What's new

Any sushi lovers? Tell me about your wasabi usage.

I use wasabi based on what type of sushi I am eating.
Normally if I am eating a roll, I will do the wasabi/soy mixture.
If I having just a plain piece of sushi (no roll, just the fish, fish/rice/wasabi), I will not dip it in anything at all. I love the taste of the fish and rice just the way it is most of the time.

I did learn to drink cold sake there,

-jim

Hi Jim,

Before you drink all sake cold, make sure to know what you are drinking first. There are many different grades of sake, and therefore different temperatures. The cheap stuff is usually warmed or room temperature. junmai, ginjo, and dai ginjo is cold, but even that varies in temperature. Some Dai Ginjo, for instance, is taken out of the refrigerator for 5 minutes before consummed.

To everyone else,

I think the same way sake is enjoyed is the same way sushi should be enjoyed with wasabi. Most sushi chefs will mock you if you utilize wasabi NOT already added. It hides the flavor of the fish, they say. This includes diluting your rice with shoyu. The nigiri, or sushi that has rice with the fish on top, should be flipped over to expose only the fish to shoyu. Shoyu should only be used to bring the fragrance and taste of the fish out, and not over power it.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt (or rice =P) This comes from my father-in-law and Izakaya owners (regarding sake), so the info is coming third party. All this info I've utilized, and it's much enjoyed on a night at a nice sushi restaurant.

How do you know if you're at a high quality sushi restaurant?
#1: Make sure your chef is or was a japanese citizen!!! <-- this i stress!
#2: If the fish smells fishy, ditch it. It's not fresh.
#3: The rice will not be mushy or grainy. It will be just right. Sushi chefs train for years making only rice before touching fish.
#4: The fish shouldn't be a lump on your rice. It should be a nice even, long, and wide cut. Presentation will be key, so take your time.
#5: If you speak the chef's language, sometimes talking is key. He'll tell you where the fish is from or how he prepared it.

Hi Jim,

Before you drink all sake cold, make sure to know what you are drinking first. There are many different grades of sake, and therefore different temperatures. The cheap stuff is usually warmed or room temperature. junmai, ginjo, and dai ginjo is cold, but even that varies in temperature. Some Dai Ginjo, for instance, is taken out of the refrigerator for 5 minutes before consummed.

I actually prefer the junmai, just a deeper flavor I think. The lighter junmai ginjo - even though more expensive and a premium sake - just doesn't do it for me.

Can we get ginjo or diaginjo here in the states? I thought they only export junmai style sake (no added alcohol).

#5: If you speak the chef's language, sometimes talking is key. He'll tell you where the fish is from or how he prepared it.

And I would add:
#6: late in the evening, buy the chef a round of sake or beer. kampai!

#7: above decent tips if you think you found a quality place.

And then continue to go to the same place.

-jim

This is a kaseki thing; the wasabi represents the islands of Japan and the soy the surrounding ocean.

Hokkaido is the Northenmost island of Japan. What's the name of the big island in the middle?

(Say the answer out loud before you click the spoiler.)

Gezundheit ... But what's the name of the big island?

Hokkaido is the Northenmost island of Japan. What's the name of the big island in the middle?

(Say the answer out loud before you click the spoiler.)

Gezundheit ... But what's the name of the big island?

Oahu!

Ohhh, I thought you said what big island do the Japanese own...

-jim

Jim,

The name of the Big Island is Hawaii, not Oahu. Oahu just contains the capital of Hawaii. The only big thing about Oahu is the amount of people on it. Somewhere in the lines of 1.xxM people. Traffic is getting horrendus here!

Yes they export ginjo and dai ginjo. We have tons here in Hawaii. Good quality and bad. I hate having to choose blindly/by price. Some sushi restaurants even let you keep your bottle at their place. <-- Most Izakaya in Japan practice this.

dpm802,

That's hilarious. Never thought Kyushu sounded like sneezing until you said it. Too many japanese people/tourist in Hawaii and therefore japanese, in Hawaii, has become the Spanish of the continental U.S. Japanese is actually the preferred class from pre-school (afterschool care) to college! Yes, the University of Hawaii Japanese course fills up quickly as language is a required elective where you need 4 semesters of 1 language.

Last edited:
Jim,

The name of the Big Island is Hawaii, not Oahu. Oahu just contains the capital of Hawaii. The only big thing about Oahu is the amount of people on it. Somewhere in the lines of 1.xxM people. Traffic is getting horrendus here!

