What's new

Any soaps you won't buy again?

MWF, Cella and Proraso Red. They all horribly burn my face.

It's a real shame on the Proraso Red. I love the scent, and the White, Green and Blue soaps and creams give me a great shave.

Nearly all of these soaps make excellent lather, but something about their fragrance puts me off. A few, though, smelled fine but irritated my skin (*).

Absinthe (Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations) a blast of star anise obliterates the wormwood and herbs
Bay Rum (Turtleship) weak, wimpy bay rum, the antithesis of what this fragrance should be
Coconut Oud (Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations) sweet, sticky coconut without much oud
Dama de Noche (Eufros) sickeningly sweet jasmine
Eton College* (Taylor of Old Bond Street) smells delightful, but the cushion is threadbare
Hallows (Barrister & Mann) dirty candy the kids brought home from trick or treating
La Poire Française* (Henri & Victoria) my face looked and smelled like a roasted pear
Leviathan (Barrister & Mann) spilled coffee and dirty ashtrays
Midnight Stag (Chiseled Face) oily rags left to dry on a stack of dirty tires
Nocturne* (Barrister & Mann) apple juice that burns like gasoline
Orange Patchouli (Obsessive Soap Perfectionist) a crate of moldy oranges
Oud Neroli (Le Père Lucien) Right Guard, circa 1979
Pine & Cedar (Mike's Natural Soap) turpentine and sawdust
Pompelmo (Wholly Kaw) rubber toys
Scots Pine Sheep (Stirling) tallow, tallow, tallow, pine
Summer Rose (Cold River Soap Works) bathroom air freshener at grandma's house
Ylang-Ylang (Eufros) absolutely authentic, but way too sweet

perhaps the better question should be "What Soaps Would You Buy If You Had To Start Over From Scratch?".

Totally agree. I've tried plenty of soaps that are quite good, but I would not buy again because there are so many others I would like to try. Only the most exceptional soaps merit a repeated purchase.

Nearly all of these soaps make excellent lather, but something about their fragrance puts me off. A few, though, smelled fine but irritated my skin (*).
. . . . Eton College* (Taylor of Old Bond Street) smells delightful, but the cushion is threadbare . . .

TOBS doesn't offer Eton College in a shaving soap, unless I'm mistaken.

Regardless, in spite of fragrance differences, and based on performance or the absence thereof, I will never buy Williams again. Same for Trumper's, which is as bad as Williams, probably even worse. Costs about 20 times as much as Williams, which, to it's credit, has never claimed to be as pretentious as the obnoxious Trumper's. Also with lousy performance is Durance L'Ome from somewhere in Europe.

Last edited:
Cella. While it gave me a good shave and I've like the smell after ~6-8 months it started to turn rancid. While this highly disputed I've never had anything like this with other soaps.

Grooming Dept: His scents are not for me.

Anything menthol due to face sensitivity.

Any scent based on Creed Aventis. I bought Executive Man sample from Stirling. The scent is horrible. I don't understand how so many people love it.

Luckily, I have found what I like and what works for me. Of course, that took money.

Top Bottom