What's new

Your Top Ten Military Cartridge Firearms-Inspired By TopGumby's USMC/1911 Thread

Hey chaps. TopGumby's recent thread about the USMC and its return to the glorious old 1911 set me thinking. How about a top ten favourite military arms thread? I am limiting my choices to hand or shoulder fired weapons using metallic cartridges. For me, this is more about the weapons that just worked rather than focusing on revolutionary technology. Though some of them most certainly qualified in that respect. Here we go.

1873 Colt Single Action Army

To me, the one that started it all. Adopted in 1873 by the U.S. Army in .45 Colt calibre this was and is a legendary hand gun and deservedly so. Quickly adapted to by soldiers this one put the final nail in the coffin of front stuffed revolvers. It was adopted and used by so many military and police forces worldwide it is almost impossible to list them all. It's .45 cailbre cartridge was to remain the most powerful factory loaded handgun round for 62 years till the .357 Magnum was introduced in 1935. Other than metallurgy it remained unchanged till the second generation was introduced in 1941. A full SIXTY-EIGHT years. It was officially replaced by the 1892 Colt double action revolver chambered in .38 Colt in 1892. A dismal failure of a battle round in a trouble prone revolver. Many soldiers carried their own private 1873s for years after its official retirement. Rough Riders in 1898. Doughboys in the Mexican campaign of 1916, and again in the trenches of WW1. It wouldn't die. And even Patton carried a beautiful nickel plated version in WW2. It went through another iteration in 1975 and even today is available from Colt's custom shop. 139 years after its introduction. This one needs no proving.

Short Magazine Lee-Enfield

This is another legendary martial arm that needs no proving. An improved and modified design of the Lee-Metford it was adopted in 1895 and served as England's main battle rifle till 1957. Sixty-two years! And what a grand old girl she is. Chambered for the legendary .303 British the SMLE(affectionately nicknamed the Smelly by our Doughboys) revolutionised battlefield rifle fire. Go read just about any account of the horrible trench warfare of WW1 and you will find counts of the Tommies cycling their SMLEs so fast the Krauts thought they were facing light machine gun fire! God help you if you were marching into to the teeth of that withering fire. This phenomenon even happened a bit in WW2 though by then the trend toward selective fire self loading battle rifles was plain. The SMLE acquitted itself beyond anyone's doubt. Even today they sell very well and are just about as popular as they ever were. Not bad for a one hundred-seven year old

1898 Mauser Gewher 98

Now here is a watershed moment in firearms history. Peter Paul Mauser was a designing genius maybe second only to our own John Moses Browning. And maybe not. The man had a gift for design. The 1898 was the culmination(and to many of us bolt rifle perfection) of his bolt rife designs that started back in 1871 and went through many iterations. Particularly the 1892 and 1895 versions. The 1892 version chambered in 7x57 Masuer gave our boys so much trouble in the Spanish American War of 1898 that our own Springfield Ordnance division aped the 1898 Mauser down to the dimensions of the cartridge head. The action may be slightly longer but the design is all Mauser. It is why I do not give the 1903 Springfield its own listing. It was great but a copy of the greatest. The 98 was chambered in 8x57 Mauser and this combination in one form or another served as Germany's main battle rifle till 1945. Forty-seven years. And I cannot begin to count the nations who used the Mausers in one form or another in various chamberings. Long live the king.

Colt 1911

Here's the one that inspired the thread. Adopted in 1911 it was a culmination of John Browning's earlier self loading pistol designs. He sold the design to Colt and it was adopted in 1911 as the official sidearm of the U.S. Army. Later it was adopted by all the services and many foreign nations later on. It served as our main military handgun for SEVENTY-FOUR years. Finally "replaced"(displaced to many of us) by the Beretta M9 in 1985. Chambered in the superb .45 ACP(Automatic Colt Pistol) round featuring a 230grn hardball bullet at a velocity of around 850fps. This combination earned a deserved reputation as fight stopper. It also developed some asinine myths about taking down everything it came in contact with. Oh well. I will take the myths along with the legends. It also had some badmouthing its accuracy. This was due more to two things. Poor training and soldier discipline. And toward the end of service life old worn out weapons. The design is rock solid and to this day if you venture to pistol competitions the world round the 1911 is still king of the range. And many police and military departments refuse to give it up. And as mentioned the Marines just bought a few MILLION dollars worth of them. One hundred and one years after it its introduction. Obsolete? You be the judge.