I was just kidding, I do know that since the only island I've ever been to is Hawaii - basically to walk up Mauna Loa. I just think it's darn ironic that the Japanese own so much of Oahu!

-jim

I almost never use wasabi or soy with my sushi because I really want to taste what I'm eating, not just the condiments.

EDIT: And to answer the OP's question, yes, I love sushi. Even more than pizza, which is really saying something for me.

I was just kidding, I do know that since the only island I've ever been to is Hawaii - basically to walk up Mauna Loa. I just think it's darn ironic that the Japanese own so much of Oahu!

-jim

Don't worry. The Chinese will buy them all out soon enough. ;p

The proper Japanese way to eat wasabi is to mix Wasabi with soya sauce. That's from my Japanese friends and from travelling to Japan. One thing that I miss is fresh Wasabi, it's a lot more potent then the powdered mix that's sold in the restaurants in Australia.

Also I usually use lots of wasabi in my mix, I like it strong. Except when I eat Toro tuna, I use very little.

+1 to everything in this post! I also *love* the fresh Wasabi. The chefs at my favorite sushi bar always give me a very generous portion when I sit down.

Actually, OP, "real" wasabi is much better, and about equal on the spicy level. Most "wasabi" served at japanese restaurants is colored horseradish with a bit of wasabi flavoring. Compared to the real deal, it tastes chalky. Real wasabi has a delicious flavor that makes you WANT to kill your mouth with gobs of it.

Ask your local sushi restaurant if they carry fresh or chopped wasabi. Most do, but don't advertise it because it's much more expensive. You'll receive one of two things:

Fresh chopped:
proxy.php

or what looks like little pieces of chive in green sauce (can't find a photo). The former is best, obviously, and means the sushi restaurant you're at is a keeper. The latter is better than the crap they usually serve, since it's the real deal, but it was canned at some point.

Personally, I would never mix wasabi with soy sauce, and especially not if i can get the real deal. I don't need the sodium to appreciate the clean flavors of raw fish and the quick-burning heat of the wasabi root.

The first time I was introduced to sushi a colleague told me that with each roll of sushi you have to eat a spoon full of wasabi. It was safe to say I found out it was a prank very quickly.

Had some sushi tonight with the delicious chopped wasabi. Split Albacore, Ono, Whitefish and Salmon sushi Nigiri and an order Bluefin sashimi with my girlfriend. I'm proud of how far she's come. Used to be one of those "California roll only" type of sushi eaters. Fish, rice, and wasabi...you really don't need much more. I'm all for trying out an interesting fusion roll here and there, but for my money, it doesn't get much better than a few pieces of nigiri with some sashimi.

A bit off topic, chirashizushi is my very favorite bowl o' rice. I may dip the fish into shoyu and wasabi but usually not. Very different from my nigiri consumption. My 7 yo will only eat california roll or ama ebi and there she only likes the deep fried shrimp heads and she does not like wasabi.

-jim

Strangely enough in this small central California valley town there exists a restaurant with world class nigiri/sashimi. The freshest I have had anywere
in the world. Family run business picks up their fish (whole) everyday in San Franciso and the owner cuts everything in the restaurant. I mix my small dollop of wasabi in the soy sauce bowl with a little soy sauce to get a smooth mixture and then add the rest of the soy sauce. I don't eat rolls.

Strangely enough in this small central California valley town there exists a restaurant with world class nigiri/sashimi. The freshest I have had anywere
in the world. Family run business picks up their fish (whole) everyday in San Franciso and the owner cuts everything in the restaurant. I mix my small dollop of wasabi in the soy sauce bowl with a little soy sauce to get a smooth mixture and then add the rest of the soy sauce. I don't eat rolls.

How can you tease us like that and then NOT name the town or restaurant????:angry:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I lived in Japan almost 20 years ago and even before then loved sushi. Luckily, there is a great little sushi bar here in Zürich- it is expensive but so is everything else in this town :biggrin1: I generally mix all of the wasabi from my various plates into my sauce bowl- just love the stuff.
Actually went to a bbq last night and made a potato salad with wasabi mayonnaise to take along.

That sounds so good. I like sliced ham, turkey, chicken breast rolled up with a bit of cheese and wasabi. I love the wasabi pea snacks. I've always liked horseradish with roast beef. I'm a big fan of various mustards as well.

Mike

Top Bottom