their particular skills to get through a level full of puzzles. Some levels were very easy and some required some thought. In retrospect, this game seems ingenious. You learned how to play the game in about five minutes, but had to use your brain to solve puzzles that were fun.

Oh yeah. Great game. Another fabulous fun game that I enjoyed was a real time strategy game of the Civil War, came on one 5 1/4 floppy disk. The name escapes me but you could choose your side, North or South, then move your various navies and armies around to either defend the South or attack it. Heck of a fun, simple game and replayable for hours. And another one was Conflict: Middle East Political Simulator, where you tried to prevent nuclear war.

And of course the original dungeon exploring game, Rogue. I have no idea how many hours I sat playing that one.

Those old games wouldn't run on a modern PC, I bet.

Another old computer game that was a lot of fun was Zork. No graphics or anything. You'd enter a room and receive a description of what was in the room. My favorite room had nothing but a bucket sitting in the middle of the floor. The game wouldn't allow you to move it, pick it up, or anything. Finally, we got frustrated and typed in "Kick the bucket." The game then announced "You have died.":lol::lol:That game was a trip!:thumbup1:

I remember the Christmas I got my NES, with PowerPad, light gun, etc. That was the most freaking magical Christmas ever. I also remember the first time I played Mario 3. Talk about replay value. The only other game I was equally obsessed with was Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I didn't know anybody else who liked it or even played it, but my brother and I couldn't get enough.

Emulators, all the way.

When I need a nostalgia fix, I just download a free Emulator for whatever console I need and then download the Rom images. Some of those old games were only a few hundred k. The "large" ones were about a mb.

I don't consider it stealing since the companies have not made the games in nearly 20 years. In some cases, the companies encourage people to download the roms.

Edit: For Super Nintendo I use SNES9X. You can download loads of SNES game Rom here: http://www.coolrom.com/roms/snes/ (Open the ROM file with the Emulator and play, easy as that.)

Last edited:
I don't consider it stealing since the companies have not made the games in nearly 20 years. In some cases, the companies encourage people to download the roms.

Consider it whatever you like, that doesn't change it. NAMCO came out with a combination Ms.PacMan/Galaga a few years ago. Other companies could do the same at any time.

I would probably refrain from linking to emulation sites. Not only is it a legal gray-area, but many of those sites are infested with malware.

If you gents still own these old computer games and can somehow get them off of the 3 1/4 inch floppy disks (or the older 5-inch ones,) then the program Dosbox can run them on a newer system. It's kind of a pain to set up though.

Top Bottom