What's new

Any soaps you won't buy again?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Any particular reason? I’ve been tempted to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
upload_2018-11-11_11-57-0.gif

I ordered 4 GD soaps on October 28th and they have yet to me sent. The owner has claimed to be sick and postponed shipping several times. Getting them is difficult since his delivery history is spotty. It is just a hassle compared to easily obtaining other soaps which are equal in performance.

I ordered 4 GD soaps on October 28th and they have yet to me sent. The owner has claimed to be sick and postponed shipping several times. Getting them is difficult since his delivery history is spotty. It is just a hassle compared to easily obtaining other soaps which are equal in performance.

Thanks

The guy was dealing with kidney stones and failed to send out a notification that shipping would be delayed.
This ticked folks off even before they knew that the guy was having problems and it just kinda got out of control.
Before the health issue his soaps were highly regarded, I would think that this issue will be forgotten soon and
the vendor will get back to the business of making soap and everyone will be happy.

The guy was dealing with kidney stones and failed to send out a notification that shipping would be delayed.
This ticked folks off even before they knew that the guy was having problems and it just kinda got out of control.
Before the health issue his soaps were highly regarded, I would think that this issue will be forgotten soon and
the vendor will get back to the business of making soap and everyone will be happy.

Thanks.
I have one of his early soaps (L&L brand).
It’s hard having your own business, when it’s just a one-man business.

Once was enough for Williams - can't stand the scent

Stirling Hot Apple Cider. Great scent but the cinnamon is too much. No major irritation issues like others have had, but hot enough to be borderline uncomfortable and cause some sensitivity. Need a couple more uses to decide if I'll keep the sample and finish it or pass it along.

Stirling Hot Apple Cider. Great scent but the cinnamon is too much. No major irritation issues like others have had, but hot enough to be borderline uncomfortable and cause some sensitivity. Need a couple more uses to decide if I'll keep the sample and finish it or pass it along.
After trying their pumpkin spice a few years ago and hearing similar complaints I've sworn off any Stirling products where cinnamon or cloves is a major part of the scent profile. I don't know why, but they seem to like drowning out the rest of the profile with spice (which also leads to unpleasant heat).

Thanks.
I have one of his early soaps (L&L brand).
It’s hard having your own business, when it’s just a one-man business.

Just FYI - L&L is now Declaration Grooming (not Grooming Dept). Whenever someone uses the abbreviation "DG" or "GD" I always have to think twice while processing the info.

Modern Williams. Too hard and finicky to get the lather right.
Anything menthol or eucalyptus, like Proraso.
Tabac. Absolutely wretched odor to me. I cannot even call it a scent, it is an odor.
PAA, Phoenix, whatever it's called today. It had a musty undertone to both I have tried.

I'm at the point in my journey that I know what I like, and want to enjoy my shaves, not wonder if that new soap will be good enough. Mike's, B&M and Arko for soaps, and Mugso and Palmolive for creams. Once I am done using up the other brands that I have, I don't see myself buying anything else.

Tabac. Absolutely wretched odor to me. I cannot even call it a scent, it is an odor.
This is surprising to me. I know we all like different things, but Tabac smells so good I can’t imagine anyone not liking it. I can possibly see it not being someone’s favorite scent, but in my mind the scent would at a minimum be at least pleasant to them.
I have a lot of soaps that I really like the scent of. But when I finally tried Tabac I knew I had found a keeper. The instant that I smelled it I was hooked for life. The scent was so good that had its performance been terrible it would still be my go to soap for the glorious scent alone.
On that note, it’s performance it’s stellar. It’s ease of lather is second to none. And it’s scent, in my mind it’s what the Angels Of Heaven are going to smell like. I’m truly stunned whenever I hear someone say that they can’t stand the scent.
I like it so much that I use Tabac shaving soap, cream, aftershave, cologne, deodorant, bath soap and hair tonic. I have even sent several emails requesting that they start making a Tabac scented toothpaste and mouthwash.
Sorry for my ramblings, but I can’t get enough of the Tabac scent.

This is surprising to me. I know we all like different things, but Tabac smells so good I can’t imagine anyone not liking it.
It seems that everyone's noses pick up different things from every scent profile, especially Tabac's. Personally, I get 100% baby powder from it. Not offensive, but also not a scent I will ever look forward to.

Arko- I find it quite drying, and the scent is not a favourite
Tabac- The jokes about the purse aren’t far off
DR Harris- Was ok, but not worth the price

B&M Reserve Classic -
B&M Seville -
Both cause facial irritation for me. Classic is a mess to build a proper lather.

Unfortunately, I'm in the Razorock group. The scents are great, but the glide and post shave feel aren't there. I liked the performance of WSP products, but I must be allergic to something in it. Awful burn after using it.

1. Proraso green and white (horrible scents)
  2. Vitos green tube menthol-eucalyptus
  3. Fine Citrus
  4. Bay rums in general
  5. le père lucien "mr barbier"
  6. Stirling soap Sunflower fields (impossible to load the brush!)
  7. RR The Stallion (strong scent)
  8. Geo Trumper Violet cream (chemical scent)
  9. DR Harris Arlington, chemical scent which gave me irritations, very expensive for the quality offered!
  10. Myrsol liquid shaving cream
  11. Lucky Tiger Mollé (disgusting product, does not lather up, chemical scent
  12. Blackship grooming la Concorde, heated my face (allergy maybe...?)
  13. OSP Neroli cream, difficut to get it melted in the bowl, many residual pieces at the bottom!), so so scent!
  14. Wickham soap, Club Cola, very good quality but the scent is too sweet for me, tends to upset my stomach!
  15. Antigua barberia de barrio cream
  16. Proraso blue cream, no protection at all for the skin, but very nice liquorice scent!

Last edited:
Top Bottom