Winchester M12

Here's another classic. The Winchester Model 12 pump shotgun. First released in 1912 and discontinued in 1963 it was a legendary hunting arm. But most don't realise it was a superb military weapon. The "trench shotgun" may have came to fame in WW1 with the Winchester model 1897 and its wicked looking exposed hammer but it was quickly superseded by the model 12 for good reason. The 12 had a smoother action and was more reliable. And what's more this is another weapon that served in both world wars, Korea, and into Vitenam. My Da had a close friend who carried one in 'Nam and he told him more than once he would carry it in preference to the early M16. What made the Model 12 so effective, other than its reliability, was its lack of a trigger disconnect. This is what made the 1897 so devastating. After you pulled the trigger you could keep it in its depressed position and upon each forward rack of the slide the gun would fire. If you were experienced you could deliver the seven to nine round capacity of the shotgun in less than ten seconds. Controlling it was another story. Still, the feature made trench and house cleaning a devastating affair for enemy combatants. No one makes use of shotguns, even to this day, like we Americans. The model 12 proved its mettle over and over.

1918 Browning BAR

What say. The BAR? I thought we were talking about portable firearms? Well we are. Yeah, it weighed about 16 pounds and would be more closely aligned with what we would think of as a Squad Automatic Weapon(fancy term for a platoon's light machine gun). Still, it was regularly carried over the shoulder and regularly fired from the shoulder but worked much better of a tripod and was really designed for such use. This war horse fired the .30-06 from an open bolt and was used by both military and civilian criminal alike. Most famously by Clyde Barrow. He would steal BARs from guard armories and of course his antics are well known. The BAR served well for nearly fifty years. Though woefully outdated by the time of the Vietnam war it was there in limited numbers(I think). Forty plus years after its introduction. This iconic piece of American war iron will not easily be forgotten and is instantly recognisable by any fan when it shows up in moves or literature.

Browning Hi Power

Here is another fan favourite and with good reason. Designed by John Moses Browning and introduced by Fabrique Nationale in 1935, this was the second semi automatic pistol design of his to have nearly worldwide adoption by both military and civilian law departments within a few years. Many claim this was what he wanted the 1911 to be but I am not sure of that. I can say this is one of the most beautiful pistols I have ever seen. Particularly for a military sidearm. You can doll up a 1911 to most certainly be beautiful but I always looked at it this way. The stock 1911 is like a mature male African lion; Big, strong, fierce looking, battle scarred, and leaves no doubt it is not to be trifled with. The Hi Power is like a leopard in his prime; Lithe, light of foot, stealthy, deadly and I dare say, sexy.

Both are more than proven but they exude different personalities. I love them both but admit to having a fixation on the 1935 Hi Power. I just never have the money to buy one! One thing I did not know till recently was that both Germany and the Allies used the Hi Power during WW2. The plant in Belgium fell early in the war and being not too dumb the Gerries took up production and used it alongside their Walthers. The Brits adopted it sometime during the war and as far as I know it is still the standard firearm of the British armed forces. Add Canada and Belgium to the list as well. SEVENTY-SEVEN years after its introduction. This one gives apologies to no one.

M1 Garand/M14

Here is another doozy. And I am torn a bit by this. The M14 may be a separate rifle but its origins are clearly based on the M1. The M1 became our standard infantry weapon in 1936. This made America the first world power to adopt a self loading rifle as its main battle rifle. From what I gather development of the Garand really dated clear back to 1919 but I am unsure of that history. I know it was developed by Springfield Armory chiefly by Canadian John Garand. This war horse chambered the superb .30-06 and was declared one of the finest war instruments ever by no less than George Patton. Methinks he may have been right. It changed battlefield tactics for infantry. It was technically our service rifle from 1936 to 1957. But the story does not end there. Even during the late war period Springfield was tinkering with it. Adding selective fire and detachable box magazines. Then later they shortened the action and cartridge. Eventually they wound up with the M14 and the 7.62x57 NATO round. The M14 technically served from 1959 to 1970 as a main battle rifle. However, it is still in service will all branches of the U.S. armed forces in one capacity or another. SEVENTY-SIX years after the antecedent was first adopted. How's that for longevity?

