What's new

Beginner tips & guidance… From a beginner!

Tip of the day:

Keep the razor wet.

I know, I know. We rinse the razor frequently while shaving, between passes and all that. After each rinse, I find myself giving the razor a flick to knock off some of the water. Don’t do that. I am finding that keeping all of the water on the razor helps lubricate it amongst the lather and things go more smoothly. Literally and figuratively. I think that it helps a little bit.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled shave. :001_smile

I also have medical conditions that require me to be extremely careful when I shave. One thing I found that helps with face prep is to wash my face with a goat's milk soap. I don't shave with it, I only wash my face with it. My face doesn't dry out near as much and my beard softened up considerably. After washing my face I lather up as usual and shave. I'll never go back to commercial soaps for my face ever.

Fas est et ab hoste docari

I also have medical conditions that require me to be extremely careful when I shave. One thing I found that helps with face prep is to wash my face with a goat's milk soap. I don't shave with it, I only wash my face with it. My face doesn't dry out near as much and my beard softened up considerably. After washing my face I lather up as usual and shave. I'll never go back to commercial soaps for my face ever.

Hi Sergio,

Sorry about the medical conditions. I'm not really sure what effect the blood thinners are having with regard to shaving. With cartridges, I pretty much never had any blood at all. With the DE razor, I have, indeed, been getting several cuts of late, as I try to get closer. And as I sometimes get a little complacent, with things not being quite so new. Just the other day, for instance, the corner of the blade nicked my nose in a place that I do not even shave. Getting the blood to stop can take a while. Oh well. Not much that I can do about it, I guess. Just keep trying to improve the technique.

Goat's milk soap, eh? Interesting. I never heard of such a thing. Do you leave the soap on before shaving and put the lather on top or do you wash it all off?

On a potentially related note, I have been trying the Haslinger Schafmilch shave soap for some shaves recently. It's much loved. My opinion of it might be changing for the better, gradually. It has sheep's milk (i.e., Schafmilch in German). Perhaps we are talking about very similar things here. Goat... sheep... You know, if you passed by a farm in a very fast car, maybe they would look and feel the same? :tongue_sm

Hi Sergio,

Sorry about the medical conditions. I'm not really sure what effect the blood thinners are having with regard to shaving. With cartridges, I pretty much never had any blood at all. With the DE razor, I have, indeed, been getting several cuts of late, as I try to get closer. And as I sometimes get a little complacent, with things not being quite so new. Just the other day, for instance, the corner of the blade nicked my nose in a place that I do not even shave. Getting the blood to stop can take a while. Oh well. Not much that I can do about it, I guess. Just keep trying to improve the technique.

Goat's milk soap, eh? Interesting. I never heard of such a thing. Do you leave the soap on before shaving and put the lather on top or do you wash it all off?

On a potentially related note, I have been trying the Haslinger Schafmilch shave soap for some shaves recently. It's much loved. My opinion of it might be changing for the better, gradually. It has sheep's milk (i.e., Schafmilch in German). Perhaps we are talking about very similar things here. Goat... sheep... You know, if you passed by a farm in a very fast car, maybe they would look and feel the same? :tongue_sm
Getting old is not for sissies. All the ailments that go along with ageing can be overwhelming. Blood thinners have turned shaving into a major production for me. My last cut bled for two and a half days. Such a sorry state of affairs. Not to mention the ease of becoming light headed from blood pressure meds. Oh well, enough of this already.

I've tried using the goats milk soap under my shaving lather but I really couldn't see any benefit from this method. I felt that just washing my face with it before lathering up was good enough. And it seemed to soften my stubble better than regular soap. The wife said my face lookes and feels better since I started using goats milk soap. That's good enough for me.

Getting old is not for sissies. All the ailments that go along with ageing can be overwhelming. Blood thinners have turned shaving into a major production for me. My last cut bled for two and a half days. Such a sorry state of affairs. Not to mention the ease of becoming light headed from blood pressure meds. Oh well, enough of this already.

I've tried using the goats milk soap under my shaving lather but I really couldn't see any benefit from this method. I felt that just washing my face with it before lathering up was good enough. And it seemed to soften my stubble better than regular soap. The wife said my face lookes and feels better since I started using goats milk soap. That's good enough for me.

Two and a half days?! Goodness. That does not sound quite right. I hope that you are on top of your INR readings and such. From shaving, I have had some cuts that bleed for an hour or so. But nothing too bad, I guess. Please get that checked out if you have not yet.

