What's new

American Idol....who Do You Think ????

Jordin Sparks

'American Idol' Semifinalist
Hometown: Glendale, AZ
Song: Pat Benatar's 'Heartbreaker'
Grade: B+ (upgraded for her endearment)

While the backup singers saved her on most of the risky cover's tunelessness, Jordin possesses a charm. What she lacks in experience she makes up for in stage presence and her inherent joviality, as her tendency to go flat (or sharp) still towers above most of her competitors on delight alone, male and female, whether they're on-key or not. How far she'll be able to sustain is anyone's guess, but I hope she sticks around. The girl's got it!

Prediction: Safe

more

Sabrina Sloan

Hometown: Studio City, CA
Song: En Vogue's 'Don't Let Go'
Grade: B

Sabrina started the season like a powder keg while giving off sparks, but she has faltered since. Not that she's in the same 20,000-leagues-under-the-sea as Antonella (or Haley) but if she wants to sustain, she needs to follow Simon's advice: less mechanics, more aesthetic. She started wobbly and pitchy (I hate that word). In head register, her inclination is to go flat, especially when reaching for the high notes she just can't achieve, and that last note was a stinker. Once she finds her comfort zone, she might actually wow us yet.

Prediction: Probably safe, but she's losing ground

more

Antonella Barba

Hometown: Point Pleasant, NJ
Song: Corinne Bailey Rae's 'Put Your Records On'
Grade: D-

It is absurd to suggest that Antonella be asked to leave the competition because a few private Kodak moments were leaked online. Sure, in the modern age of instant fame it is silly to think these moderate, sexy but bottom-line non-explicit photos would NOT find their way onto the www the second she made it to Hollywood. But these were personal, not professional, so cut her some slack. That said, I'm not sure if it's VoteForTheWorst.com that's keeping her cozy, or her deranged Fantonellas, which, ironically enough, love her for her 'courage' in these 'trying times.' That said, her presence here is the most blatant display of va-va-voom over voice and fan base over ability. She is season 6's version of Ryan Starr, Jasmine Trias or any other number of unworthy Idol semifinalists.

Prediction (Plea): going... going... gone.

more

Haley Scarnato

Hometown: San Antonio, TX
Song: Faith Hill's 'If My Heart Had Wings'
Grade: C

Snoozy and banal are the two words that come to mind when pondering Haley. As a performer she has the Vegas styling down pat, a la Kathie Lee Gifford at The Bellagio. Her proclivity to sing below the proper key is a major hindrance on a vocal range that's nearly non-existent to begin with. And I never thought I'd say this about a Faith Hill song, but please, more bombast!

Prediction: Flying home on her wingless heart

more

Stephanie Edwards

Hometown: Savannah, GA
Song: Chaka Kahn's 'Sweet Thing'

I can't believe I'm writing this, but Randy was actually astute in his assessment of Stephanie tonight. It wasn't a grand performance –- she warbled in the higher register and the next to last note was terrifying. She's a genuine talent but undertaking Chaka is a risk, so I'm a little nervous.

Prediction: Safe (fingers crossed)

more

Lakisha Jones

Hometown: Fort Meade, MD
Song: Whitney Houston's 'I Have Nothing'
Grade: A-

Hmmm. Is this a double dose of Jennifer Hudson from Lakisha Jones? Okay, I'm stretching it ... a bit. But after the universal hosannas she received with 'I Am Telling You I'm Not Going' (which I found over-praised by the judges, but wonderful nonetheless), tonight Lakisha takes on one of JHud's most memorable Idol performances. I thought she would lose her wig with all that power, as this was actually better than the aforementioned 'Dreamgirls' number. I'm still weary of the judge's exaltations –- it seems whenever there's a big-boned African American with a powerhouse voice, their predisposition is to overvalue too soon. Still, Lakisha proves she's in it to win it and we'll see how far the same Americans who let John Stevens and Jasmine Trias through over Hudson, will let Lakisha sail.

Prediction: What do you think?

more

Gina Glocksen

Hometown: Naperville, IL
Song: Evanescence's 'Call Me When You're Sober'
Grade: C+

Like Season 1's Nikki McKibbin (the first incarnation of what the judges deem 'edgy rocker chick'), Gina's the best darned local battle-of-the-cover-band vocalist in Naperville. She hoots and hollers like Amy Lee's lost deranged cousin, while missing more notes than actually hitting –- especially that braying at the end.

