What's new

Anyone else still enjoy 80's colognes?

Boss #1 is the quintessential "power" frag of the 80's. Saw Azzaro and Kouros- that rounds out the holy trinity for me. Now, the most important question-what was the 3 best Women's 80's fragrances! Let's see that one!!!

Not a fan of Grey Flannel, and I've tried. I do still have a tiny sample bottle of Hawk still sitting around that my dad gave to me.

My best friend only weaks Drakkar as a fragrance so I didn't want to go that route, but I've been very interested in Fahrenheit...

Rocked the Bijan over the weekend and it made me think of this thread

Tried a spray of the Aramis when I was at a department store a couple of days ago. It's not to my liking, but has that staying power I like.

Just got an order of colognes in the mail today. One of them was Dunhill Edition that I bought blind. Sprayed some on a post it and it gets a 2 thumbs up from me. Can't wait to wear it this week.

Like most here Drakkar and Polo were staples in my cologne collection of the 80's along with one that I remember fondly made by Eddie Bauer called Adventurer. Obsession was a favorite of a couple girls I dated back then but I always thought it smelled to sweet and so it and a dozen others through the years fell by the wayside including Polo. Drakkar is still with me today and is all I buy for myself, if Adventurer was still made I'd keep it around too.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Obsession and Eternity were in a gift set TWGW gave me for Christmas last year. I sort of cycle through those (there were 4 in total), but I'm not blown away by any of them.

I used to wear Aspen. It was a favorite of psycho ex-girlfriend. Not bringing that one back...

I have and like Stetson. Is that 80s? 70s? 20s?

My favourite 80's cologne. Didn't start with them until the 90's or later, though:
Armani Eau pour Homme (vintage*), but the reformulated stuff is pretty decent too
Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels*
Avon Black Suede*
Dior Fahrenheit
Aqua Quorum
Cacharel pour Homme

* still in my collection

One of my favourite fragrances is from the 1980s (Derby), yet it smells nothing like the prototypical fougere masculines that characterize that decade, which is probably why I love it. It is a masculine reprise of Jacques Guerlain's early feminine (masterpiece) chypres (Mitsouko and Sous le Vent more specifically) with a subtle yet beautifully integrated leather/mint note. It's understated class is probably why it bombed in the "Magnum PI bigger-is-better" decade. The fragrance enthusiasts are most responsible for its reissue, albeit at a higher cost. Still worth it though.

There are a couple others that also defy characterization, which I like. Otherwise, I dislike most fragrances from the 80s (Joop, DN, PH, etc.) There are a few that I appreciate (Jules, Kouros, etc.), but could never actually wear. The decade saw the proliferation of Aromatic Fougeres underpinned with powerful synthetic aroma chemicals, which resulted in monster projection and sillage. Still, some great fragrances came from the 80s.

I have and like Stetson. Is that 80s? 70s? 20s?

It was introduced in 1981

I remember seeing it on the shelves at just about every store I went to as a kid.

Read some reviews about Oscar Pour Lui. It seems like something I may like and the price is right too.

Last edited:
Cacharel Pour Homme is probably my favourite of the strictly '80s, and I wear it at least once a week.

I own Drakkar Noir as well, which I like but have to be in the right mood for.

I do like Fahrenheit but I own far too many bottles at the moment and need to try and get at least 50% through one of them!
It's on my to buy list though.

Polo and Aramis weren't strictly released in the 80s but seeing as I like to be all-inclusive, and they were popular, they're also firm favourites. I wear Aramis most frequently and got a bargain price for the 110ml bottle the other day - £25 (that's around $39) from John Lewis, which is one of the UK's best department stores.

I go out of my way to scour the earth for fragrances from the 80!s. The power fragrances had real depth and staying power. To name but a few in my closet. Antaeus/Chanel. Cool Water/Davidoff. Quorum/Anton Puig. Grey flannel. KL/Lagerfeld . Fahrenheit/Chanel. Pour Lui/Oscar de la Renta

The problem with all the fragrances nowadays is they all smell so generic, they have all been made by the huge factory in the south of France (Ive forgotten the exact location ) and as we all travel more we all smell like a duty free shop everytime we apply these mass marketed perfumes .

To the original post: Love both Drakkar and Obsession. To me those were very well made and very nice smelling fragrances. Also love the first version of Fahrenheit too. One cologne I miss and like lots and can't seem to find (out of production I think) is Davidoff The Good Life. I also like Moschino Uomo? too, but these two aren't 80's colognes but rather from the late 90's. Heck I even like some of the cheaper stuff like the original Stetson cologne and English Leather too.

Problem is that too many of the mass advertised colognes get too over used way too much by too many guys that pretty soon they just become cheap smelling.

As far as Aspen goes I never liked it. Picked up a bottle of the aftershave from a grocery store back in 1991 and it just wasn't the type of notes I like in a scent, to make it worse it's so synthetic that it doesn't wash off or wear off easily either. I recall I tossed it in a dumpster a couple days after I bought it.

Last edited:
These all still smell great to my nose.

Davidoff - Cool Water cologne
Alfred Sung - Sung Homme colgne
Ralph Lauren - Polo eau de toilette ('78, I know, but only gained popularity here in the 80's)
Dior - Fahrenheit cologne

Last edited:
I still enjoy Vintage; Aramis Original, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Brut by Faberge, Francesco Smalto X2, Polo Green X2, Halston Z-14, Avon Wild Country and Canoe. I enjoy some Vintage AS like; Halston Z-14, Mennen Original, Mennen Cool Spice, Mennen Burnished Leather, Avon Tribute, Tai Winds and Cordovan.

Last edited:
I still enjoy Vintage; Aramis Original, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Brut by Faberge, Francesco Smalto X2, Polo Green X2, Halston Z-14, Avon Wild Country and Canoe. I enjoy some Vintage AS like; Halston Z-14, Mennen Original, Mennen Cool Spice, Mennen Burnished Leather, Avon Tribute, Tai Winds and Cordovan.
Take note.
This right here is a rockin' list.

Just picked up a 30ml bottle of the original Oscar Pour Lui and tried it for the first time last night. There is a lot going on with that fragrance and in a good way too. A very sophesticated scent to me to my nose.

Back then there were only a few colognes/aftershaves that I could smell and tell you what they were. Never knew that was the scent of Oscar Pour Lui that I smelled back then. But I do remember this scent quite vividly back in the 80's and it brings back some good memories from that era.

I'll be on the lookout for some Paco Robanne Pour Homme as it sounds like something I'd like from the reviews. But they are saying the new formulation is not quite the same.

Last edited:
Top Bottom