The blood thinner has two side effects for me- migraines (ugh!) and decreased tolerance for cold/winter. Which is why I am now writing from the warmth of Florida. :001_smile Mostly to visit family for the holidays, but also to get out of winter for a little bit of time. I'm not too old, being in my late 40's. But it's only since I started the blood thinner that I really started to understand why people move south when they get old. It may be me, too!

With my being away from home, I have access to some nicer stores on this trip. Let me see if I can find some goats milk soap. I'm still learning about DE shaving. I have started to settle on products and methods that I like, all documented in this thread. But I'm still happy to try new things to find improvements. Might be in a natural foods store this afternoon. I'll have a look for goats milk soap.

All the best for the holidays and good luck with the meds!

Two and a half days?! Goodness. That does not sound quite right. I hope that you are on top of your INR readings and such. From shaving, I have had some cuts that bleed for an hour or so. But nothing too bad, I guess. Please get that checked out if you have not yet.

The blood thinner has two side effects for me- migraines (ugh!) and decreased tolerance for cold/winter. Which is why I am now writing from the warmth of Florida. :001_smile Mostly to visit family for the holidays, but also to get out of winter for a little bit of time. I'm not too old, being in my late 40's. But it's only since I started the blood thinner that I really started to understand why people move south when they get old. It may be me, too!

With my being away from home, I have access to some nicer stores on this trip. Let me see if I can find some goats milk soap. I'm still learning about DE shaving. I have started to settle on products and methods that I like, all documented in this thread. But I'm still happy to try new things to find improvements. Might be in a natural foods store this afternoon. I'll have a look for goats milk soap.

All the best for the holidays and good luck with the meds!
That last cut was on my hand and I consider oozing bleeding.

I hope the goats milk soap works out for you. I'm often told I look younger than I am. I attribute that to the soap.

Very nice detailed post... I will say however that $150 is definitely more than I would have spent (or did spend) to start. I don't hear as much about them on this forum, but the Maggard Razors basic starter kit can be had for $30. It has everything you need to start. Also, the products are great. The Maggard Razors v3 head is awesome, their synthetic brushes are top notch.

Of the 10 Razors I have, I use my Maggard razor the most, and the brush is my favorite of the five I own, and probably the cheapest.
Great write up, but there are definitely less expensive options that in my mind do not sacrifice quality.

The blood thinner has two side effects for me- migraines (ugh!) and decreased tolerance for cold/winter. Which is why I am now writing from the warmth of Florida. :001_smile

I also had to start paying attention to shaving when I started taking anti-clotting agents. I had been getting lousy, razor-burned one-pass shaves with disposables for 35 years, but I learned to live with it as normal.

When I started the meds, suddenly the nicks and razor-burned patches I got from shaving with a plastic toy from China would bleed and ooze into the collars of my dress shirts all day.

It's counter-intuitive to think that "safe, easy" disposables rip up my neck like a cheese grater, and "dangerous" double-edged razors - actual razor blades - do not, but it is absolutely true. I'm using a Muhle R-89 with Astra SP blades (approx. the same setup as you) and getting nice smooth shaves without a drop of blood.

My one tip is, always have a pack of "Kut-Kit" styptic swabs on hand for the odd nick. Break the ampoule in one end, let the liquid flow to the swab at the other end, and mash it on there. You might have to do it a couple of times. (Use the same swab, tho.) They will stop 99% of bad nicks, and can be used anywhere else you need to.

Wow...very thorough and well documented post. Can't wait to see what you write once you start straight shaving, lol.

That last cut was on my hand and I consider oozing bleeding.

I hope the goats milk soap works out for you. I'm often told I look younger than I am. I attribute that to the soap.

Yeah, oozing is bleeding and 2.5 days is way too long. I hope that you are on top of the meds and such. Good luck with it.

There is a really nice Whole Foods market near where I am staying now. There was one goat's milk soap available: Nubian Goat's Milk and Chai Soap with Rose Extracts. So I picked up a bar. Will try it after this trip, when I am back home and it is easer to work into the shaving routine.

Looking younger would be quite the bonus. Recently, I was reading an article about claims in the cosmetics industry and how most of them are unfounded. One scientist joked something along the lines of: 'This product claims that it will make you look 20 years younger. So I put some on a 7 year old. Now I can't find him.' :lol:

Wow...very thorough and well documented post. Can't wait to see what you write once you start straight shaving, lol.