Prediction: She ain't going nowhere

more

Melinda Doolittle

Hometown: Brentwood, TN
Song: Peggy Lee's 'I'm A Woman'
Grade: A

Can we just call it a season and bequeath the crown? From her 'For Once In My Life' audition to last week's classic 'My Funny Valentine,' no one in memory has been so consistently magical. Her voice is as big as a Macy's parade, her tone is pure ecstasy and her unique phrasing is enchantingly original. She's such a paradigm you wonder where she's been your whole life. She displayed a brassy, vampy moxie tonight that adds another color to her rainbow glow. Am I gushing? To paraphrase Simon's appraisal of Tamyra from season 1: if she doesn't win this whole damned thing there should be rioting in the streets.

Prediction: Well, duh!

more

Blake Lewis

Hometown: Bothell, WA
Song: 311's 'All Mixed Up'
Grade: B- (docked a grade for admitting aloud 311 is his favorite band)

Improv comedy is Blake's great reveal and judging by that Blue Collar Tour bit only Larry The Cable Guy would be proud of, he should stick to his beat-boxing shtick -- just not on Idol. Indecipherable and tuneless (and out of breath once the reggae refrain began) the audience sat catatonic until Blake had to motion them to get up and boogie. The song ends abruptly, thankfully, but I have to give Blake his propers for being somewhat current (if you want to claim 12 years ago as current). Paula and Randy bestow their usual praise on him, while I agree with Simon who stated his safety. If this were any other year, I'd be irate that he's made it this far, but in the realm of Season 6's male finalists, Blake is a stand out.

more

Sanjaya Malakar

Hometown: Federal Way, WA
Song: John Mayer's 'Waiting On The World To Change'

Dont you wish your boyfriend were hot like Sanjaya? Well, don'cha? Because Sanjaya certainly thinks he is – after all, while he lived in Hawaii, he learned to hula dance, and he displays his technique like it's National Coming Out Day at "Kāla'au Ken's Fusion Waikiki" in Honolulu. With his flat-ironed hair, double earrings and caked on makeup, his more butch sister sits home and laughs a vindictive laugh as her brother goes down in flames (no pun intended... well, maybe...). While he's more audible than last week, where his pansexual cooing gave the creeps to every witness, his miniscule vocal range, poor song choices and awkward choreography proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Sanjaya is in the wrong reality contest – he needs to hop the next flight to the CW's "Pussycat Dolls Presents: The Search For The Next Doll."

Prediction: Safe. His fan base is scarily strong.

more

Sundance Head

Hometown: Porter, TX
Song: Pearl Jam's 'Jeremy'

If Sundance Head is anything, it's limited. (And comedy isn't his strong suit either; his 'I wear a fat suit' revelation/gag fell as flat as Sanjaya's hair). No, his restriction is a vocal range utilized for any genre other than what he does best. Choosing an incorrect song yet again, he gasps, he grunts and he bellows through this number like there was a Texas barbeque at the other end, catching none of the intestinal desperation that Eddie Vedder discharged in the original; only parched for air during his over-pronounced take.

more

Chris Richardson

Hometown: Chesapeake, VA
Song: Keith Urban's 'Tonight I Wanna Cry'

Like last season Top 12 finalist, Ace, Chris will get by on his great looks in lieu of quasi-talent, because if there is a modicum of facility within him, it's overwhelmed by the reams of mucous membranes. This kid's nasality makes Ace Young sound adenoid-less, (although Ace makes Chris sound like Pavarotti) and like Young, he has no control over his quivering vocal whimpering. He started the song off flat, and it went downhill from there, straining his narrow range to a near-combustion - for a moment I wasn't sure if he realized that he was sitting on a wooden stool, not a porcelain toilet. Makes one ponder just what Randy meant when he stated he liked Chris' runs.

more

Jared Cotter

Hometown: Kew Gardens, NY
Song: Stevie Wonder's 'If You Really Love Me'

Dear Stevie, since the time I was a lad very few have inspired me musically as you have. So please issue a Cease And Desist order to the "American Idol" producers as a call for a moratorium on your canon. Season after season they try and try, and we wonder 'Why?' And now we can add Jared's name to the list of pretentious attempts. This guy is in love... and it's with himself.