AK 47

Here's another one that speaks for itself. I have a hard time with this weapon. I hated the Soviets and everything they stood for. Many good Russian folk were caught up in things beyond their control. This goes more toward the philosophy of the state. I was just trying explain why I do not have the affection for this weapon like I do western arms. But that is where it ends. Who can argue with results? Designed by mister Kalashnikov in the late forties this is another weapon that made its reputation by ripping off another firearm's design. Namely the 1944 StG 44 developed by the Germans late in WW2. The StG 44's design was a selective fire stamped weapon chambered for a shortened version of the 8mm Mauser round. The rest is history. The AK 47 has to be the most widely distributed firearm of all time. And it's ruggedness and reliability are legend. The 7.62x39 mm round it shoots is probably ideal for actual battlefield confrontation between soldiers. Slightly less powerful than our American .30 WCF(.30-30) it has stood the test of time. Sixty-five years after its introduction it shows absolutely zero chance of being obsolete any time soon. I hate to say it but it is one hell of a weapon.

FN FAL

This is another absolute favourite of mine. I have always loved the FN but I never realised the political intrigue that surrounded the adoption of the rifle and cartridge it chambered. As mentioned above, the U.S. M14 was a continuation of the Garand. The FN FAL(later the L1A1 as adopted by the Brits) chambered our .30 Light Rifle(7.62x51 NATO). What I did not know was that the U.S. came close to adopting the FN rather than the M14. One has to wonder if that would have happened if we would not talk about the FN in the same numbers as the AK47? As it is the FN was referred to as the right arm of the free world. It was adopted by dozens of nations and is still in service around the world. Tens of millions of these have to be out there.

I also did not realise that development on it started about the same time as the AK and that early test versions were chambered in 7.92x33 Kurz! Wow. Talk about history. It was finialised in 1954 and the adoption avalanche started thereafter. As much as I love American martial arms and have no doubts about the M1 or M14, I have to think old Winston may have been right on the money when he was pressuring Truman to adopt the FN. Imagine this scenario. Nearly two centuries before the FN's adoption the American colonists scraped, bickered and finally warred with England using largely English firearms. We made our peace and worked together. Then. almost two hundred years later we actually came close to using common weapons again. This time as allies. I think it would have made a very powerful symbol. Not to mention it would have meant more FNs!

Okay chaps. There's the long version and just my favourites. Other than year of adoption there is no attempt to make a best of the ten declaration. None of them could have done everything on their own so it is impossible for me to go there. An interesting point is that even though I could not serve in the military I have handled or shot many of these weapons. They inspire a confidence and awe that is not to be taken lightly. Millions of people lost life and limb to nations that wielded these weapons. This is my list. Lets hear yours.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
That's an interesting list. Some military weapons that have always intrigued me:

The Broomhandle Mauser. Something about it is just so interesting, and apparently George Lucas agrees.

The United Defense M42. I'm a bit of a WWII history buff, but I didn't know about this 'til recently. Real spy gun!

The 6mm Navy Lee. To this day, when a Marine gets a Good Conduct medal, he gets an image of this obscure rifle.

The Chauchat. Was it really that bad, and if so, why was it the most widely produced machinegun of WWI?

Those are really interesting firearms. The Broomhandle is another iconic pistol almost any gun fancier recognises. I kept my list more toward what I thought was tops in its use and longevity. However, pure sex appeal has to go the 1908 P.08 Luger in my case. God that was a gorgeous pistol. It is recognised by almost anyone. Even those who don't know guns spot it.

And how about those machine guns? I didn't know about the M42 either. And let me assure you, I spent almost all my youth devouring everything I could find related to firearms. I wanted more than anything to be a gunsmith. Finances and logistics prevented it but that did not mean I couldn't read and study them! And shoot them when possible. The M42 is worthy of some investigation.

Likewise the Chauchat. I suppose I may have read about it in yeas past but it certainly jogged no memory. Another one I will have to read up on. Here is another favourite of mine. The 1941 Johnson Rifle. My dad came within a whisper of owning one. His first sgt. back in the 50's had one. My dad had an original 1874 Springfield carbine. Not a rifle, not a cutdown, but an honest to goodness trapdoor carbine. You trapdoor fans know of which I speak. There were not that many made but certainly more than the Johnson. Anyroad, Dad wanted the Johnson, Sarge wanted the Springfield. Dad wanted a straight trade, Sarge said no way for months. So finally dad sold the Springfield to some neighbour kid for $15 and some other items plus some labour around the house. Just because he was tired of waiting for Sarge. In one of those too incredible to believe stories the old first sergeant shows up at dad's house the next day with the Johnson. Ready to trade. Dad was sick. The sarge was furious and dad never did tell him how much he let the carbine go for. He kicked himself for years after that one.

Good list of guns. Now I have some more to study.