Thanks! Straight shaving. Right. You know, I can totally see the appeal. I am the kind of guy who might like to give it a shot. But with the stories I have read here at B&B regarding permanent scars due to a momentary lapse of concentration... and the blood thinners... I think that I will leave the straight shaving to the real men. :001_smile

I also had to start paying attention to shaving when I started taking anti-clotting agents. I had been getting lousy, razor-burned one-pass shaves with disposables for 35 years, but I learned to live with it as normal.

When I started the meds, suddenly the nicks and razor-burned patches I got from shaving with a plastic toy from China would bleed and ooze into the collars of my dress shirts all day.

It's counter-intuitive to think that "safe, easy" disposables rip up my neck like a cheese grater, and "dangerous" double-edged razors - actual razor blades - do not, but it is absolutely true. I'm using a Muhle R-89 with Astra SP blades (approx. the same setup as you) and getting nice smooth shaves without a drop of blood.

My one tip is, always have a pack of "Kut-Kit" styptic swabs on hand for the odd nick. Break the ampoule in one end, let the liquid flow to the swab at the other end, and mash it on there. You might have to do it a couple of times. (Use the same swab, tho.) They will stop 99% of bad nicks, and can be used anywhere else you need to.

Eeek. Sounds bad. All day bleeding? I guess that I am lucky to not have been dealing with that. (Just did a home clot time test before logging into to B&B here.) Very glad to hear that you are now not getting any blood. I'm not there yet. I still often do. But usually nothing too bad. Mostly weepers. With cartridges, I never had bleeding. I'd say that the last time I saw any blood at all from a cartridge shave was at least 5 years ago and that includes 3.5 years on coumadin. With the DE razor, some cuts have returned. I have wondered if many of the cuts I do get might be from too many passes and too much pressure from a too mild razor (EJ DE89) and I might try something more aggressive. Although I can see that going in the opposite direction from what is desired. I'm leaning toward trying out the Rockwell 6S to see how it all goes.

I appreciate your recommendation of Kut-Kit. Never heard of it. And just within the past 2 weeks or so I have thought it time to get something good for such moments. I have a Razorock alum stick that looks like a nice design, with a wide, rounded shape. But the few times I tried to use it, not much clotting happened. Picked up a Nick Stick just before leaving on this trip. Fortunately, have not yet needed to try it out yet. But having another product now in mind is great. Thanks!

Very nice detailed post... I will say however that $150 is definitely more than I would have spent (or did spend) to start. I don't hear as much about them on this forum, but the Maggard Razors basic starter kit can be had for $30. It has everything you need to start. Also, the products are great. The Maggard Razors v3 head is awesome, their synthetic brushes are top notch.

Of the 10 Razors I have, I use my Maggard razor the most, and the brush is my favorite of the five I own, and probably the cheapest.
Great write up, but there are definitely less expensive options that in my mind do not sacrifice quality.

Hi Bison93,

Thanks for the excellent info! That's just the sort of thing that might help any new guys reading along. I agree completely that one not need spend as much as I did to start. You could even just keep with the cartridge routine and only buy a starter razor and blades, then go from there. Given the blood thinners and having a decent income, it was OK for me to spend that much to get started. No regrets. It's been ore fun that I expected.

Since shaving a little bit, I have found that I prefer the scrubby and stiff Semogue 1438 boar brush at $17 over the $64 Simpson Colonel badger brush that I started with. Although the Colonel sure is a nice brush. So there are many ways to save at the beginning and even later on.

I had not yet heard of Maggards when I was beginning all of this and started the thread. But since have placed some orders with them. Recommended highly. Great selection, top notch customer service, and I really like being able to try small samples of some products. I very much like their MR 11 stainless steel handle that I now used on my EJ DE89 razor head. And I have since read about how their synthetic brushes are well regarded. The purple swirl handle one looks fun and cheap enough to try just for fun.

Nubian Goat's Milk and Chai with Rose Extracts sounds like a must try. I've been using a stash of Terlingua Soap Company's Goat's Milk Soap with carrot and cloves. But I believe they might be out of business and I'm down to my last bar. I might have found a replacement. Thanks.

