What's new

What are the most meaningful fragrances in your life?

(There was another thread but it was destroyed in a horrible title change accident, so I remade it here)

I’ve been “stuck” with only a bottle of Encre Noire Sport for a few weeks, and it got me thinking. Out of my whole collection, this is probably the one that feels the most like “me”. I wouldn’t mind wearing just that for the rest of my life.

But of course there are others in the collection that have a special place. Like Terre d’Hermès, the very first fragrant thing I ordered that wasn’t an aftershave splash. I was blown away on that first spray (that’s poetry right there), and the damn thing is probably responsible for my whole collection and ongoing obsession with smelly liquids.

The one I reach for “by default”, that I know everyone agrees with, and it always makes me feel a little more like I care for how I present myself, is Acqua di Gio Profumo. It’s a little less “like me”, a little more mainstream, but that’s why I reach for it so often. I wish I had gotten a few backup bottles before it got discontinued.

For the office, my number one is Gucci Guilty Black. Fresh in a unique way, short lived, won’t ever offend anyone on the elevator. Perfection.

The last perfume I’d say is truly meaningful in my life is Creed Aventus. It’s the one I reach for on special occasions, when I also go for the finer Swiss or German watch instead of my everyday Seiko SKX, when I dress up, when I know there will be good memories of the event. Aventus is the fragrance I want associated to those memories.

I could probably go on but these are the main ones in my life right now. I have dozens of others in the collection that smell fantastic, but that don’t mean as much (yet).

What are your most meaningful fragrances, and why?

Last edited:
Terre D'Hermes, for the same reason you stated above. The first spray I felt like I had found a part of myself that was missing. (However corny that sounds). I can't imagine not having it around. It's my go-to.

Floris' Honey Oud was by first real fragrance commitment (meaning I spent the extra cash for a full bottle). I use it for nights out, special occasions, etc...

Terre D'Hermes, for the same reason you stated above. The first spray I felt like I had found a part of myself that was missing. (However corny that sounds). I can't imagine not having it around. It's my go-to.

Floris' Honey Oud was by first real fragrance commitment (meaning I spent the extra cash for a full bottle). I use it for nights out, special occasions, etc...
Terre d’Hermès truly hits hard when you don’t really know what to expect from perfumery.

And yeah I think Floris is THE house that is best positioned to bring people from the world of traditional shaving into the world of fragrance. They sit right in the middle and have been producing iconic stuff for decades and decades.

The originals from when I was much younger...
English Leather - my yearly Christmas present to my grandfather when I was a kid, with the shaving soap included.
Old Spice - about the only thing dad ever wore
Obsession - I don't care for it but SWMBO loves it so I wear it and for her I loved Jessica McClintock but it always made her sneeze.
Never found my "signature" fragrance.

Obsession - I don't care for it but SWMBO loves it so I wear it and for her
Fun fact: Tony Sirico who played Paulie Walnuts on The Sopranos, wore an ungodly amount of CK Obsession. He would even spray some on the other actors on set. The actors who played Tony Soprano’s kids were talking about that on a podcast recently and they were like “yeah it was to the point you shook his hand and his cologne followed you around for days”.

I love how they even referenced it when he (Sirico) did the voice for the dog that replaced Brian on Family Guy for a few episodes. At some point he says “I want something I can wear on the street that a broad can smell on a fire escape.” Such a perfect, random line.

I’ve never smelled Obsession but now I kinda have to.

IMG_4975.jpeg

What an Intriguing title ... how can a fragrance be "meaningful" ....??!!
But going along with it, I can think of Aqua Velva reminding me distinctly of my paternal uncle. That was "his" aftershave. I did not know the name of it back when he was alive, but I immediately recognized that fragrance my unle used to wear when I first tried Aqua Velva myself .... So that has a lot of "meaning" for me.
As far as "favourite fragrances" go -- which seems to be what you really have in mind here -- I too like Tom Ford's combo of "Leather" and "Oud" ... there are different variants, I don't even recall which ones exactly I have tried, but I just absolutely love that combo of Oud and Leather ...

Acqua di Parma - Bergamotto di Calabria

It was my first solid fragrance gift from my father back when I was in highschool. He brought it to me from Italy.

Ever since I have been a crazed bergamot lover. That very distinct scent has been my ultimate standard when it comes to citrus fragrances.

It has an other-worldly calming effect on me like no other scent on Earth.

acqua-di-parma-bergamotto-di-calabria-la-spugnatura-eau-de-toilette-100ml_16799274_33140084_20...jpg

What an Intriguing title ... how can a fragrance be "meaningful" ....??!!
But going along with it, I can think of Aqua Velva reminding me distinctly of my paternal uncle. That was "his" aftershave. I did not know the name of it back when he was alive, but I immediately recognized that fragrance my unle used to wear when I first tried Aqua Velva myself .... So that has a lot of "meaning" for me.
As far as "favourite fragrances" go -- which seems to be what you really have in mind here -- I too like Tom Ford's combo of "Leather" and "Oud" ... there are different variants, I don't even recall which ones exactly I have tried, but I just absolutely love that combo of Oud and Leather ...
I probably just suck at English ahhaha. Not my first language.

I meant, which fragrances have a more special place in your life than just “smelling good”. The one you wore on your wedding day, the one that reminds you of a family member, the one that comforts you the most on rainy days.

“Meaning” was probably not the right choice of word, but yeah, your reply was perfect!

Mine would be Floris No.89 and Trumper’s West Indian Limes.
My wife first bought me Floris No.89 back in the 1970s and I’ve been using it on and off ever since. Quite a few good old fashioned chemists and department stores in the UK stocked Floris back then.

Trumper’s used to have a shop on Jermyn Street, London, in the 1970s, roughly where Joseph Cheaney is now. One day we happened to be passing and the window display was West Indian Limes. I went in and bought some and, like Floris, I’ve been using it on and off ever since.

It used to be Polo Green but the newest versions are awful.
It is a tragedy. For some reason back in the day I was not that much into Polo Green. But I had a decent, maybe 10 ml, decant of vinrage after shave, which was easily as strong as the modern edt, or whatever they call it. Really wonderful stuff. I hoarded it for times when I really wanted something special, which seems amazing for something so commonplace way back when.

Aramis, A classic that reminds me of every era of my life.
I have some Aramis of a middling vintage. I tend not to wear it as it is so distinctive and I can see how some folks would recognize it and think it out of style, but there are probably fewer folks who do recognize it. I do love this scent. It takes me back. It was and is a great one. I feel similarly about Halston I-12, although I think what I have for it, is a more current version. Probably not what the original was.

Brut reminds me of my grandfather, so for that reason I will always have a bottle with me for the scent memory.

Trumper's Spanish Leather to me just smells of London. I bought a bottle on one of my London trips years ago and it immediately puts me there again whenever I spray it.

Top Bottom