Cheers, Todd

Heckler & Koch's series of military arms must be mentioned. I think the delayed-blowback feed system worked very well. I owned an HK91 back in the 80's (still regret selling it!), and I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a more solid, easily field-stripped weapon. I still think that if you ran out of ammo, you'd be able to beat your enemy to death with the bolt assembly. And now EVERYONE seems to be carrying the MP 5 series.

I agree with you on the Garand. I own one, and its a fine weapon. Everyone asks me about it when I'm at the range.

No mention of the M-16? I know it has had its critics, but only the AK-47 beats it for being prolific around the world.

Don

Last edited:
Heckler & Koch's series of military arms must be mentioned. I think the delayed-blowback feed system worked very well. I owned an HK91 back in the 80's (still regret selling it!), and I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a more solid, easily field-stripped weapon. I still think that if you ran out of ammo, you'd be able to beat your enemy to death with the bolt assembly. And now EVERYONE seems to be carrying the MP 5 series.

I agree with you on the Garand. I own one, and its a fine weapon. Everyone asks me about it when I'm at the reange.

No mention of the M-16? I know it has had its critics, but only the AK-47 beats it for being prolific around the world.

Don

Don, excellent and quite valid points. It is why I wanted everyone to chime in on this list. I always enjoy hearing about chaps firsthand experience with firearms. I would like your take on firing the H&K 91. The 91 and 93 were all the rage when I was younger but I do not hear so much about them anymore. Still, almost fifty years later they are being produced and going strong. Speaks well for them.

The H&K Mp5. Is there a more iconic machinenpistole in modern times? Maybe only surpassed by the wicked looks of the Schmisser MP 38 and MP 40 of WW2. And the MP5 is German as well so it is fitting. Even people who don't know guns instantly recognise the MP5 when they see it on the telly. They may not know what it is but they know they've seen it. I would love to run a few mags through one of them sometime.

M16. I suppose you are right but am jaded by the early users. My dad started off with M1's and M1 carbines. He mustered out of the guard in 1960 and did not rejoin till 68 and served through 74. He despised the M16. The ones they gave the guardsmen were likely leftover Vietnam issue and the army being the army in those days likely spent about zero attention on keeping them up. They jammed even when clean and to him seemed sort of delicate. Mostly he told me they just did not inspire confidence and did not feel like a real battle rifle. I am sure the modern M4 variant is much better. And as you point out, it is prolific. As much as I try to overlook it it is now going on it's fiftieth year in one incarnation or another. And is probably the most commercially copied military weapon in the world. Surpassing even the AK and 1911. A very good point you bring up.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
Nice list, but I do feel it is lacking.

I would also substitute out either the Lee Enfield or the K98 for the Mosin-Nagant 1981 for being more influential. Derivatives of the Mosin are still being used actively around the world and that is a testament to the reliability of the rifle and its design. It was the rifle of the Russian revolution, WW1, WW2 (Russian and Finnish soldiers), chinese copies were used by the vietcong in Vietnam, and I bet a few have been fired in Afghanistan and Iraq. Original 1981 bolts are still being used in Finnish army sniper rifles, the Tkiv 85, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62_Tkiv_85. The fact that this gun in some form has survived over 130 years alone qualifies it for this list, the fact that it has been a part of almost every modern war solidifies it's place and it's use in about 40 countries (including the US as the m1916) enforces it.

A strong case for the Moisin Nagant. This is just a fovourites list so list away.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
Springfield 1873 Trapdoor: Every fantasy gun list needs a .45-70 thumper on it. I'll take the carbine version and avoid the Little Big Horn.

Carl Gustaf M45: Every list needs a cool-looking machine pistol too. I'll take the "Swedish K," beautiful weapon.

Mosin Nagant M38: If Mosin Nagants are on the list, I'll take mine nicely Finned. What nice rifles.

Krag Jorgenson 1896: I want one. Bad. Supposedly one of the most buttery-smooth actions ever to grace a bolt rifle. Un-butchered examples are rare as hen's teeth on the gun market in my area. Did I mention I want one?

1911 Colt, Browning 1935, M-1 Garand, Swiss K-31, Swedish 96 Mauser, M 98 Mauser, M2 Browning machine gun, SMLE, 1896 Krag, 1869 Swiss Vetterli( bolt action repeater)

Regarding my HK91, Todd, I owned it during my starving college student days, and I can't say that I put a lot of rounds through it. It was a heavy, solid piece, but the recoil was acceptable even with the very slim body build I had at the time. The sights were terrible, consisting of a rotating peep turret at the back that could only be adjusted with a special tool that didn't come with the gun! It beat the brass up, though; all rounds ejected forcefully and hit the lip of the ejection port, leaving a distinct dent in the case. I wanted a scope for it so bad! The mount was a quick release claw mount, and they used to sell them with high end Teutonic glass from Schmidt & Bender or Zeiss, and they cost more than the rifle itself. The accessories for the HK series was extensive, and was enough to keep a dreamer like me wishing for more things to put on it. But it was not to be. I've always loved the look of guns like these; leafing through Gun Digest wishing I'd own SIG AMT's, CETME's, Valmet's, and other "space guns" brings back fond memories.