Thanks! Straight shaving. Right. You know, I can totally see the appeal. I am the kind of guy who might like to give it a shot. But with the stories I have read here at B&B regarding permanent scars due to a momentary lapse of concentration... and the blood thinners... I think that I will leave the straight shaving to the real men. :001_smile

Not sure about permanent scars and all that and didn't mean to imply straight razor shaving is anymore manly, lol...Just saying that if you are this much a wackadoo (and I mean that with respect) about DE shaving...you start straight razor shaving, your purchases will explode.

All day bleeding? I guess that I am lucky to not have been dealing with that. (Just did a home clot time test before logging into to B&B here.) Very glad to hear that you are now not getting any blood. I'm not there yet. I still often do. But usually nothing too bad. Mostly weepers. <. . .>

I appreciate your recommendation of Kut-Kit. Never heard of it. And just within the past 2 weeks or so I have thought it time to get something good for such moments. I have a Razorock alum stick that looks like a nice design, with a wide, rounded shape. But the few times I tried to use it, not much clotting happened. Picked up a Nick Stick just before leaving on this trip. Fortunately, have not yet needed to try it out yet. But having another product now in mind is great. Thanks!

If you're on meds that make you bleed, Kut Kit is the way to go IME.

They look like Q-Tips and come in flat packs of 12. There's a small ampoule of liquid at one end that you break, and let the liquid run down inside the stick to the cotton swab at the other end. They will stop the biggest nick you're likely to get shaving, or any other small site that won't stop bleeding.

If I use an alum block on something and it keeps bleeding, I go right to the Kut Kit swab. 10x more effective than styptic pencils etc.

$kut_kit.jpg

Nubian Goat's Milk and Chai with Rose Extracts sounds like a must try. I've been using a stash of Terlingua Soap Company's Goat's Milk Soap with carrot and cloves. But I believe they might be out of business and I'm down to my last bar. I might have found a replacement. Thanks.

I'll post here to let you know what I think about it. Just got back from the trip and used the soap for some general face washing and one shave. So far so good. But I'll need several shaves before I can say anything useful. Trying new things is one of the fun things about this new approach to shaving that I am enjoying.

Not sure about permanent scars and all that and didn't mean to imply straight razor shaving is anymore manly, lol...Just saying that if you are this much a wackadoo (and I mean that with respect) about DE shaving...you start straight razor shaving, your purchases will explode.

Yeah, I have no defense against any charges of being a wackadoo. :tongue_sm:001_smile I told (only) one friend that I was starting the DE shaving thing and he exclaimed "Are you crazy?! On blood thinners?!" So I have some masculine craziness credibility. But I won't go all the way to straight razors. As much as I might like to give it a try.

If you're on meds that make you bleed, Kut Kit is the way to go IME.

They look like Q-Tips and come in flat packs of 12. There's a small ampoule of liquid at one end that you break, and let the liquid run down inside the stick to the cotton swab at the other end. They will stop the biggest nick you're likely to get shaving, or any other small site that won't stop bleeding.

If I use an alum block on something and it keeps bleeding, I go right to the Kut Kit swab. 10x more effective than styptic pencils etc.

View attachment 712905

What a great bit of advice. (I avoided saying it's a great tip! :tongue_sm ) I just ordered a pack. And hope to never need them. From what you say, try alum first. And if that doesn't stop the bleeding, then try one of these swabs. That's the plan. Thanks for the idea!

A new razor… and wow!

I just received a Rockwell 6S razor and had my first shave this morning. I’m pretty amazed. I started out with the #3 plate. (It’s got multiple plates for differing levels of aggression.) It feels to be about as aggressive as my current Edwin Jagger DE89, although maybe a little bit more so and/or efficient. It took a little bit less work to get a close shave. But the *big* difference was how little irritation I got from the shave. Zero blood of any sort. Almost no irritation feel. When I went for the alcohol aftershave splash, there was almost no sting at all. I can’t believe it.

I have been struggling with getting shaves that are both close and comfortable. With the DE89, close is possible with a lot of work and then irritation. Comfortable is also possible if I do not try to get too close. But close *and* comfortable remained elusive. With the Rockwell it’s there. I’m amazed.

It’s an expensive razor at $100 but, to me, totally worth the lack of hurting oneself in the morning. I would recommend the Rockwell for beginners although I understand that the price will keep a lot of people away. I still needed some work with the #3 plate. So next up I will try the more aggressive #4 plate and see how that goes. Where was this razor my whole life? :blink: Anyways, based on only one shave, this is an exciting day in my shaving world. :001_smile

Top Bottom