Prediction: Going home. I hope.

more

Brandon Rogers

Hometown: North Hollywood, CA
Song: Rare Earth's 'I Just Want To Celebrate'
Grade: B-

With a revealed classical piano skill, this background singer who shined during auditions has given none of his fans THE performance that is inherent but veiled. And unfortunately, that might be his downfall. It hurts your cause when you choose generic R&B ('Rock With You,') safe pop ('Time After Time') and cover a defunct all-white Motown group from the 70s who's biggest hit was used in a Ford commercial a few years back. Brandon is one of the finest singers this season, but his routines have been so unremarkable that even Simon called him Travis by mistake.

Prediction: Safe, if only because I hope he steps up.

more

Phil Stacey

Hometown: Jacksonville, FL
Song: LeAnn Rimes' 'I Need You'
Grade: D

I'm not sure what was more frightening tonight; Phil's hilariously wrong cacophony, or Randy comparing him to Steve Perry. Looking like Steve Buscemi on the set of "Powder II" and wheezing like the ghost of Anita Baker's career, this was clearly the worst vocal of the night, so ostentatious and so self-indulgent and disharmonious that his surprised reaction at the judge's negativity was priceless. This might be the most murderous cover this season (take that Sanjaya).

Prediction: Going home... where he belongs with his wife and kids.

more

Chris Sligh

Hometown: Greenville, SC
Song: DC Talk's 'We All Want To Be Blessed'

Clearly the best male vocalist of this season, but in a gaggle of over baked ganders, is that such high praise? He was also the winner tonight by decree; the least dismal of a gag-fest permeated with the most depressing male finalists since season 1. Indisputably his weakest turn-at-bat yet, lacking his usual flair for a fine-tuned delivery and smooth supple tones, instead, wafting off-kilter one time too many. His quandary with pacing and phrasing wasn't as noticeable as usual (but it was there). His religious proclivity has no bearing on his talent, of course, but I was wondering when his devout education was going to rear its zealot head, and this Bob Jones University alum 'came out' via a song by a Christian rock band.

Prediction: And God said unto the earth, 'Let Chris Be Safe'

Good stuff Mark! For the most part, I'm with you in your assessments of the contestants.

My predictions for tonight are Sanjaya and Antonella...as for the other two, it's kind of a crapshoot for me.

Well crap. I was really hoping that tripe wouldn't make it to the forum but I guess it's taking over the universe. It wouldn't be so bad if they actually had people with original talent. I don't really consider any of them musicians. Any monkey can learn how to sing someone else's song pretty well. How about writing and playing your own music? American Idol is a Karaoke contest at best and at it's worst promotes cruelty, humiliation, shallowness, mediocrity and false idols. In my opinion, it is one of the underlying problems with our society today. I just can't bring myself to watch it. I'd rather read about wet-shaving!

So obviously, I've seen the show before. Even this season, and I like Chris Sligh.
For lot's of reasons really but mainly because he's got a good personality and seems to be able to sing a little, AND he doesn't fit the cookie cutter "American NO-talent Pop-Idol Barbie doll hack" that has been thrust upon us by the main stream music industry (see Brittany Spears for example).

My favorite is Melinda. I think the timid, "I don't know why they think I'm so good" reaction thing is getting a little old (especially now that she's in the finals), but she's one helluva singer. Brandon is my favorite guy, but I think the male talent truly sucks this season and I'll be absolutely shocked if one of the women doesn't win.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well crap. I was really hoping that tripe wouldn't make it to the forum but I guess it's taking over the universe. It wouldn't be so bad if they actually had people with original talent. I don't really consider any of them musicians. Any monkey can learn how to sing someone else's song pretty well. How about writing and playing your own music? American Idol is a Karaoke contest at best and at it's worst promotes cruelty, humiliation, shallowness, mediocrity and false idols. In my opinion, it is one of the underlying problems with our society today. I just can't bring myself to watch it. I'd rather read about wet-shaving!