I only mentioned the M-16 series because it endured the test of time, despite the stories we've heard about its durability. I owned an AR-15, also, but had no major problem with it. My buddy who served in the Army really didn't like it... he had one fall apart in his hands while firing in full auto, and he also saw them fall apart during bayonet practice. But like the AK-47, they're out there.

Don

Hi Don. Thank you for the reply. The HK91 and its later derivatives have a very devoted following and little wonder. The rifles are known for being double tough and well made. Prices have always kept them away from me but if you want some neat reading head over to HKs American web site. They even have links and photos to all the good gub'ment stuff.

As for the AR it kind of has to have its due. These 'black rifes' are a weird lot to me. One minute I think they are all ugly and not very interesting. The next I find myself quite interested in their design. I have always liked the FN's looks and I don't know why I should prefer it to the AR.

One thing I find hilarious is the reinvention of the wheel that keeps taking place. All these wildcats based on either the 5.56 NATO case or the 7.62 Russian case. Lets see, the .280 British , developed in 1945 chucks a 139 grain projectile at around 2500fps. Look at the Grendel, the 6.8spc, or the 6x45 wildcat. All of them essentially ape the .280 or the 7.62 Russian's ballistics. Albeit in the lighter platform of the AR. It is quite interesting because the 7.92x33 Kurz, .280 Brit, and 7.62 Russkie all have about similar ballistics but are seven decades older than the current bunch.

Of all the newer ones I like the looks of the 6.5 Grendel the best. A shortened Russian round it lobs a 130 grain bullet at around 2500fps. Still, it uses well proven case technology in the Russian diameter brass, a very wide range of bullets in the 6.5mm range, and full functionality in the AR. Pretty nice. The 6.8spc treads similar waters with its .277 diameter bullet at around 2450fps. I am not as enamoured of it as the Grendel. After all this it is also humorous to see the wildcats like .300 black out. How about this? A Grendel or regular 7.62x39mm necked up to 8mm? The 8mm is much more versatile for most hunting purposes than the vaunted .338 bullets. You can get 8's down to about 130 grains and up to 220. And the diameter makes using "heavy" bullets in a round like this feasible in a short action. A nice 150 grain 8mm at around 2250 fps out of an AR is deer medicine out to 200m metres and has bullets that will actually expand at those velocities. Try that with the current .338s designed for magnums. There it is. Just like all the other armchair wildcatters I have just reinvented the 7.92 Kurz.

Cheers, Todd

My top 10 Military fire arms

1. Sig P226 (MK25) - current carry pistol and work great.
2. 1911 - I have love this weapon since I was a kid.
3. M249 SAW - This was my weapon when I was in the army and I just loved the thing. It always work and hit what I was aiming at. I shoot this thing so much that I eventually got to the point I could stand and shoulder the weapon and hit water bottles of the top of targets 50m away.
4. M-16/AR-15 - Just a very versifier platform.
5. M2 Browning - How can this not be on everyone's list. .50 BMG 450-650 rpm and effective rang of 1800m
6. Thompson Sub Machine Gun 0 - Who Doesn't Like throwing .45 ACP 230-Grain at 600 RPM
7. M134 MiniGun - 2000-6000RPM nuff said
8. M14 - Best weapon in the world in my eyes

Hey Richard. Great list and I love those weapons too. My list was for handheld weapons so Ma Deuce got left off. That is no reason for anyone else to feel limited by it. As much as we all love the infantry weapons there is one thing to consider. The 50BMG is arguably the best heavy machine gun ever devised. Both the cartridge and the weapon. Anything larger is really into cannon territory. The.50 perfectly fills the gap between SAW and cannon. It entered service in 1920 and I would wager it will still be in use in 2050. At least. It has been installed on wheeled vehicles, prop powered fighters, boats, and evev the Phalanx ship defense sysstem. It is in use by virtually every western nation and I believe a good part of the pan Pacific nations. What a storied career.

Cheers, Todd

Top Bottom