What's new

Any sushi lovers? Tell me about your wasabi usage.

I tend to use generous portions of wasabi when eating sushi....probably the equivalent of a length of tooth paste mixed in with soy sauce

I am a low to medium user of wasabi. But 10 or so years ago, I used to go to the Holiday Inn on the frontage road off of 101 and Lawrence (later a Ramada Inn). I used to get some great looks from folks when I mentioned that I went to Holiday Inn for sushi! But there was a very good sushi bar there and quite a few visiting Japanese business folk stayed there. And once you got to know the chef, it was a very, very good experience. I did learn to drink cold sake there, thank you very much.

I remember one night there that a Japanese woman was eating her sushi and what she did was make a shoyu flavored wasabi paste which she dipped her sushi in like a potato chip in dip. She may not have liked the taste of fish or rice. :lol: :lol:

Nihon-jin she most certainly was though.

-jim

I have never posted in this part of the site but when I saw the title of this thread I couldn't resist.:w00t: I enjoy sushi about once a week a my favorite local sushi restaurant "Sushi Delight". I'm going tonight for SWMBO's birthday. I like the wasabi/soy mix with the lite soy(green top). I use a lot of wasabi and you can tell by the color. Will post some pics of the prep later. :thumbup1:

Oh man, I loooooove sushi rolls!

I am going to eat a tofu sushi roll soon. I put a few drops of soy sause on the bite of roll and then put about a nail head size of wasabi on top, its just perfect (I don't like it too hot).

Just finished up here are the pics of the wasabi/soy prep. After the last pic you can add more soy depending on how hot you want it.

Last edited:
Bladerunner,

It's so nice of you to provide pics of your soy/wasabi mixture! Thank you!

Nice fingernails, by the way. Are you a wetshaver, or do you come to B&B to discuss another hobby?

You know, just out of curiosity, I was looking through your other posts. It was becoming apparent through them that you're either a man or a tranny.

No offense to trannies, of course. Attending drag queen shows with a gay friend of mine is one of my favorite pastimes.

Give my regards to the wife/hand model.

There should already be some wasabi on nigiri; sushi chefs use it to stick the fish to the rice---more for fatty fish, less for more delicately flavored ones.

I don't mix the soy and wasabi in the dipping tray---I drop the wasabi onto the tray in several chunks, then pour the soy over it. This is a kaseki thing; the wasabi represents the islands of Japan and the soy the surrounding ocean.

It gradually mixes just from the dipping, getting stronger and stronger over the course of the meal.

NANP™

I've always mixed mine with soy sauce until I get it just right. That's the only way I've been shown so I don't do if I'm even doing it right. Is there a right or wrong way?

++1 - Exactly how I use it as well

My wife wasn't too keen on sushi at first either. I've had to get her used to it slowly. I started off with the cooked variety: unagi, salmon skin, etc, as well as California roll. Once she got used to that I had her try Ebi (shrimp), Hamachi (yellow tail), Maguro (tuna), Toro (fatty tuna), Saba (mackerel), & Sake (salmon).

Try making your own. It's not that hard.

Wasabi is a great condiment on a number of other goods as well. For sushi i cut it with soy sauce, but i also love it mixed with mayo and put on a roast beef sandwich...among other things. :w00t:

Thanks

Whoa, that's WAY too much wasabi! Can you taste the sushi at all???
As I said, it's used like salt or pepper - a tiny bit is all you need.

Yeah I know it looks crazy but the wasabi isn't that hot there. Also I did add more soy after that last pic. I mix it like that at first so there is no chunks then I add more soy depending on how hot I want it. Here is the pic after the fact

Top Bottom