So obviously, I've seen the show before. Even this season, and I like Chris Sligh.
For lot's of reasons really but mainly because he's got a good personality and seems to be able to sing a little, AND he doesn't fit the cookie cutter "American NO-talent Pop-Idol Barbie doll hack" that has been thrust upon us by the main stream music industry (see Brittany Spears for example).

+1 but if people want to discuss it here then that's okay with me.

My favorite is Melinda. I think the timid, "I don't know why they think I'm so good" reaction thing is getting a little old (especially now that she's in the finals), but she's one helluva singer. Brandon is my favorite guy, but I think the male talent truly sucks this season and I'll be absolutely shocked if one of the women doesn't win.

x10

+1 but if people want to discuss it here then that's okay with me.

I really don't mind. I was kind of surprised to see it come up though. As much as I hate the show, I can see how it could become addicting. I watched the first parts where they were weeding them down and doing the initial auditions but now it just pisses me off because it seems like it's on every day and all the good shows (well decent anyway) are pushed off the schedule. I'm over it already. It's not like any of them were very good in the first place and now we have to suffer listening to all of them every day? Oh well, to each his own.

:001_smile

'American Idol' whittled down to 12

By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer Tomorrow at 2:09 am
"American Idol" slimmed down the competition Thursday night, leaving 12 finalists to compete for the ultimate prize _ a record contract. Antonella Barba, Sabrina Sloan, Jared Cotter and Jason "Sundance" Head were voted off Thursday in phone voting, which drew about 37 million calls and text messages from viewers.
The performers who made the cut are Blake Lewis, LaKisha Jones, Chris Sligh, Jordin Sparks, Phil Stacey, Melinda Doolittle, Brandon Rogers, Gina Glocksen, Chris Richardson, Stephanie Edwards, Haley Scarnato and Sanjaya Malakar.
During the show's sixth season, men and women have been competing separately, with viewers voting off two of each sex weekly. When the dozen finalists return Tuesday, the sexes will be blended, with one singer voted off each week. The winner will be crowned during the finale in May.
"American Idol" is again dominating the ratings, attracting between 27 million and 37 million viewers per telecast this season.

Hey Sanjaya....its a singing contest. What are you doing here?

Damn junior high girls keep voting for him and God knows why, he's absolutely terrible. It's a shame Sundance went home over him.

The unfortunate part is this really isn't a singing contest, it's a popularity contest. That's why so often more talented people leave and idiots stay. I worry for Melinda, I think she's fantastic, but she is very shy and in today looks-obsessed world, she's not as pretty as the other girls. It pains me to say this, but that could cost her. It shouldn't, but it probably will.

Kind of a weak season like three was. The stand-outs in the group are not really that unique or talented in comparison to the wider market.

The first two and past two seasons had some folks that were very good at what they did and what they did was a little fresh in the current market. Of course 19 productions has a way of squashing that originality under layers of poorly written material and over-produced recording, but that's another issue.

he grunts and he bellows through this number like there was a Texas barbeque at the other end, catching none of the intestinal desperation that Eddie Vedder discharged in the original; only parched for air during his over-pronounced take.

It was difficult to watch. But to his credit he tried not to sing it like Vedder, in contrast to one bald headed guy last season whose chief approach to all his songs seemed to be "what would Eddie do?"

I think Haley is about the prettiest one for my....Randy should like her also...she is from texas....I'd shine her shoes...

mark tssb

You are insinuating that I watch this show! I watch the tryouts...those are entertaining. Other than that, I don't usually bother. Now, give me a woman who sounds like Martina McBride...well, just give me Martina McBride, and I'll be happy!

Randy

......Jared Cotter .......... voted off Thursday in phone voting,

He sang his song last week in an argyle sweater and all I could think about was David Alan Grier and B.B. King in Amazon Women on the Moon:lol:

I tried to find a clip of it on the web to show my kids but no luck.

You are insinuating that I watch this show! I watch the tryouts...those are entertaining. Other than that, I don't usually bother. Now, give me a woman who sounds like Martina McBride...well, just give me Martina McBride, and I'll be happy!

Randy
RANDY SHE SOUNDED GOOD...REAL GOOD...maybe not good enough to win, but she could sing to me while I'm shaving...

she sort of has that Marie Osmond/Linda Blair look about her...and has all of her teeth, too.

mark tssb

Top Bottom