What's new

Anyone else stuck on vintage video game consoles?

My wife and kids bought me a console that plays the original NES (Nintendo) cartridges as a gift a couple years ago, and I play it when I have the chance. I love these old games, as they came out when I was in junior high and was a video game junkie. I can't play the current Playstation/xbox games worth a crap. I think it has something to do with 9 million buttons that have to be used in perfect conjunction!:lol::lol:Plus, I love the fact that I can pick up NES cartridges online and at the flea market for $5 or less per game. Anyone else own/play these and other old console games like Atari, Nintendo, Sega, Super Nintendo, N64, etc.?

I have a nes(well 2 actually) and love it. Also have a sega geniuses its not as fun but sonic rules lol. and the newest console I have is a ps2 they are all very fun and old school in there own way lol.

I have an NES with a bunch of games ohh and the POWERPAD! Bunch of gun games for it too. Nintendo has always had a soft spot in my heart, but when the Sega Genesis came out I was blown away.

O yeah, the first time my mom heard me cuss was when I was playing Pitfall for the Atari 2600. "BS! I jumped on the back of the alligators mouth!!!!"

Check out emulators/roms and you can play a bunch of games/systems (for free)

:pirate: arrrr I approve of this message

I like the old nintendo system. I still have my 'Family Computer' Nintendo that I had when I grew up in Japan. it doesn't work but i've still got about 15 games or so for it. as far as the new generation of consoles, I like them but they've proven unreliable. I now have a $400 xbox 360 that sits collecting dust because of the red ring of death. I want to punch Bill Gates in the face.

I like the old nintendo system. I still have my 'Family Computer' Nintendo that I had when I grew up in Japan. it doesn't work but i've still got about 15 games or so for it. as far as the new generation of consoles, I like them but they've proven unreliable. I now have a $400 xbox 360 that sits collecting dust because of the red ring of death. I want to punch Bill Gates in the face.

:lol: He'd use his mind control to give your brain a blue screen of death...

Not exactly vintage but I have been obsessed with Scarface on PS2 lately, much to Lovely Wife's dismay.

Some of my favorite PS2 games:

Resident Evil 4
Scarface
Hitman: Blood Money
Silent Hill: Origins

These four games alone are reason enough to pick up a PS2 if one can be found cheap.

I have a whole collection of vintage video games including an Atari 2600 "woody", a SNES, a Megadrive, a Playstation 1 and even an arcade cabinet with a multi board to play Pac Man, Donkey Kong and the occasional fighter. Most games I play on emulators though because it's easier to switch. My iPad has a SNES emulator on it that allows me to use my iPhone as a controller. Works like a charm although I prefer real controller.

First home video game was some type of pong (Brother or Lloyd?), followed by (many years later) a Timex Sinclair for a home computer.

Okay, I'm starting to feel a little old (not much, just a little). :blushing:

16-bit was, in my opinion, the golden age of videos games. That said, I was never that into the Sega Genesis. For the most part, it sat on my shelf, unused, while I played the heck out of my SNES. The only time the Genesis took precedence was when the original Mortal Kombat came out and the Genesis version had a cheat code for blood, whereas the SNES version did not.

Some of my favorite games from the SNES days: Final Fantasy II, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III (still my favorite FF game), Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (still my favorite Zelda game), Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid, the NBA Jam series and a lot of other games that I can't think of at the moment. I still play some of them via ROMs. My brother has my old SNES, which he still plays.

I used to buy my games at Toys 'R Us. There was a big wall at the back of the store with all of the games displayed and each game had a heap of slips of paper underneath it and when you wanted one of the games, you'd pull off a slip of paper, take it to the front of the store, pay for it at the register and then go up to this guy who sat in a big glass booth will all of the games arrayed in it. You'd hand the guy your slip of paper and he'd go back, rummage around and find the game you wanted, hand it to you through the window and there it was in all its glory - a rectangular, paper box with an illustration on the cover and pictures of the game on the back. I always thought how wonderful it must be to be that guy in that big, magical booth with rows and rows and stacks and stacks of video games in it. It was like having access to countless undiscovered worlds all around you.

And then I grew up and the games got serious. Now they're all about graphics. I enjoy a lot of the present generation games, but they're not as terrific as they were in days of yore.

I still have an Intellivision tucked away. Used it all the time when I was a kid, but it hasn't been plugged in for decades.

I'm hooked on the 8-bit/16-bit era too, and it's cool to see some of those old games coming back into the mainstream. Has anybody played the 8-bit Mega Man 8 or 9 (released recently) or maybe anything from the Bit.trip series on the Wii?

I played a lot of Mega Man when I was a kid. But unfortunatley I gave away my Nintendo and Sega Genisis when I moved away from Michigan. There just wasn't enough room in the trailer to pack it.

16-bit was, in my opinion, the golden age of videos games.

16 bit was the golden age of coin operated arcades. We are in the middle of the actual golden age of video games right now. With three major consoles, a Wii in every household, and people of all ages playing all around the world, video games are more mainstream than they ever have been. Sometimes the lines are longer for game releases than movie debuts.

Some of my favorite PS2 games:

Resident Evil 4

awesome game. I have this for my Game Cube and have beat it a gazillion times. i'm still trying to unlock the hand-cannon which is the last secret weapon you can get. only one level left and it's a pain in the butt

:yikes: SEGA!!!!

My passion, my obsession before dating.....after that I had no money to buy video games :ladysman:

proxy.php

Turbografx 16 - Bonk and Bonk's Revenge, and Ninja Spirit.

I am, however, dying to do something like
this

... as soon as the basement is finished. :001_rolle

Top Bottom